The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 23, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #30,001 of 88,463
I think I’ve caught up with the bullet train that is the Cooler thread (at least it’s slowed down from the hyperloop it was earlier this year!)

Name a popular artist or band you just can't seem to appreciate.

Gotta admit there are quite a few. Off the top of my head - Rolling Stones, and Michael Jackson. On the female front, probably Madonna and Beyoncé.

1) One of you're all time fave classic tracks
2) Something new or new to you that you're feeling right now
3) Something somewhat obscure or left-field that you'd like to share.

A bit belated in answering but better late than never!

1. Anna Nalick - Wreck the Day. In particular the second version on the album (track 12).

2. Gnossiene No. 1 from the album Fragments by Erik Satie. Relatively new album and very new to me. Really cool, unique songs and this one stands out for me.

3. Adiemus - Un Bolero Azul. One of my favorite new age groups. Haunting. This is bit of a slower song but with such a powerful build up and I feel an intense emotional connection to it.

On a totally separate matter, a question for any current or former R8 and C9 owners. Did anyone connect the R8 via its (variable) LO to the C9 in pre mode? I’ve connected via PO but wondering if LO is cleaner / different / better in any way?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #30,002 of 88,463
I understand people not connecting with Prince as his persona could be pretty "out there"...but man as a bandleader he was probably second only to James Brown. Prince even had Maceo Parker in his backup band for a while I think. There's a hard to find 4 CD live album called One Night Alone that showcases Prince at his best imho.

My answer to the question would be AC/DC...they've always left me cold.

I've no doubt Prince is a musical genius - everyone seems to say so. I've just never been able to "get" what the fuss is about for some reason.

AC/DC is a great example of this. Nobody does AC/DC like AC/DC, but not everyone's into that. The same's been said of Aerosmith.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #30,004 of 88,463
Jul 23, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #30,006 of 88,463
After some thought, I decided to make a pivot to my audio goals and ordered something:

Screenshot_20220723-002958_Instagram.jpg

Stoked 😍

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #30,007 of 88,463
I understand people not connecting with Prince as his persona could be pretty "out there"...but man as a bandleader he was probably second only to James Brown. Prince even had Maceo Parker in his backup band for a while I think. There's a hard to find 4 CD live album called One Night Alone that showcases Prince at his best imho.

My answer to the question would be AC/DC...they've always left me cold.

It's not just the music. It's the era. During the 70s, I had lots of musical influences. Probably the most eclectic of times for music. I was in high school in the late 70s. So, this was the music I grew up with. The 80s was music for when I became an adult. I was in college. I started my career.

The cool kids, meaning the athletes, cheerleaders and such, they were the rock 'n roll crowd. You had to listen to KMET in California.

"A little bit of heaven 94.7 KMET. Tweedledee" Dr Dimento. Saturday Night Live. Welcome Back Kotter. You wanted to hang out with this crowd, you needed to know AC/DC. Dirty Deeds, done dirt cheap. Punk Rock. Wild Cherry. Play that funky music white boy.

On the bus to school on the radio. Casey Kasem America's top 40. Pop music. Billy Joel Elton John. Abba. Fleetwood Mac. Disco. Jackson 5. Eagles. Commodores. Bee Gees.

At home my parents had their music. Country Music. Glen Campbell. Willie Nelson. The Carpenters. John Denver.

Learning Jazz music. Spyro Gyra, Chick Corea. Manhattan Transfer. Maynard Ferguson. Miles Davis.

Classical Music. Band. Shostakovich. John Williams.

So the music is as much a reflection of the culture and era it was played. I was exposed to a lot of music growing up. So, the music I listen to now is very diverse because of it. This is when I learned that I could learn to love any kind of music. You just need to hear it enough and associate it with whatever you are going through at the time.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #30,009 of 88,463
May I pose another question for the Watercooler?

Name a popular artist or band you just can't seem to appreciate.

My answer: Prince.

BTS. This is a problem for me because my wife is a rabid BTS fan.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #30,013 of 88,463
After some thought, I decided to make a pivot to my audio goals and ordered something:

Screenshot_20220723-002958_Instagram.jpg

Stoked 😍
Curious to see this one… I’m trying to buy an Inferno for my ZMF Atrium, but it’s a hard one to find.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #30,014 of 88,463
I think someone was asking here about buying the LL Venom cable: It is now in stock at Musicteck. They also have two of their other cables, including the Martini, which is the stock cable for Elysian Annihilator.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/liquid-links

1968E351-E852-4A29-8C58-CA09EE070D41.png

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #30,015 of 88,463
I think someone was asking here about buying the LL Venom cable: It is now in stock at Musicteck. They also have two of their other cables, including the Martini, which is the stock cable for Elysian Annihilator.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/liquid-links

Was looking for one and bought on Monday in Japan
It arrived actually Wednesday morning and need to pick it up
I have one on my Elysian X but want to try it on several other pairs
Mine is a 2 pin pentacon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back