The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 16, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #27,211 of 89,885
M7 is missing from your collection! :ksc75smile:
and open box cost around 1000$ on musicteck , did you compare it to M8 or RS6 or N6ii Ti R01?

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #27,212 of 89,885
and open box cost around 1000$ on musicteck , did you compare it to M8 or RS6 or N6ii Ti R01?
Unfortunately not. Don’t have any of the options you mention. My only comparison is the M6Pro (AK) and it is definitely an upgrade. Not as warm but definitely better technically and more detailed. Form factor is also nice with much faster UI and great battery life!

Am loving my M7!

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #27,213 of 89,885
I personally don't have much earwax (confirmed by the audiologist), but even though I do clean my IEMs every day with alcohol and cleaning tool that comes with the IEM.
i should do that more often, too. thanks for reminding me that.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #27,214 of 89,885
The driver configuration written for the prototype, it says planar magnetic type. So 14mm planar probably
Hmm this shade of the faceplate colour looks quite similar 🤔 but I hope to have a planar IEM eventually in my collection. Am quite interested in Supermoon but I’d prefer a universal one… not in a rush anyway, too many toys and too many holes in my wallet 💸

Jun 16, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #27,215 of 89,885
I don't think there is going to be a universal supermoon. I emailed campfire back to see about when I might be able to hear a demo and I asked specifically about the possibility of a universal. Heres what they said:

"We won't be doing a universal of this specific model and driver configuration. We do hope to do more with planar drivers in a universal in the future, though we don't have a timeline for this at the moment."

So I imagine the only universals that will be out there are the limited run they did for wherever you got yours, and the demo units.
Well, that's a bummer. I imagine the limited universal units they did sell will hold their resale value quite well.
Indeed. They posted on insta overnight with more info. And looks like an $890 MSRP.

Certainly worth following this one along. Will be interesting to see how they've tuned it. Curious to see how they configure each of the driver types for the FR spectrum... BA highs, DD mids and planar(?) lows, maybe?

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #27,216 of 89,885
Unfortunately not. Don’t have any of the options you mention. My only comparison is the M6Pro (AK) and it is definitely an upgrade. Not as warm but definitely better technically and more detailed. Form factor is also nice with much faster UI and great battery life!

Am loving my M7!

I still have M6 Pro AKM, and really can't compete with RS6 or N6ii Ti R01.
M6 pro is my burner, not joking :D

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #27,217 of 89,885
I didnt actually mean build quality, I was more talking about shell material. The plasticky material (whatever it actually is) seems more reserved specifically for customs or their entry level models. Higher end models of theirs always seemed to be more premium with either metal or ceramic. And also for a while all of their models were at least metal.

True. I guess they don't have a universal design of this thing yet and what I have is essentially a universal version of the custom. I'm really not big on the color though and for that reason alone I might seek out a custom sooner than later. This does settle one thing for me though and it's that aesthetics don't matter as much to me as I might have guessed. While it would be nice if my SM was as beautiful as any of CFA's other high end universal models...ultimately I'm so addicted to the sound that it doesn't bother me all that much and I don't think about it all that often.

Indeed. They posted on insta overnight with more info. And looks like an $890 MSRP.

Nice I'll almost certainly be looking into one of these next month.

Hi AceBee,

Glad to see Spirits of Fire has become one of your regular listens and the kind of music you can enjoy & connect with.

I’m not much of a heavy/thrash metal type of guy, but I do like a little variety of flavors and some melody (but not overly done, haha) in the kinds of music I listen to.

I don’t know of other rock artists/bands that are as similar in consistency & forwardness of style and approach as Spirits of Fire, but I do listen to other rock/metal artists in rotation on Tidal when I'm at work, such as Soul Chaser, Gojira, Arch Enemy, Eliminator, Evil Invaders, Machine Heads, and some Megadeth.

Also, here’s a preview of some songs I plan to listen to with Supermoon (my ciems may be completed as early as one business week, starting from Friday, 6/17, yet it will depend on how many orders have to be fulfilled, as well as other related factors), which are mostly on the electronic/synth side and are geared more towards high energy, speed and mix of instruments (with some vocals, and also some rap and instruments in the mix of some songs), from below.

