The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 20, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #27,421 of 90,085
As a footnote, attending the live Pride show was so much fun for this old straight dude. The last time I went to show with a similar crowd was for the Village People - yup dating myself again. I remember at that show I ordered at the bar wearing a flowery Hawaiian shirt and was holding the virgin Pina colada my girlfriend-soon-to-wife made me order. So I was apparently I turned somebody'sq head - and then I got hit on by The Construction Worker! Something my wife teases me about to no end. Thought this bit of levity was needed given the tone of the prior post.

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #27,422 of 90,085
I apologize in advance for the size of this post and the tertiary role of headphones. I thought it may contain some lessons that may be of use to the good folks here.
“Always cherish the time you have with your sisters” I told my son as my sister was taking her dying breaths at the intensive care unit. “You never know how much time you have with them.” And then minutes later, the doctors told me her time was nearing its end. My sister’s eyes had almost a stone-like quality in their immobility and lifelessness. Her body was held together by a ventilator and IV antibiotic, vasopressor and fluid drips, her spirit having long escaped. Then the breaths became agonal and forced the moment the tube came out of her throat, eventually becoming fitful and eventually ceasing. The sister I had known and loved for years would would no be longer alive, but then again there would no longer be suffering from the malady of multiple sclerosis and how it riddled her body. There were tendon-shortening contactures from lack of stimulation. Osteoporotic fractures to her spine and legs from years of steroid use from years earlier. Decubitus ulcers and infections from her immobility, the latter occurring with such regularity that it led to a cancer of her bladder. In her last moments, I was able to see her face lighten with a calm sense of peace as she passed away.

The sister in the ICU will not be the one that I remember. I prefer to think of her as the adventurous artist and music lover. My first memories of her were of her showing me how to put the needle of the tone arm on the record for the LP of “Snoopy vs the Red Baron” that I got for my birthday. One day, she got sick and had to come home with an eye patch when she lost vision in her eye temporarily - the telltale optic neuritis that foretells a future diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. When my parents were out, I remember her blasting The Who and Pink Floyd on the hi-fi system. Music as therapy. When life gets unbearable, you can always tune in to whatever makes you happy. It was awesome having a sister who was eleven years older because she had all the knowledge of what was great to listen to in the seventies, arguably the most fertile decade in popular music history. She had eclectic taste from what I remember - joining the hard-rock posters on her bedroom was a cheesy smiling Barry Manilow, the antithesis of cool. But she didn’t care. Never let anyone tell you what you have to like, she told me, just find what you like and be happy.

That happy-go-lucky attitude was a godsend to her as she struggled with her illness over the years. She would host parties for her friends when my parents were out of town. She gutted her way through a few semesters of college. Always managed to hold a job, even as the disease robbed her legs of the ability to move. She had to give up on her dream of being an artist as she could no longer make the requisite fine motor movements. Her body wouldn’t allow for what her mind wanted to do, but it did not disrupt her energy. She was a jovial spirit and wouldn’t let her illness define her. Even she stubbornly tried to keep going out to bars to hang out with her friends every week, clinging to normalcy. Sometimes her body gave way when she came home and could no longer make it up the stairs, and she would call me to pick her up off the ground and get her back to bed as not to disturb my sleeping parents. It was those times that I felt best in retrospect. Me being able to pick her up when she needed me, because of all the times she inspired me to never complain about whatever life throws at you. You have others to pick you up.

So then I decided to use music as therapy. I bought a Red Halo, if for no other reason to have something to look forward to during a dark period. The first album I listened to my Versions of Me, by the Brazilian dance pop star Anitta. It was buoyant, full of life. Probably the most perfect pop album I’ve listened to since 1989 by Taylor Swift. And it arrived at just the right time. I would pop it on most every day during elliptical workouts or hikes in the woods. Last week I was in LA to see my son, and as fortune would have it - Anitta performed at the LA Pride festival. Here was my vantage point:

I was able to attend my first show since the pandemic, and was treated to one of the best shows of my life. I have seen Prince in person. I have seen Beyoncé in person. She is every bit the entertainer as those legends. Her energy was incredible, and the show was therapeutic in that I was able to feel a bit of weight leave my shoulders.

