The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #20,731 of 88,122
Oh man....I catch up on this thread and I don't know what is more disillusioning....that folks here are claiming to have hit their budget for a while or that they have to avoid the wrath of the Mrs. :beyersmile: I believed in you....

The "explain to the Mrs." is a good bell-weather topic. I'm happy that my wife takes a "none of her business" approach to what I spend money on. She's always been practical there in that I make literally 10X what she does...pay for the house, her car, homecare for her Dad, 3-4 meals out a week...and she's like good deal I keep my nose out of your business. Like I buy mountains of crazy nonsense too....antique firearms, custom amps, dozens of bottles of whisky a month.....sh#t I had a full suit of medieval armor delivered when she was hosting the neighborhood book club and she told her friends "oh, that's just my husbands stuff" like Amazon brought some D- batteries. She is very practical.

My good buddy in our neighborhood is a Doctor; his wife doesn't even work and she scrutinizes the family expenses like a venture capitalist. She'll jump his stuff right in front of a group. I don't get it....honestly I don't have to get it, not my business and whatever makes folks happy great. I'm just happy my wife has the outlook she does....or perhaps truly she is my wife precisely for that reason. That's why I'm not married to my buddies wife, cause' she would have the grand tour of the front curb in like 15 minutes.

* - For the young generation reading this, please be aware the statement above is a commentary on personal work/income/family budgets. It is agnostic to/does not presume any gender role...or if the word 'gender' is now cancelled whatever word or words have now replaced that. I'm over 40 and do not know these things anymore.

My wife is pretty clued in and even with my methods to try cover up, she has a good idea of what I spend - even said after our trip to Cologne, which was mostly for me to buy the EXT - "whatever makes you happy". I personally feel a bit guilty though when I've more stuff arriving, and prefer it not to be too obvious as she really cannot understand how the heck I need so may audio related items... but there are worse addictions in life...

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #20,733 of 88,122
Fibae 7 Unlimited ordered. Any form of resistance is futile.

1649888748963.gif

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #20,734 of 88,122
even said after our trip to Cologne, which was mostly for me to buy the EXT - "whatever makes you happy".

See, the way I look at it the highlighted part of it is the relevant bit. You wanted to buy something so you treated your wife to a trip! When I bought my EXT, I just ordered it from Musictek and tossed the purple metal container at my wife on the couch. "Ouch....I bet whatever this is is expensive" she said. "You'd win that bet" said I. But you.....you took your wife to Cologne to buy the thing like a Rockefeller taking his wife on the White Star to buy macaroons in Paris. Many men's addictions have wives wondering how the next mortgage bill will be paid.....if your addiction means your wife is getting dinner in Cologne, she should be thanking you every day.

Unless it was your wife's money....then she has a point.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #20,735 of 88,122
Fibae 7 Unlimited ordered. Any kind of resistance is futile.

1649888748963.gif
Congrats my friend, did you chose CIEM or UIEM with “Swiss design” by you?

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #20,736 of 88,122
My biggest fear is that when I'm no longer here, my wife sells my audio gear for what I told her I paid for it 🤭
I can imagine it already:

punter at garage sale: I dunno. 400 bucks for this gold mp3 player seems a bit much...can you do 100?
gler's wife: How about 150?
punter: ok, 120 it is.
gler's wife: deal! What's your name?
punter: oh, they call me @aaf evo

Later that day, Mrs. Gler cheerfully tells @gLer over the phone "Can you believe it? We tripled our money! You're right, it was an investment after all. Someone called @aaf evo came back later and bought all of your stuff!"

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #20,737 of 88,122
I can imagine it already:

punter at garage sale: I dunno. 400 bucks for this gold mp3 player seems a bit much...can you do 100?
gler's wife: How about 150?
punter: ok, 120 it is.
gler's wife: deal! What's your name?
punter: oh, they call me @aaf evo

Mrs. Gler cheerfully tells @gLer over the phone "Can you believe it? We tripled our money! You're right, it was an investment after all. Someone called @aaf evo came back later and bought all of your stuff!"

1649889426700.gif

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #20,738 of 88,122
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #20,739 of 88,122
UIEM with the « Swiss design » as you rightly call it 🇨🇭
Can’t wait to read your impressions and a comparison with your favorite full BA, Gaudio and Oriveti right? ