The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 14, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #20,776 of 88,102
Very interesting design

Reminds me of the "Controlled Floorworks" series of paintings by a local artist I like:

1649936227122.png

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #20,777 of 88,102
I'd love to know how people keep track of it that accurately unless they are keeping notes on use time every day?
I ran mine 8 hours over night on my old m15 and then 6 hours during the day with my sp2000 for the first week. Then listened when I could with the N8ii or sp2000. But I have a burn in regiment for the first 7-10 days depending on if I still hear any noticeable change.

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #20,778 of 88,102
I ran mine 8 hours over night on my old m15 and then 6 hours during the day with my sp2000 for the first week. Then listened when I could with the N8ii or sp2000. But I have a burn in regiment for the first 7-10 days depending on if I still hear any noticeable change.
Yea I do something similar myself but after about 100 to 150 hours that's me done. Can't say I have ever kept track up to 600 hours and I'd wonder if my hearing was good enough to notice what I can only guess would be minor changes.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #20,779 of 88,102
I am looking for an IEM with a warm to dark signature as I am a both quite a bit treble sensitive and at the same time craving for something that gives me pleasure and enjoyment more so than neutrality.

I am tempted by CA Mammoth and maybe Honeydew, though the latter might be a bit too bass heavy judging from the impressions.

I am familiar with Final’s offerings: 500/2000/3000 but would prefer something with a detachable cable.

CA Mammoth is stretching my budget so something cheaper is preferable. Most of the time I am listening to my Audeze LCD-2C through the Chord Mojo 2.

I mostly listen to indie, rock, electronica.

What should I get? Chi-fi is also an option. I had the KZ ATE but that was too muddy.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #20,780 of 88,102
Moondrop Aria or for a bit more, Moondrop Kato

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #20,781 of 88,102
Moondrop Aria or for a bit more, Moondrop Kato

I haven't heard the Aria but I'm not sure the Kato qualifies as "warm to dark"...it was fairly on the neutral side to my ears. If I were @henrikgadegaard I would consider a $600 Dorado 2020.

In other news I had an interesting experience yesterday on our outdoor trip. I was driving a group of kids in the truck-- 2 Germans and 3 French. They had all just met and for the first part of the morning we had no music so conversation was a bit slow going and awkward. At one point one of the girls played a song on her old iphone-- not a bluetooth speaker or anything, just the small, somewhat tinny sounding iPhone speaker. It was "One More Time" by Daft Punk...a song everyone present knew and enjoyed when it came on it lifted everyone's spirits and much enjoyment was had. I remember thinking to myself that I enjoyed that song then...through that crappy iPhone...as much as I ever have through any nice system or IEMs. I remembered that Paul McCartney quote where he was asked what the nicest system he'd ever heard was and his answer was "whatever is playing at the time" and also that scene from the movie Fearless I shared the other day where it's pointed out that our mental state, more than anything, determines the perceived quality of whatever it is we're doing or perceiving.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #20,782 of 88,102
Today starts CCA CRA and nice CEMA $40 (marked down from $65) SPC cable break in. Claud dearly loves a nickel rocket.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #20,784 of 88,102
I am looking for an IEM with a warm to dark signature as I am a both quite a bit treble sensitive and at the same time craving for something that gives me pleasure and enjoyment more so than neutrality.

I am tempted by CA Mammoth and maybe Honeydew, though the latter might be a bit too bass heavy judging from the impressions.

I am familiar with Final’s offerings: 500/2000/3000 but would prefer something with a detachable cable.

CA Mammoth is stretching my budget so something cheaper is preferable. Most of the time I am listening to my Audeze LCD-2C through the Chord Mojo 2.

What should I get? Chi-fi is also an option. I had the KZ ATE but that was too muddy.
I like the Empire Ears Legend X for that purpose. Or, the Fiio Eclipse if you want a more cost effective alternative.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #20,785 of 88,102
Rock, The Dorado was my first thought, it being the most fun sounding, but also quality. Then I realized that price was important and $600 might be beyond reach.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #20,786 of 88,102
you know what, i might ask my dealer if it sounds amazing, then i will get it and try, if its not mindblowing, then sell it and choose between traillii or jewel + FT Cable... haha
I listened to the Storm today. Still gathering my thoughts, but I can safely say, based on first impressions and after speaking with the guys behind the IEM and cable, I am impressed. Maybe more later…

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #20,787 of 88,102
I like the Empire Ears Legend X for that purpose. Or, the Fiio Eclipse if you want a more cost effective alternative.
Yes, Fiio Eclipse for $150.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #20,789 of 88,102

Thieaudio Legacy 2 is one I'd recommend for the $100 price range. It has quite an enjoyable fun yet balanced tonality. Pretty good all-rounder in my opinion

Or the RSV (link) which suits electronics quite well with its bassy and warm-ish sound

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back