So value the time you have with your siblings. And keep your mind open for musical journeys because they may lead you to a more peaceful place.
Thank you for sharing, and also to those who share memories for their fathers and family members. My dad is towards the end of his journey and my only wish is for him to leave peacefully. I remember seeing this online quote which is imprinted in my heart: what is grief if not love perservering.
Music has always been therapeutic to me, but it was what I needed to survive through chemo, radiotherapy and surgery. I’m grateful for what I have and wishing all of you best of health and happiness 🥰

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #27,423 of 90,085
I was looking for a way to get FLAC files onto the apple watch, or even 320 kbps. It seems that apps like Spotify and Tidal are limited to 96 kbps on the watch, which doesn't sound that great. Any insights?
I don't know a way to get FLAC files on the Apple Watch and even if you can copy them you would need a player to read FLAC files on the watch.
I use Apple Music and it automatically copies the playlists that you have selected, music quality is AAC 256kpbs which for me is really OK to listen with AirPods Pro in a not so quiet environment while working out.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #27,424 of 90,085
I was looking for a way to get FLAC files onto the apple watch, or even 320 kbps. It seems that apps like Spotify and Tidal are limited to 96 kbps on the watch, which doesn't sound that great. Any insights?
You're going to be limited by bluetooth anyway...

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #27,425 of 90,085
Yep, Apple's entire wireless audio ecosystem is currently bottlenecked by paltry AAC Bluetooth. It's one reason I switched to Android. Rumours of a lossless wireless protocol from Apple coming later this year. Let's wait and see.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #27,426 of 90,085
Jun 20, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #27,427 of 90,085
So this happened today. Time to burn-in and see evolution!

Thanks @German Expat in Vietnam for the great price on the Isabellae!

IMG_1381.jpg
IMG_1384.jpg

OOTB, am loving both! The mids on the Isa is heavenly!

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #27,428 of 90,085
Good morning, after several weeks hardly listening with IEMs and a long break from the XE6 it was time. Between entertaining this weekend, several long weeks of; contractors, collaboration on design meetings, and other teams meetings, I found myself constantly needing to communicate.

With P6P on Francis Cabrel playing the XE6 in and green tea in hand, wow. No brain burn needed just groove immediately. The bass and the vibration is so warm and embracing, why did not anyone else think of this before.
FiR has such a winner here.

Just what I needed to start the week.

50523C4C-003A-4553-890F-5BDAF00BC929.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #27,429 of 90,085

I dunno if AAC sounds that much worse than SBC or AptX but TWS are sounding better and better these days (to me atleast) I've got the B&O Beoplay EX and they are pretty darn good. Noble Fokus Pro takes the cake if all you care about SQ, so I'm told.

Yep, Apple's entire wireless audio ecosystem is currently bottlenecked by paltry AAC Bluetooth. It's one reason I switched to Android. Rumours of a lossless wireless protocol from Apple coming later this year. Let's wait and see.
Very curious to see this as well, especially with BT 5.3 coming. I'm still a big fan of cutting the wire where possible.

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #27,430 of 90,085

IMG_1381.jpg IMG_1384.jpg

Isabellae is likely the first IEM that I've sold but will buy again - it really is quite unique and I do miss it!

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #27,431 of 90,085
Isabellae is likely the first IEM that I've sold but will buy again - it really is quite unique and I do miss it!
My favorite IEM, I love the Isabellae (and I am waiting for the Szalayi)

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #27,432 of 90,085
I apologize in advance for the size of this post and the tertiary role of headphones. I thought it may contain some lessons that may be of use to the good folks here.
“Always cherish the time you have with your sisters” I told my son as my sister was taking her dying breaths at the intensive care unit. “You never know how much time you have with them.” And then minutes later, the doctors told me her time was nearing its end. My sister’s eyes had almost a stone-like quality in their immobility and lifelessness. Her body was held together by a ventilator and IV antibiotic, vasopressor and fluid drips, her spirit having long escaped. Then the breaths became agonal and forced the moment the tube came out of her throat, eventually becoming fitful and eventually ceasing. The sister I had known and loved for years would would no be longer alive, but then again there would no longer be suffering from the malady of multiple sclerosis and how it riddled her body. There were tendon-shortening contactures from lack of stimulation. Osteoporotic fractures to her spine and legs from years of steroid use from years earlier. Decubitus ulcers and infections from her immobility, the latter occurring with such regularity that it led to a cancer of her bladder. In her last moments, I was able to see her face lighten with a calm sense of peace as she passed away.

