The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #29,986 of 88,910
Off of The Queen Is Dead.

There is a Light that Never Goes Out.

Was a track I listened to so so many times,
this is the If A Double Decker Buss Crashes Into Us, song. Kind of dark but happy at the same time.
This track is as good as pop music gets for me.

My favorite off that album and the first song of theirs I ever heard.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #29,987 of 88,910
You’re in for a treat. Excellent, extremely fun IEMs.

I can't wait. I should have gotten mine today but DHL messed up-- possibly tomorrow but most likely Monday now.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #29,988 of 88,910
my first album ever

BB3D49F7-D76E-4F32-87DC-29EDEAF1E071.jpeg

my mom bought the cassette for me 😊
My daughter was into them, when she was 15. Always let my kids play their tunes in my car when we drive together. Sometimes we would take turns and I could try and play some tunes for them. They are all grown now, they have their own cars.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #29,989 of 88,910
Nope, jewel is way way way beyond my pricing comfort zone or what is worth it for me in this hobby. That would be the szalayi.
Regardless of price, she is beautiful. Enjoy!
Who exactly are these "experts"? I am the only expert that matters for my own listening, and I'm quite happy to listen to anything from any decade, as long as it gives me that dopamine hit.

How can there be anything objective about it? Not having a go or anything, but which year or decade is 'the best' has to be the most subjective thing of this hobby.

This is an interesting topic. My 2 cents:

In terms of what music creates enjoyment for the individual its hard to argue against a subjective view. I.e. If someone genuinely finds Mongolian throat singing for hours calming, who am I to say that it isn't?

Because music trends, you can make an objective claim that more quantity of a music genre is created with each decade. During that time period, musicians are not only inspired, there is a monetary incentive to push the limit to stand out. Thus when there is a higher amount of that music genre being produced, theres a higher likelihood that the gems, the all time greats were.

An example is Jazz. This used to get way more mainstream coverage from the 1920s to 1940s played everywhere. In 2022, at least for millenials, its more of a social thematic event.

Screenshot_20220722-164725_Chrome.jpg

Its same way for big band classical. According to Google the most popular classical composers are:

VCBkGEg2jNZVCbrV1WJYVYCFIINKZiED2xIzwGlUvF4.png

^Notice the frequency of the time period.

Current Gen Z / millenials listen to lots of R&B, more pop ( K-pop too). In 100 years, when people want to listen to K-Pop they will probably rewind back to 2020s.

Screen-Shot-2021-11-16-at-5.47.51-PM.png

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #29,990 of 88,910
Division Bell
The Downward Spiral
Jar of Flies
Protection
Illmatic
Blackstreet
Mellow Gold
Amber
Second Coming
Definitely Maybe
Vitalogy
Superunknown
Dummy
Smash
Lifeforms
Welcome to Sky Valley
Musik

I think 1994 is probably my favourite decade of the 1990s and would be top 3 for me along with 1969 and 1973.

For the 1980s...

Graceland
License to Ill
Somewhere in Time
Kicking against the Pricks
Crowded House
Peace Sells
Master of Puppets
Reign in Blood
So
The Colour of Spring
Control
Invisible Touch
True Blue
Brotherhood
Life's Rich Pageant
The Queen is Dead
Slppery When Wet

1986 is my favorite.
Crowded House is one of my favorite bands ever. Got into them along with The Smiths while working at the campus radio station in college.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #29,992 of 88,910
You’re in for a treat. Excellent, extremely fun IEMs.

Indeed they certainly seem to be from some quick listening. I am having a little bit of a tough time nailing down exactly why, but they are extremely engaging and I am really enjoying them.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions! :)

Well first thing... they are big, i mean with a 10mm DD and a 14mm planar I was expecting that. I have some fit concerns, but havent had a long enough listening session to really figure out if they are going to cause me problems. There are however no even remotely sharp edges or corners on this thing so hopefully thatll help. The cable is really nice for a stock cable. Soft and supple, and microphonics seem to be pretty low.

Anyways as I said above, I am having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around these. So, they are bassy. Theres a lot of bass. And I love it. They dont seem to bleed at all into the mids, which is nice. I think to prevent that, mids are maybe a little bit on the thinner side, but they are still decently forward. Male vocals maybe slightly less so than female. Treble feels pretty smooth to me, but with maybe enough of a boost lower down to give things a little bit of contrast so they arent too smoothed out.

Interesting, but really engagingly tuned. Gotta do some tip rolling here, but I think Ill be happy to keep this in my admittedly small collection.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #29,993 of 88,910
Indeed they certainly seem to be from some quick listening. I am having a little bit of a tough time nailing down exactly why, but they are extremely engaging and I am really enjoying them.

Well first thing... they are big, i mean with a 10mm DD and a 14mm planar I was expecting that. I have some fit concerns, but havent had a long enough listening session to really figure out if they are going to cause me problems. There are however no even remotely sharp edges or corners on this thing so hopefully thatll help. The cable is really nice for a stock cable. Soft and supple, and microphonics seem to be pretty low.