Northlane - Carbonized (Tidal)

Joyryde - I'm Gone (Tidal)

Zomboy - The Beast (PhaseOne Remix) (Tidal)

Phaseone - Crash & Burn (ft. Northlane) (Tidal)

Thook - Forest (Tidal)

Jacob Collier - Clarity (Tidal)

Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek (Tidal)

Hi Rockwell75,

*Update (6/16, 2:44am PST):
It's Thursday here at the time of making this post (6/16), and my ear impressions have arrived at a USPS facility in Portland, Oregon. If USPS can keep moving shipments at this rate, then there is a good possibility that my ear impressions could arrive in the morning or afternoon at Campfire Audio, on Thursday (6/16). Then, again, with delays in transit due to the pandemic, anything goes at this point.

Ear impressions shipped and in transit to Campfire Audio for Supermoon ciems (by USPS, Thursday, 6/16).

And, with the date of delivery of my ear impressions estimated to be Friday (or possibly earlier), I’ve read somewhere along the lines from someone’s post on headfi that it took as early as one week for his Supermoon ciems to be made with his ear impressions from start to finish. So, depending on the number of orders that have to be fulfilled, availability of resources and other various unforeseeable factors, I guess we’ll have to be a little patient along the way until the order is ready. =)

Also, I’m looking forward to see if Supermoon can bring a new quality of sound and feel that moves the senses more emotionally, in the hopes of shedding new light and pushing new boundaries on what’s to come next for planar driver iems. :wink:

Mosaic ceiling with domed glass embellished in foliage ornaments and other aesthetic ornaments (Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, in Exposition Park of South Los Angeles, California, from late 2015).

-Daniel.

Hi DanielListening,

I know what you mean with some things you’ve mentioned about certain places where people can give off some distasteful or condescending vibes. I tend to avoid going to the kinds of places that are on the cult-knit side, and usually stick to going to places that are more community-driven, as it’s all about the whole experience (from the hospitality & service to adequate food & drinks and environment) that matters most. Despite how people in society can be of their ways in their own parts of the world, going in the journey with an open mind (and heart, in the best way we can) brings a healthy perspective and a more relatable understanding of people from different upbringings and ways of life in and around food & drink establishments and other places.

With all cynicism aside though, it’s all part of the life’s journey for the enjoyment in experience of living and being of all things to all people (as much as possible), while following our heart and senses (as best as we can).

Turning to other matters, it’s been a fair while since I’ve been to Menotti’s coffee stop from their Venice (in California) location (as the drive towards the coast takes more time out of my schedule).

Short stack espresso (at Menotti's coffee stop, in Venice, California).

Self-serve area (at Menotti's coffee stop, in Venice, California).

And, for the first time, I ordered a 12 oz bag of coffee beans from Menotti’s (from Wednesday, 6/8).

Light-medium roast whole bean coffee (12 oz bag, ordered online from Menotti's coffee stop, from 6/8, and received on Monday, 6/13)

Inside 12 oz bag of whole coffee beans (6/13).

Light-medium roast whole coffee beans ground down with Ritual Coffee Roasters' coffee bean manual grinder (Monday, 6/13).

Coffee brewed (with a basic Mr. Coffee coffee maker, from Monday, 6/13).

I don’t know if you’ve had a subtly caramel and tart (with fruit notes) kind of coffee on the lighter & soft side from Menotti’s before, but after having made and tried about 12 cups’ portion of medium bodied & tart coffee for the past few days (mostly for work), I think it’s a decent balance between its mellow sweetness with a slight lingering taste of cacao & medium-dense feel of smoky caramel and its emphasis in tartness with some mild fruit notes.

For my tastes and preferences though, I regularly mix it with another bag of coffee beans on the more bold side (from another coffee roaster) to get a more balanced flavor profile and body for a slightly more dense & rich medium-dark roast type of feel & taste. =)

A hot cup of coffee (with light-medium roast coffee from Menotti's, from Monday, 6/13).

-Daniel.

(Photo of mosaic glass & ceiling taken with Samsung Galaxy S phone. Photos of Menotti's short stack espresso and self-serve area taken with Samsung Galaxy S phone. Photos of Menotti's whole bean coffee, ground coffee and brewed coffee taken with iPhone 13 Pro Max.)

Exciting!