The sister in the ICU will not be the one that I remember. I prefer to think of her as the adventurous artist and music lover. My first memories of her were of her showing me how to put the needle of the tone arm on the record for the LP of “Snoopy vs the Red Baron” that I got for my birthday. One day, she got sick and had to come home with an eye patch when she lost vision in her eye temporarily - the telltale optic neuritis that foretells a future diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. When my parents were out, I remember her blasting The Who and Pink Floyd on the hi-fi system. Music as therapy. When life gets unbearable, you can always tune in to whatever makes you happy. It was awesome having a sister who was eleven years older because she had all the knowledge of what was great to listen to in the seventies, arguably the most fertile decade in popular music history. She had eclectic taste from what I remember - joining the hard-rock posters on her bedroom was a cheesy smiling Barry Manilow, the antithesis of cool. But she didn’t care. Never let anyone tell you what you have to like, she told me, just find what you like and be happy.

That happy-go-lucky attitude was a godsend to her as she struggled with her illness over the years. She would host parties for her friends when my parents were out of town. She gutted her way through a few semesters of college. Always managed to hold a job, even as the disease robbed her legs of the ability to move. She had to give up on her dream of being an artist as she could no longer make the requisite fine motor movements. Her body wouldn’t allow for what her mind wanted to do, but it did not disrupt her energy. She was a jovial spirit and wouldn’t let her illness define her. Even she stubbornly tried to keep going out to bars to hang out with her friends every week, clinging to normalcy. Sometimes her body gave way when she came home and could no longer make it up the stairs, and she would call me to pick her up off the ground and get her back to bed as not to disturb my sleeping parents. It was those times that I felt best in retrospect. Me being able to pick her up when she needed me, because of all the times she inspired me to never complain about whatever life throws at you. You have others to pick you up.

So then I decided to use music as therapy. I bought a Red Halo, if for no other reason to have something to look forward to during a dark period. The first album I listened to my Versions of Me, by the Brazilian dance pop star Anitta. It was buoyant, full of life. Probably the most perfect pop album I’ve listened to since 1989 by Taylor Swift. And it arrived at just the right time. I would pop it on most every day during elliptical workouts or hikes in the woods. Last week I was in LA to see my son, and as fortune would have it - Anitta performed at the LA Pride festival. Here was my vantage point:
A9E6D052-EA5F-4E96-BB77-4074750CB700.jpeg

I was able to attend my first show since the pandemic, and was treated to one of the best shows of my life. I have seen Prince in person. I have seen Beyoncé in person. She is every bit the entertainer as those legends. Her energy was incredible, and the show was therapeutic in that I was able to feel a bit of weight leave my shoulders.

So value the time you have with your siblings. And keep your mind open for musical journeys because they may lead you to a more peaceful place.
Wow, thank you for sharing this.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #27,433 of 90,085
My favorite IEM, I love the Isabellae (and I am waiting for the Szalayi)
If you like Isabellae, you should consider Meze Advar or Dita Perpetua as single DD upgrades to it.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #27,434 of 90,085
Did you piss him off? Why did he bury you in the ground?

Probably because I messed with his stereo one too many times.

What was the subject?

Social presence in online learning environments.

Be careful about which CFA cable you get. The one for my Andro 2020, which I think is the smoky litz, became brittle after a year or so. It's inflexible now and resists being bent in any different direction. I think the plastic casing hardened.

I love the the cable that comes with the OG Solaris, though. I believe it's the Super Litz cable (see here: https://campfireaudio.com/shop/solaris/)

Congrats on the RU6. It's a pretty awesome dongle, I preferred it over my Lotoo S1 by a significant margin.

I've no idea about the OI of the ZX507. It's weird, Sony provides all sorts of specifications but not that one. I've not heard that particular DAP but I should think it'd work well. My ZX2 is ideal with the Andro, at least for my tastes.

Here's me with my dad many moons ago. He passed away four years ago, sadly.

IMG_5073.jpeg

I now have less hair than he did, and - for shame - my career as a tractor driver never took off.

Great photo!

A9E6D052-EA5F-4E96-BB77-4074750CB700.jpeg

Thanks for sharing!

IMG_1381.jpg IMG_1384.jpg

Two of my 3 favorite single DDs. I wish Isabella isolated a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back