The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,717 of 89,430
I don’t know if I am doing anyone a favour but Kanye’s new album entitle “Donda” just dropped on all streaming services.
Weird to release on a Sunday, and to zero ad fanfare on the streaming services.
I'd venture to guess it's because Sunday is the observed day of rest and since Kanye is God, it's his m'fing day.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #2,718 of 89,430
Some thoughts from yesterday:

- there is never enough time

- it’s so nice to see Jeff and Stuart and talk to people after being stuck in COVID lockdowns

- The Andromeda & Holocene are definitely related and share a lot in common

- the Oriolus Traillii is an amazing IEM and definitely the best headphone/IEM experience I have had

- the Andromeda with the Cayin N3Pro is sublime and I might have to consider purchasing it, however I hate the operating system

- I really prefer the Campfire Audio long nozzle on the Holocene than the nozzle on the Andromeda 2020. The long nozzle allows for a better and easier seal. The longer nozzle is more comfortable and superior in every way for me.

Holocene vrs Andromeda 2020

Holocene is excellent, especially for vocals. In someways the Holocene does vocal presentation better than Andromeda 2020. Clarity, realism, smoothness and more cohesive.

$1,099 for the Andromeda 2020, and $649 for the Holocene. The Holocene is 60% the cost of the Andromeda but more like 85% in terms of sound quality and detail retrieval.

Andromeda 2020 is superior in many ways the most obvious to me was extension in both directions. More and better extended bass. Higher extension of treble, more air, and more sparkle.

The soundscape on the Andromeda is wider and there is more separation. Where as the Holocene is a bit more intimate but also more natural as it is about as high as it is wide. More of a sphere and because of this the Holocene is more realistic and convincing.

The biggest thing I missed with the Holocene was the bass. The thing that made me want to keep listening to the Holocene was the vocal presentation.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #2,720 of 89,430
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #2,721 of 89,430
Another point of discussion from yesterday was that both @SBranson and myself love the Empire Ears Bravado MKII and are looking for a set but are unwilling to pay over a certain amount for it. Haha.

There was a general consensus of positive impressions and even love (at least on my part) for the Bravado MKII. We also bemoaned how it initially gained some negative reviews but really is an excellent IEM.

I also snuck a quick listen to the Dorado 2020 and oh how I love that darling IEM. 💔 With The Knife’s “Silent Shout” especially.

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,722 of 89,430
But… I’m not sure if Softears and the M8 just are a bad match as the RS10 feels a bit strangled. It’s like having an iem on low gain that needs more. I was using Turbo and even checked because they just didn’t seem to come alive. Maybe it’s an impedance thing that I suspected with the RSV.
I was "all-in" on RS10 as my next all BA style tech powerhouse, but now I am not so sure? @ranfan mentions this as well.
I was hoping for a decent Ti pairing, but one of the only chinks in the R01 chain is a lack of power on tap. I'll check the impedance ratings.
Anyone here by chance try RS10 on Cayin R01?

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #2,723 of 89,430
Another point of discussion from yesterday was that both @SBranson and myself love the Empire Ears Bravado MKII and are looking for a set but are unwilling to pay over a certain amount for it. Haha.
Well, look at my sig, we may have to make a deal?

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,724 of 89,430
I know it's very late to the party, but nevertheless, I auditioned the Dunu Zen and reviewed it here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zen-by-dunu.24863/review/26646/

20210701_073552-1.jpg

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #2,725 of 89,430
Reporting back on the Medusa II, it's a very nice combo with the Isabelle, soundstage, tone, timbre, it's the best “bargain” cable. With the Athena, Zeus, and my absolute favorite, the EA Thor/Leo 8-wire taking the top spot. Before any gets mad at me for recommending a unicorn, PW will make you one on request.

The Thor/Leo has the biggest stage I've heard on the Isabelle, which is my only complaint about this IEM. The tone, timbre, cohesion (an Isabelle trait, not cable) is some of the best I've heard, never mind on a sub-thousand dollar set. I've spent the afternoon listening to 60s and 70s folk rock, this may be the best IEM for this genre (yes, I'm old, substitute “Stoned at the Nail Salon, ”its just as good), “Hurdy Gurdy Man” had me going to my happy place.

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,726 of 89,430
Reporting back on the Medusa II, it's a very nice combo with the Isabelle, soundstage, tone, timbre, it's the best “bargain” cable. With the Athena, Zeus, and my absolute favorite, the EA Thor/Leo 8-wire taking the top spot. Before any gets mad at me for recommending a unicorn, PW will make you one on request.

The Thor/Leo has the biggest stage I've heard on the Isabelle, which is my only complaint about this IEM. The tone, timbre, cohesion (an Isabelle trait, not cable) is some of the best I've heard, never mind on a sub-thousand dollar set. I've spent the afternoon listening to 60s and 70s folk rock, this may be the best IEM for this gene (yes, I'm old, substitute “Stoned at the Nail Salon, ”its just as good), “Hurdy Gurdy Man” had me going to my happy place.

Brilliant, thank you... sounds like I might take the plunge with Medusa II - what's the cable build like? I love how soft the stock cable is.

Aug 29, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #2,727 of 89,430

The Thor/Leo has the biggest stage I've heard on the Isabelle, which is my only complaint about this IEM. The tone, timbre, cohesion (an Isabelle trait, not cable) is some of the best I've heard, never mind on a sub-thousand dollar set. I've spent the afternoon listening to 60s and 70s folk rock, this may be the best IEM for this genre (yes, I'm old, substitute “Stoned at the Nail Salon, ”its just as good), “Hurdy Gurdy Man” had me going to my happy place.
Wildcatsare1,
All this time I thought you were the guy in your avatar, but NO, you are just another old duffer like me. Or not? How old are you.

Be nice to have another old man on young Rock's thread.

Aug 29, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #2,728 of 89,430
I was "all-in" on RS10 as my next all BA style tech powerhouse, but now I am not so sure? @ranfan mentions this as well.
I was hoping for a decent Ti pairing, but one of the only chinks in the R01 chain is a lack of power on tap. I'll check the impedance ratings.
Anyone here by chance try RS10 on Cayin R01?
They're definitely not the most forward sounding as well, so they may pair well with more forward DAPs. I really like the accurate placement of instruments on them, as well as soundstage size/width. They're not my go-to for vocals, but more to listen to each track as a whole. More of a generalist type. Someone posted listening to them on the Hugo 2, and the report seems positive. Maybe other desktop amps too. Will need to try them with Cayin R01 and C9 sometime later at the store :)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,729 of 89,430
Haha.

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

I don’t know if I am doing anyone a favour but Kanye’s new album entitle “Donda” just dropped on all streaming services.

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
If you really like your Kanye, you can get that album along with this interesting-looking music toy:

https://www.stemplayer.com/

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #2,730 of 89,430
It
Wildcatsare1,
All this time I thought you were the guy in your avatar, but NO, you are just another old duffer like me. Or not? How old are you.

Be nice to have another old man on young Rock's thread
62 in age, and my body is pushing 125, my Avitar is Jack Nickelson in Easy Rider enjoying music with an herbal intoxicant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back