The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 28, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #2,701 of 87,834
Aug 28, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #2,702 of 87,834
A8A24138-C850-4A65-B8AA-65078A0580A7.jpeg

Had a very enjoyable mini-meet with @SBranson and @Daniel Lodewyk this afternoon.

Gear present: Oriolus Traillii & Reborn, Campfire Andromeda 2020, Dorado 2020 & Holocene, Softears RS10, GK10 Shanling M8, Cayin N3pro, and Sony Zx507.

Personal Highlights: Hearing Trailli again and reaffirming that it really is the best IEM out there right now, being blown away by Andro through the tube on n3pro and most importantly friends & fellowship in this great hobby.

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #2,706 of 87,834
It was so good to see you both (@SBranson @Rockwell75).
The pleasure was mine as well.

Good meet up with lots of interesting choices.. too many really because once the talking gets going…

The Traillii is mine and I had a baseline listen at home beforehand.
Started off with the RS10. Had to turn the volume way up, like double the volume for the Traillii. Great detail and very even voicing. Bass is well extended. But… I’m not sure if Softears and the M8 just are a bad match as the RS10 feels a bit strangled. It’s like having an iem on low gain that needs more. I was using Turbo and even checked because they just didn’t seem to come alive. Maybe it’s an impedance thing that I suspected with the RSV.

This was made apparent when I tried the Reborn. There we go.., clean and clear vocals. Quite a bit more intimate and back to a much lower volume setting. Very nice bass. The only niggles I had were the slightly less present midbass but really that might only have been noticeable because of what @Rockwell75 had said so I had some preconceived notion, but I did notice a bit more of that upper mids energy that after the very clean presentation of the Traillii, vocals and pianos seemed to have a bit of a harmonic hangover that tended to rob clarity. Maybe I'm just used to the Traillii scoop up top. Overall though, these were my favourite of those I tried today.

The Holocene was very capable, and was a dream in the vocal region. So realistic and lively and even seductive.. Below that though there was some smearing and lack of definition so backing instruments and bass (upper/mid bass) though good in quantity, just seemed slightly smeared because next to the clarity of the vocals.
This was fixed with the Andro2020 and the N3 Pro in the tube setting. I had previously found the Andro2020 a bit sharp sounding, maybe BA timbre after being used to the Elysium when I first heard it. But with the tubes, that etch was gone and this was a fantastic pairing with deep and well defined bass and just a really pleasant listen.

The GK10 was a miss for me. Even if a decent value, it's treble was rather "hot" to my ears and raising the volume to get everything else to sound good made me wince a few times. Not bad, but not an iem I would likely reach for if I had other options.

Gonna move to Vancouver Island.

Dang, I should have sent you the SE12.

Would love to have you hear the Traillii.. I'm a bit nervous to ship it though as if the ferry sank, that would be the end of my audio journey.. :)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #2,707 of 87,834

Good meet up with lots of interesting choices.. too many really because once the talking gets going…

Started off with the RS10. Had to turn the volume way up, like double the volume for the Traillii. Great detail and very even voicing. Bass is well extended. But… I’m not sure if Softears and the M8 just are a bad match as the RS10 feels a bit strangled. It’s like having an iem on low gain that needs more. I was using Turbo and even checked because they just didn’t seem to come alive. Maybe it’s an impedance thing that I suspected the RSV.

This was made apparent when I tried the Reborn. There we go.., clean and clear vocals. Quite a bit more intimate and back to a much lower volume setting. Very nice bass. The only niggles I had were the slightly less present midbass but really that might only have been noticeable because of what @Rockwell75 had said so I had some preconceived notion, but I did notice a bit more of that upper mids energy that after the very clean presentation of the Traillii, vocals and pianos seemed to have a bit of a harmonic hangover that tended to rob clarity. Maybe I'm just used to the Traillii scoop up top. Overall though, these were my favourite of those I tried today.

The Holocene was very capable, and was a dream in the vocal region. So realistic and lively and even seductive.. Below that though there was some smearing and lack of definition so backing instruments and bass (upper/mid bass) though good in quantity, just seemed slightly smeared because next to the clarity of the vocals.
This was fixed with the Andro2020 and the N3 Pro in the tube setting. I had previously found the Andro2020 a bit sharp sounding, maybe BA timbre after being used to the Elysium when I first heard it. But with the tubes, that etch was gone and this was a fantastic pairing with deep and well defined bass and just a really pleasant listen.

The GK10 was a miss for me. Even if a decent value, it's treble was rather "hot" to my ears and raising the volume to get everything else to sound good made me wince a few times. Not bad, but not an iem I would likely reach for if I had other options.

Would love to have you hear the Traillii.. I'm a bit nervous to ship it though as if the ferry sank, that would be the end of my audio journey.. :)
Great impressions as always, thanks for sharing.

I would love to hear the Traillii someday but no, I would never expect you to ship it out of your place.
I will probably have a heart attack by slow updating Canada Post App and BC ferry sinking etc. lol..

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #2,708 of 87,834

Started off with the RS10. Had to turn the volume way up, like double the volume for the Traillii. Great detail and very even voicing. Bass is well extended. But… I’m not sure if Softears and the M8 just are a bad match as the RS10 feels a bit strangled. It’s like having an iem on low gain that needs more. I was using Turbo and even checked because they just didn’t seem to come alive. Maybe it’s an impedance thing that I suspected with the RSV.

Rs10 is a power hungry, give a try with iFi Diablo, you will get its best sound

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,709 of 87,834
A8A24138-C850-4A65-B8AA-65078A0580A7.jpeg

Had a very enjoyable mini-meet with @SBranson and @Daniel Lodewyk this afternoon.

Gear present: Oriolus Traillii & Reborn, Campfire Andromeda 2020, Dorado 2020 & Holocene, Softears RS10, GK10 Shanling M8, Cayin N3pro, and Sony Zx507.

Personal Highlights: Hearing Trailli again and reaffirming that it really is the best IEM out there right now, being blown away by Andro through the tube on n3pro and most importantly friends & fellowship in this great hobby.
Lots of toys! :smiley: Man, sounds like loads of fun. Enjoy your weekend guys. And stay safe (from bears or moose or whatever you have there up north)

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #2,711 of 87,834
Is the plural of moose → meese? Because goose → geese right?

@tgx78 Wow, what the heck, is that a crow riding an eagle?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #2,712 of 87,834
Haha.

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

I don’t know if I am doing anyone a favour but Kanye’s new album entitle “Donda” just dropped on all streaming services.

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,713 of 87,834
Hey @Rockwell75, any chance you'd hearing the IE900? I'm looking to buy a small form factor IEM and I'm torn between it and Dorado.:thinking:

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #2,714 of 87,834
Is the plural of moose → meese? Because goose → geese right?

@tgx78 Wow, what the heck, is that a crow riding an eagle?
It’s moosen.

Just kidding 😛 The plural of moose is moose.

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #2,715 of 87,834
I’m not sure if Softears and the M8 just are a bad match as the RS10 feels a bit strangled. It’s like having an iem on low gain that needs more.
Yes it is a bad match. RS10 sounds more open and dynamic on my 9038S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back