I always look at Campfire but i didn't have one or demoed also.
Andromeda and Solaris in every variants has a lot of review/impressions and i followed also @audio123 impressions https://audio123reviews.com/?s=campfire
Andro Gold Ti was another iem very tempting to find used now, OFC
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/andromeda-gold-ti/
Gold Ti sounds as older Gold?

Solaris OG and SE always tempted me, but i read somewhere LE is even better and lastest Solaris Shrink Ray?
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/solaris-shrink-ray/

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/campfire-audio-atlas/

Any impressions suggestions from campfire fan boy? :)

Supermoon aside the Andromeda 2020 is probably their most easily likeable and generally recommendable IEM...maybe start there. I like the Dorado 2020 (and the Supermoon) more than the Andromeda personally...but the Dorado 2020 has a very distinct character and is not for everyone. I've heard the OG & SE Solaris. The SE has has some of the nicest bass & lower mids I've ever heard...but I have not heard either the Shrink Ray or the LE. I have limited experience with the 2020 but didn't enjoy it as much as my SE when I demoed it. @ceramicears has heard (I think perhaps owns) the Shrink Ray maybe he can chime in.

Edit:

Man I love me some Vince Guaraldi...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #27,218 of 89,885
I still have M6 Pro AKM, and really can't compete with RS6 or N6ii Ti R01.
M6 pro is my burner, not joking :D
M6 Pro 21 is my EDC too. Damn nice smaller DAP. Will probably buy Basso DX 240 and Amp 8 too. to flesh out my Mid Fi DAPS

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #27,221 of 89,885
I always look at Campfire but i didn't have one or demoed also.
Andromeda and Solaris in every variants has a lot of review/impressions and i followed also @audio123 impressions https://audio123reviews.com/?s=campfire
...[snipped]...
Solaris OG and SE always tempted me, but i read somewhere LE is even better and lastest Solaris Shrink Ray?
I'm no expert, and I've not heard all of the IEMs you mention, but I currently own the Andromeda 2020 and the original Solaris, and I've heard both the original Andromeda and the Solaris 2020 on loaner tours. Here's my hot take on them:

All of them are very sensitive and will hiss out of the wrong source. Source pairings are also important with the Andros, in particular, because the output impedance of your source can have a significant effect on the tuning: for the Andros, an output impedance below 1 ohm will make them bassier and warmer (too much so, for my taste, especially with the Andro 2020). Between 1 and 2 ohms is my sweet spot, which offers a more balanced sound that's closer to neutral. Above 2 and you get a touch too much brightness with the original Andromeda. For reference, I have the Sony ZX2 as my DAP because it's well known to synergize beautifully with the Andros and the Solarises (Solari?).

I agree completely with @Rockwell75 about the Andromeda 2020: it's pleasantly tuned and makes for an easy recommendation. It does nothing particularly wrong, and gets much right; it has a slightly downward sloping sound signature and tilts dark. It doesn't have much sub-bass strength or depth; the emphasis is on the mid-bass, and over time I've come to find the mid-bass to be a bit overdone (I've had my Andro 2020 for 2 years now). Its main qualities are excellent resolution, for the price, rich mids, a lovely smooth and fatigue free sound, and an overall, coherent tuning. The treble is nice and smooth but slightly rolled off. The staging is wonderfully open and spacious; it's very wide, decently deep, and imaging and layering and separation are all very good, and not just for the price. In sum, the Andro 2020 makes for a lovely, engaging experience.

The Andro Classic, or original, shares many of the same qualities of the 2020 version - there's not an enormous difference between them, they're both immediately recognizable as siblings - but is slightly less smooth and resolving. The more significant difference is in the treble: the original Andro has a more extended and slightly more emphasized treble response, which makes for a lovely sparkle. If you like acoustic instruments - say the guitar - the sparkle is wonderful. In fact, I'd recommend the original over the 2020 version if you prefer classical, jazz, and other kinds of acoustic music; the 2020, being very forgiving and mellow, with its darker sound, works better for less well recorded or mastered music such as alternative rock.

Both Andros have a shallow fit. They've very comfy.

