The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #27,181 of 89,889
Guys, I don't know what to do. I'm tempted to snap up a second hand Solaris 2020 on Canuck Audio Mart...but the user doesn't have any feedback. I'm also a fan of Supermoon but it would be harder to drive on my current hardware. Decisions decisions...:thinking::thinking:

have you checked? https://campfireaudio.market/

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #27,182 of 89,889
I don't think there is going to be a universal supermoon. I emailed campfire back to see about when I might be able to hear a demo and I asked specifically about the possibility of a universal. Heres what they said:

"We won't be doing a universal of this specific model and driver configuration. We do hope to do more with planar drivers in a universal in the future, though we don't have a timeline for this at the moment."

So I imagine the only universals that will be out there are the limited run they did for wherever you got yours, and the demo units.

Oof...I wonder why they aren't making a universal...seems a no-brainer to me. I feel incredibly fortunate to have snagged the unit I did.

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #27,183 of 89,889
My last old non Shanling DAP is gone. DX 220 with Amps 8 and 9. Took 2 hours from creating add, taking pics and receiving money from PayPal. Might buy a Hiby new gen 5 or a Basso DX 240. this will be beater/traveling DAP.
M7 is missing from your collection! :ksc75smile:

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #27,184 of 89,889
Oof...I wonder why they aren't making a universal...seems a no-brainer to me. I feel incredibly fortunate to have snagged the unit I did.
Well my interest just washed out. Moved from short to long list.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #27,185 of 89,889
I wonder if part of it is just that they maybe don't feel like they are able to to build the quality of universal shell that they would normally do for a higher end model like that. While your universal unit looks nice enough, from the pictures you showed, it really doesnt look like what I would expect from a universal (especially not high end) campfire IEM. They usually look much more "engineered" and often seem to use what seems like metal or ceramic or other seemingly higher quality materials. Maybe cramming a 14mm planar into a higher end campfire shell just isnt something they were able to work out to their standards.

One other thing too is that when I asked about when I might expect a demo (its been nearly 2 months) they said they were struggling with parts delays. So maybe logistically too, creating universals of this specific model is just not feasible. Who knows.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #27,186 of 89,889
from the pictures you showed, it really doesnt look like what I would expect from a universal (especially not high end) campfire IEM. They usually look much more "engineered" and often seem to use what seems like metal or ceramic or other seemingly higher quality materials. Maybe cramming a 14mm planar into a higher end campfire shell just isnt something they were able to work out to their standards.

It's mostly the color-- the grey has a certain utilitarian look to it. It feels sturdy and quality. If it was black I don't think it would look any less premium than one of their customs which I believe are made of the same material. I may go for a custom some day.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #27,187 of 89,889
Have you heard the Solaris 2020? If you're on the fence about Supermoon maybe wait until there's a universal.
I have heard the Solaris 2020 and really liked it. Gave me a similar emotional response as the Dorados and Supermoon. But this will be less than half the cost of Supermoon.
I have. They are still more pricey.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #27,188 of 89,889
It's mostly the color-- the grey has a certain utilitarian look to it. It feels sturdy and quality. If it was black I don't think it would look any less premium than one of their customs which I believe are made of the same material. I may go for a custom some day.
I didnt actually mean build quality, I was more talking about shell material. The plasticky material (whatever it actually is) seems more reserved specifically for customs or their entry level models. Higher end models of theirs always seemed to be more premium with either metal or ceramic. And also for a while all of their models were at least metal.

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #27,189 of 89,889
Just spotted a new cable from Liquid Links - the West Lake! It is an OCC silver cable with shielding. Regarding the price, it has not been formally announced yet, but I have learned that it will be below $500.

5CDB1018-F227-48C8-8A7F-605365E701ED.jpeg
7C16041D-1802-42CE-B13F-97C0218D814B.jpeg
7CDEED32-F33F-4B86-AEAE-7362E9BFAEAF.jpeg

The name “West Lake” and the packaging are inspired by the city that LL is located: Hangzhou. The West Lake is the iconic attraction of Hangzhou.

Sadly, due to shipping reasons, LL will not be able to showcase the cable in the Chicago Canjam, and I am not sure whether Andrew at Musicteck will carry it. But, if you are interested, emailing Andrew about it will highly increase his chance of carrying it! :)

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #27,190 of 89,889
Jun 15, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #27,191 of 89,889
Glad that I have my Dorado, Zen Pro and Ozar to tide me through until they do! That A8000 is calling out though!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #27,192 of 89,889
Jun 15, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #27,193 of 89,889
I have heard the Solaris 2020 and really liked it. Gave me a similar emotional response as the Dorados and Supermoon. But this will be less than half the cost of Supermoon.

I have. They are still more pricey.
Ooo! You got me interested in the Solaris now!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #27,194 of 89,889
For anybody who is interested, here is my take on the latest Fire-bird from Vision Ears :)

ve-phoenix-20.jpg

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #27,195 of 89,889
For anybody who is interested, here is my take on the latest Fire-bird from Vision Ears :)

ve-phoenix-20.jpg

Great review. I really enjoyed my time with the Phönix. I think of it often. Exceptional IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back