The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #21,871 of 91,379
So, I do not know if somebody has already made a post regarding this, but being a single DD connoiseur myself, I feel I am obliged to do this:

It looks like 2022 is going to be a single DD year as multiple reputed companies are giving teasers of their upcoming single DD iems, and honestly I cannot be any more pleased that finally the single DD's are giving the same treatment that was given to the hybrids, tribrids, and all BA in the previous years. I am trying to compile of whatever has been revealed already, to make it easier for me and for others to get a glance on what all to look forward to (man, that's a lot of "to").

Shanling

So Shanling is coming out with their new premium single dynamic driver earphones, the first one to come is MG600.
1650247725987.png1650247763819.png1650247774391.png
Semi Open, Maple Wood Shell, Al/Mg Driver....looks exciting and exotic. Let's hope the price is not in the kilobuck territory.

Meze Audio

And then there is the Meze Audio Advar
1650248200127.png
TECH SPECS
  • Driver: 10.2mm Dynamic driver
  • Frequency Range: 10 Hz - 30 kHz
  • Impedance: 31 Ω
  • SPL: 111dB/mW
  • Distortion: <1% at 1kHz
  • Stock cables: MMCX silver-plated cable ending in gold plated 3.5mm
  • Upgrade cables (available separately):
    • MMCX silver plated cable ending in 2.5 mm balanced
    • MMCX silver plated cable ending in 4.4 mm balanced
  • Materials: Solid stainless-steel chassis produced by metal injection molding, with CNC finishing
  • Finish: High-gloss Black Chrome plating on main shell
At $699, it's not exactly cheap, but not unaffordable either.

Jomo Audio

Jomo Audio S100 Cappuccino
1650248426657.png

Specifications​

- Single 10MM Dynamic Driver
- Liquid Crystal Polymer Diaphragm
- Double Harmonic Acoustic Chamber
- 3D printed solid uni-body shell
- Frequency Range: 20Hz ~ 20KHz
- Impedance: 15 Ohms​

What's in the box

• Your custom in-ear monitors
  • Premium carry case
  • Soft mesh protection pouch
  • Silver Plate OFC Copper Stock Cable (3.5mm, 1.3M, L plug)
  • Balanced UP-OCC SPC upgrade cable, 4.4mm, 1.25M, straight plug (optional)
  • Carbon fiber print product ID card
  • Gold plated 1/4" adaptor
This one is priced at $299. Entry level, and quite interesting.

Noble Audio

Noble Audio DXII
1650248770398.png

The DXII features a 12mm single dynamic driver with a gold plated brass chassis. It has a “W” sound signature with thunderous bass, smooth mids and surprisingly detailed highs. The 3d printed shell with red carbon glass faceplate is a stunning combination. Noble’s 8 Core cable with a 3.5mm termination comes standard with the DXII.

Have to say, it is a looker. The price is currently at $599, discounted to $539. At this price it will trade blow with the Advar I presume. Interesting to see how Noble Audio tunes it.

And since we already know about the Sennheiser IE600, I found no point in including it here further. Let's see how the new contenders trade blows with each other. Penon is also supposed to release their own single DD iem. 2022 is for sure going to be an interesting year for single DD enthusiasts.

This is our upcoming single dynamic driver IEM :wink:

PENON NEW.jpg

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Apr 20, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #21,872 of 91,379
Ever since launch of Kaiser Encore & Katana, I don't like all the subsequent Noble IEMs with the exception of Savant II which has a relative safe tuning. However, I must say their latest Kublai Khan is really good but not to the extent that it can compete with Jewel or Traillii.
They presented 4 models at Singapore CJ:
Kubai Khan, Kadence, Jade and DXII
https://www.nobleaudio.com/universalfit
I didn't find impressions on Kadence and Jade

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #21,873 of 91,379
Another on my radar, and I would have likely already purchased except for there's a 2 week wait... getting a lot of hype.

Raptgo Hook-X

Planar + PiezoElectric Drivers Hybrid IEM

Screenshot_20220420-085031_Samsung Internet.jpg

The Hook-X is the first attempt at a hybrid in-ear monitor design utilizing the planar magnetic driver in combination with a piezoelectric (PZT) driver. These two driver types are among the most sensational driver technologies in the audio industry, and have never been utilized together in an IEM format. We took on this momentous concept, and through careful engineering and testing, have successfully created an IEM that encompasses the powerful characteristics of these drivers fashioned with tonal perfection. Unlike other IEM novelties that simply cram in hyped drivers, we our proud to achieve a product that is tuned to balance and allows the listener to both appreciate the acoustic superiority of these drivers as well as enjoy the music through their harmonious tonality.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #21,874 of 91,379
Another on my radar, and I would have likely already purchased except for there's a 2 week wait... getting a lot of hype.

Raptgo Hook-X

Planar + PiezoElectric Drivers Hybrid IEM

Screenshot_20220420-085031_Samsung Internet.jpg
Yep i read on BGGAR thread but Piezo tweeters always scare me even if this one wouldn't be harsh...
I'll save to have something better as Fitear Universal or maybe AIR2

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #21,875 of 91,379
Yep i read on BGGAR thread but Piezo tweeters always scare me even if this one wouldn't be harsh...
I'll save to have something better as Fitear Universal or maybe AIR2

Yeah I'm going to wait and read more impressions first, they are starting to appear in the Chi-Fi Facebook group.

Still a bit tempted on Tansio Mirai Sands, but concerned might be too bright...

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #21,876 of 91,379
Yeah I'm going to wait and read more impressions first, they are starting to appear in the Chi-Fi Facebook group.

Still a bit tempted on Tansio Mirai Sands, but concerned might be too bright...

Read your signature before pull the trigger Bro:pray:

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #21,877 of 91,379
Read your signature before pull the trigger Bro:pray:

Yep, you are right! On the subject of signatures, I can't actually see mine or others when on Head-Fi via my phone!

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #21,878 of 91,379
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #21,879 of 91,379
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #21,880 of 91,379
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #21,881 of 91,379
Only so many times folks can talk about how many First Times they have 😉

All quiet on the Sony front?
Not much happening Sony-wise. Once you have the best, everything else becomes academic. 😌
Yes it's easy to forget what a privileged position we are in but there is certainly appetite for discussions on more affordable gear.
If I'm going down to budget level, it's TWS or nothing for me. The XM4 makes technical compromises like any other budget IEM, but it's beautifully tuned, exceptionally well made, and the convenience + features makes it more appealing to use even when going wired and sitting still is an option. So for me, budget = TWS in the current market, since at $250 you're already at the top of the TWS tree.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #21,882 of 91,379
@Precogvision wrote a couple lines about them on his CanJam SG write-up: https://www.headphones.com/communit...-news/canjam-singapore-2022-day-1-impressions

I don’t know if anyone else has written about them as well.
I honestly forgot about this write up...and after revisiting this, my initial excitement about the DXII and Cappuccino has evaporated...Advar still has some interests from me, but I'll mostly be looking forward to audition the IE600, and will keep the Shanling MG600 and Penon Vortex in my radar.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #21,883 of 91,379
Not much happening Sony-wise. Once you have the best, everything else becomes academic. 😌

If I'm going down to budget level, it's TWS or nothing for me. The XM4 makes technical compromises like any other budget IEM, but it's beautifully tuned, exceptionally well made, and the convenience + features makes it more appealing to use even when going wired and sitting still is an option. So for me, budget = TWS in the current market, since at $250 you're already at the top of the TWS tree.
So you don’t use the blon’s anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back