The original Solaris doesn't have quite the coherence of the Andro 2020, because of a slight mid-range recession that effects vocals, but it has the lovely sparkle of the original Andro. It is closer to neutral than both Andros, and it upgrades the Andros' bass, thanks to its DD, such that the bass is not only tighter, punchier, faster, cleaner, and better articulated, it's also better balanced, with the sub-bass brought up a bit over the Andros', and with a better balance between the sub-bass and the mid-bass. Gone is the Andro 2020's mid-bass hump. The staging of the Solaris is truly holographic: its exceptional width matches that of the Andros but it also has better depth and height, and imaging, layering, and separation are all a step up, too. I'd say the Solaris is more resolving of fine details, but this isn't dramatic, and I might even be imaging it because the Solaris has better clarity. The Solaris is technically superior to the Andro but it also makes for an engaging, musical experience. I'd say it's less engaging than the Andro, though.

I've not heard the Solaris SE but from what I've read, others find its mids to be better - less recessed, more coherent, and a touch warmer. For what it's worth, you can bring up the vocal recession on the original Solaris somewhat - but not entirely - by using a copper cable.

I wasn't able to compare the Solaris 2020 directly with the original but I suspect the 2020 has a stronger bass presentation. I wasn't a fan of the 2020 version, though, as I found it bright, fatiguing, and strident because of its upper-mid/lower-treble emphasis. The Solaris 2020 was more comfortable, thanks to its smaller shell. The nozzle on my original Solaris is too wide and makes for discomfort after half an hour or so. I may sell my og Solaris for this reason.

I hope this helps!

I might seek out a custom sooner than later.

I realize it's been a while but would you be able to offer some broad-stroke, comparative impressions of the SM and the OG Solaris, please? If you do need go with the custom, I may know someone who'd be interested in your universal SM! :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #27,222 of 89,885
I'm no expert, and I've not heard all of the IEMs you mention, but I currently own the Andromeda 2020 and the original Solaris, and I've heard both the original Andromeda and the Solaris 2020 on loaner tours. Here's my hot take on them:

All of them are very sensitive and will hiss out of the wrong source. Source pairings are also important with the Andros, in particular, because the output impedance of your source can have a significant effect on the tuning: for the Andros, an output impedance below 1 ohm will make them bassier and warmer (too much so, for my taste, especially with the Andro 2020). Between 1 and 2 ohms is my sweet spot, which offers a more balanced sound that's closer to neutral. Above 2 and you get a touch too much brightness with the original Andromeda. For reference, I have the Sony ZX2 as my DAP because it's well known to synergize beautifully with the Andros and the Solarises (Solari?).

I agree completely with @Rockwell75 about the Andromeda 2020: it's pleasantly tuned and makes for an easy recommendation. It does nothing particularly wrong, and gets much right; it has a slightly downward sloping sound signature and tilts dark. It doesn't have much sub-bass strength or depth; the emphasis is on the mid-bass, and over time I've come to find the mid-bass to be a bit overdone (I've had my Andro 2020 for 2 years now). Its main qualities are excellent resolution, for the price, rich mids, a lovely smooth and fatigue free sound, and an overall, coherent tuning. The treble is nice and smooth but slightly rolled off. The staging is wonderfully open and spacious; it's very wide, decently deep, and imaging and layering and separation are all very good, and not just for the price. In sum, the Andro 2020 makes for a lovely, engaging experience.

The Andro Classic, or original, shares many of the same qualities of the 2020 version - there's not an enormous difference between them, they're both immediately recognizable as siblings - but is slightly less smooth and resolving. The more significant difference is in the treble: the original Andro has a more extended and slightly more emphasized treble response, which makes for a lovely sparkle. If you like acoustic instruments - say the guitar - the sparkle is wonderful. In fact, I'd recommend the original over the 2020 version if you prefer classical, jazz, and other kinds of acoustic music; the 2020, being very forgiving and mellow, with its darker sound, works better for less well recorded or mastered music such as alternative rock.

Both Andros have a shallow fit. They've very comfy.

The original Solaris doesn't have quite the coherence of the Andro 2020, because of a slight mid-range recession that effects vocals, but it has the lovely sparkle of the original Andro. It is closer to neutral than both Andros, and it replaces the Andros' bass, thanks to its DD, and the bass is not only tighter, punchier, faster, cleaner, and better articulated, it's also better balanced, with the sub-bass brought up a bit over the Andros', and with a better balance between the sub-bass and the mid-bass. Gone is the Andro 2020's mid-bass hump. The staging of the Solaris is truly holographic: its exceptional width matches that of the Andros but it also has better depth and height, and imaging, layering, and separation are all a step up, too. I'd say the Solaris is more resolving of fine details, but this isn't dramatic, and I might even be imaging it because the Solaris has better clarity. The Solaris is technically superior to the Andro but it also makes for an engaging, musical experience. I'd say it's less engaging than the Andro, though.