Anyways as I said above, I am having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around these. So, they are bassy. Theres a lot of bass. And I love it. They dont seem to bleed at all into the mids, which is nice. I think to prevent that, mids are maybe a little bit on the thinner side, but they are still decently forward. Male vocals maybe slightly less so than female. Treble feels pretty smooth to me, but with maybe enough of a boost lower down to give things a little bit of contrast so they arent too smoothed out.

Interesting, but really engagingly tuned. Gotta do some tip rolling here, but I think Ill be happy to keep this in my admittedly small collection.
Thank you, I do want a planar “bass-oriented” IEM. May get it eventually after giving my wallet some rest from upcoming audio indulgences haha

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #29,994 of 88,910
Thank you, I do want a planar “bass-oriented” IEM. May get it eventually after giving my wallet some rest from upcoming audio indulgences haha
Hard to really tell though what the planar is actually responsible for. My guess here would likely be the mids and that the DD is handling the bass, but who knows. I also don't really hear any obvious crossover points or coherence "issues" though I have never been great at being able to hear those things on well tuned hybrids.

Again, so far, thumbs up from me. Ill have to do some comparisons to my Duo and Jolene soon, but if they prove to be comfortable I could see myself reaching for them first, thought hat may be a new toy syndrome thing.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #29,995 of 88,910
Looking through the top 10s for each year. Hard to choose the best year between the 70s and 80s. Definitely the best 20 years of the last century for me.

http://www.aandadj.com/Top-Ten-Songs-of-Each-Year.html

If I have to choose one year. This is it.

1. When Doves Cry - Prince
2. Like a Virgin - Madonna
3. What's Love Got To Do With It? - Tina Turner
4. Born In the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
5. Purple Rain - Prince
6. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
7. Dancing In the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
8. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
9. Careless Whisper - Wham! feat. George Michael
10. Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #29,996 of 88,910
Has anyone heard or have any interest in the Pathfinder A&K collab with CFA? I'm a big fan of the Solaris 2020 and curious if anyone has had a chance to hear it.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #29,997 of 88,910

1. When Doves Cry - Prince
2. Like a Virgin - Madonna
3. What's Love Got To Do With It? - Tina Turner
4. Born In the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
5. Purple Rain - Prince
6. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
7. Dancing In the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
8. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
9. Careless Whisper - Wham! feat. George Michael
10. Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2
May I pose another question for the Watercooler?

Name a popular artist or band you just can't seem to appreciate.

My answer: Prince.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #29,998 of 88,910
Thankfully the hobby has progressed well beyond this with some brands and gear seemingly catering for stuff like your party music. Giving it a spin just now with the Xe6, f-ing epic!!

Yeah, there are definitely more choices these days for electronic / bassy music. I think the first IEM I heard which had an addicting bass presentation for me was the original Campfire Vega which came out in 2016-ish, which was before the Legend X and Z1R came out which continued the trend. While there were some bassy IEMs before the Vega, I don't think the bass quality was quite there yet for me from what I remember.

Yeah the vast majority of my TZ700 listening is some form of electronic music and it's perfectly tuned for it. Even when I've leaned towards indie/rock, its of the more psychedelic variety with use of synths etc. I don't know why I tend to avoid rock etc for the most part with IEMs, I've a vast collection of vinyl and CDs and just listen through my music systems... IEMs are for submerging myself in electronic delights.

Sexy time :L3000:

These are up on Amazon so I'll check them out at low risk.

Speaking of non electronic music, I'm listening right now to 'A Storm in Heaven' from 1993 by Verve - later to become 'The Verve' and a lot more well known. I love this, and 'A Northern Soul' from 1995.

I like The Verve. I was first introduced to them in 2004 when listening to my Radiohead station that I made on Pandora and they came up as a suggestion.

The Stones Roses were another band I found around that time that I ended up liking a lot as well:

This thread is different I feel than some others as far as being accepting of different music tastes go, it’s why I like visiting this thread. When I posted my “test tracks” to show why I wasn’t a fan of the Legend Evo in the EE thread, I got told my music choice was the reason why I was hearing what I was hearing. What a fun time that was 🤭

Yeah, I remember when you posted your test songs (I think Seven Lions - Island) when the EVO came out and there was quite the debate going on in there. Any genre and recording quality is fair game for me when judging gear, as I want to see where it may fall short for my preferences. For some genres, I do find it difficult to gauge certain areas. For example, imaging I find difficult to assess with many electronic tracks as I find them too complex and busy at times, and so instead I'll just listen to what I consider more simple music like alternative rock.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #30,000 of 88,910
Name a popular artist or band you just can't seem to appreciate.

My answer: Prince.

I understand people not connecting with Prince as his persona could be pretty "out there"...but man as a bandleader he was probably second only to James Brown. Prince even had Maceo Parker in his backup band for a while I think. There's a hard to find 4 CD live album called One Night Alone that showcases Prince at his best imho.

My answer to the question would be AC/DC...they've always left me cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back