The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #21,841 of 90,104
Heading home from Las Vegas. Got to spend a nice couple days with my wife. We went to the lady Gaga concert and got to see cirque Du Soleil Ka. Uber rates have increased since 2 months ago. Surge pricing was at 2.7 times normal fare quite a bit

Lady Gaga was amazing. She has such a powerful and nuanced voice. In addition to singing a lot of Jazz standards, she did 4-5 jazz piano arrangements with big band accompaniment of her pop songs. I recall Poker Face, Born this Way, Bad Romance and Paparazzi. There were no recording restrictions. I suspect the entire thing can be seen in youtube. I will post some pics when i get home.

Its been a while since I have heard a big band with Jazz vocals. I had forgotten just how bright they play. But it did remind me of my days playing. Listening to so much modern pop and R&B has adjusted my preferences to more bass than is actually in the live performance. Makes me rethink the audeze LCD5 which would be perfect for playing back this live jazz music. What really was obvious is how great an entertainer lady gaga is. She got no less than 20 standing ovations in a 2 hour concert. She brought down the house by closing with New York New York. She brought the pop entertainment excellence and the jazz musicianship to deliver an unbelievable event. I would highly recommend a listen to youtube or any streaming event if it becomes available and if you love jazz
I didn‘t take her seriously until this performance on Howard Stern. Would be a dream to see her in concert and hear that voice in person.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #21,842 of 90,104
I didn‘t take her seriously until this performance on Howard Stern. Would be a dream to see her in concert and hear that voice in person.

If you haven’t already, check out her two jazz records with Tony Bennett. They’re absolutely superb.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #21,843 of 90,104
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #21,845 of 90,104
@Rockwell75 to @Damz87

43a8ae8d44f701af8b19defd8d5c99f9.gif

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #21,847 of 90,104
If you haven’t already, check out her two jazz records with Tony Bennett. They’re absolutely superb.

Thank you @Deezel177, I’ve been meaning to add those records to my collection and will tonight! :) Here’s a clip of Tony Bennett from one of my favorite MTV Unplugged episodes. He sings without a mic on this one. Incredible.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #21,849 of 90,104
Got a little care package from @tgx78 with some other foams from VE which are more porous and some rubber rings. The combination seems to make the fit better and maybe even increase the resolution and transparency. The soundstage seems vaster too.

84C2D492-1D5F-419C-BFF9-6033196DC1EC.jpeg

That might be because of the other “tweak” that arrived today. A Blue Circle Power Line Pillow that is supposed to clean up power line grunge. With the earbuds I get some hum and noise and be damned if everything just seems a bit quieter and the details are just really insane. I know.. maybe it’s just me who’s insane but whatever… :ksc75smile:
These Serratus are truly amazing.

A0F1816E-4DB4-48E2-A8B4-B3B506F84182.jpeg

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #21,850 of 90,104
Jimmy's interview on Howard Stern, about 5yrs ago, was one of the most fascinated stories I heard. And not just about his personal life, but going behind the scenes of the recording industry and music business. Today, I have no idea how record labels are still around and able to make money. Artist makes money from performances. But I'm not sure where the bulk of record label income comes from today. Streaming killed a golden goose for record labels.

Are you still involved in music industry?
I am in tech now but always stay close to music and have friends still in the industry. Most of the major label artist deals transitioned to 360 deals when I left but the labels also get a cut of the streaming revenue.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #21,851 of 90,104
Looks like we got it locked in! X and Annihilator inbound to Rock 😎

So stoked...thank-you!

@Rockwell75 do you think you'll write a review on them?

No immediate plans to. I usually only write big reviews when I'm on holidays. I'll share lots of impressions for sure along with comparisons.

Glad to hear she's still got it. It wasn't that long ago when she auditioned for me and a few others on our little piano at the office. I was fortunate enough to be on the team that signed her to Interscope and spent a few years with her working on The Fame album. Being along for the ride to see her go from a no-name singer-songwriter checking her Yahoo emails on my computer to the superstar she is today was quite thrilling :)

That is so cool!

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #21,852 of 90,104
Well to be fair Sony is a record company, as is Apple. I’m under the assumption that most of the Beats/Interscope staff transferred over to Apple.

Isn’t music an extremely hard field to get in , especially back of house stuff like record deals, sound engineering, etc?

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #21,853 of 90,104
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #21,854 of 90,104
Ever since launch of Kaiser Encore & Katana, I don't like all the subsequent Noble IEMs with the exception of Savant II which has a relative safe tuning. However, I must say their latest Kublai Khan is really good but not to the extent that it can compete with Jewel or Traillii.

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #21,855 of 90,104
I can almost hear @gLer screaming for joy when he wakes up later and sees the updated results.
Probably the same noises I made seeing the Odin go up 🤣
Ever since launch of Kaiser Encore & Katana, I don't like all the subsequent Noble IEMs with the exception of Savant II which has a relative safe tuning. However, I must say their latest Kublai Khan is really good but not to the extent that it can compete with Jewel or Traillii.
The Kaiser (Not Encore) is literally Noble's one hit wonder in terms of actually music reproduction gear. And since jewellery is what makes them money, there really isn't any reason for them to make anything exceptional.

OG Khan is hands down the worse purchase I made in this hobby and 200% those M2 faceplates were the reason I bought them.

The only thing exceptional about Noble is their price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back