I've not heard the Solaris SE but from what I've read, others find its mids to be better - less recessed, more coherent, and a touch warmer. For what it's worth, you can bring up the vocal recession on the original Solaris by using a copper cable.

I wasn't able to compare the Solaris 2020 directly with the original but I suspect the 2020 has a stronger bass presentation. I wasn't a fan of the 2020 version, though, as I found it bright, fatiguing, and strident because of its upper-mid/lower-treble emphasis.

I hope this helps!

Spectacular summary.

I realize it's been a while but would you be able to offer some broad-stroke, comparative impressions of the SM and the OG Solaris, please? If you do need go with the custom, I may know someone who'd be interested in your universal SM! :wink:

I can't comment specifically on the OG Solaris as I have not heard one since 2019. RE the Supermoon I stand by all my original impressions and my affection for it only grows-- it's still hard to post about it without simply gushing. Qualitatively it takes the coherence & timbre of a single DD, scales up the stage and dramatically improves the resolution. I would say ultimately it the insane resolution (and concomitant realism and insane stage depth) coupled with the coherence, layering, separation & timbre that are really doing it for me. With full size I hear people sing the praises of both planars and DDs. I'm starting to wonder if planars are more naturally suited to IEMs because their massive technical capabilities stand out comparatively more in smaller drivers. These represent a whole new dimension of experience for me-- time will tell but at the moment I've completely lost interest in any non-planar IEMs.

Edit: For the record my SM was spoken for almost immediately should I ever decide to sell it for a custom.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #27,223 of 89,885
True. I guess they don't have a universal design of this thing yet and what I have is essentially a universal version of the custom. I'm really not big on the color though and for that reason alone I might seek out a custom sooner than later. This does settle one thing for me though and it's that aesthetics don't matter as much to me as I might have guessed. While it would be nice if my SM was as beautiful as any of CFA's other high end universal models...ultimately I'm so addicted to the sound that it doesn't bother me all that much and I don't think about it all that often.

Nice I'll almost certainly be looking into one of these next month.

Exciting!

Supermoon aside the Andromeda 2020 is probably their most easily likeable and generally recommendable IEM...maybe start there. I like the Dorado 2020 (and the Supermoon) more than the Andromeda personally...but the Dorado 2020 has a very distinct character and is not for everyone. I've heard the OG & SE Solaris. The SE has has some of the nicest bass & lower mids I've ever heard...but I have not heard either the Shrink Ray or the LE. I have limited experience with the 2020 but didn't enjoy it as much as my SE when I demoed it. @ceramicears has heard (I think perhaps owns) the Shrink Ray maybe he can chime in.
I briefly had both the regular Solaris 2020 and Shrink Ray. I couldn't really note any difference between them but I only compared for an hour. If there was, it was sufficiently neglible that choosing one over the other comes down to the aesthetic and availability. As such, the Solaris 2020 is a top contender with an exquisite tuning and some of the best vocals I have ever heard in all of audio, especially female vocals.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #27,224 of 89,885
Spectacular summary.

I can't comment specifically on the OG Solaris as I have not heard one since 2019. RE the Supermoon I stand by all my original impressions and my affection for it only grows-- it's still hard to post about it without simply gushing. Qualitatively it takes the coherence & timbre of a single DD, scales up the stage and dramatically improves the resolution. I would say ultimately it the insane resolution (and concomitant realism and insane stage depth) coupled with the coherence, layering, separation & timbre that are really doing it for me. With full size I hear people sing the praises of both planars and DDs. I'm starting to wonder if planars are more naturally suited to IEMs because their massive technical capabilities stand out comparatively more in smaller drivers. These represent a whole new dimension of experience for me-- time will tell but at the moment I've completely lost interest in any non-planar IEMs.

Edit: For the record my SM was spoken for almost immediately should I ever decide to sell it for a custom.
Just goes to show that TOTL means TOTL tonality + technicalities. You can't have one without the other the further up the totem pole you go. And once you get there you never want to come back down again. 😅

I also think tonality is what we mostly debate most because it's so subjective to individual preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back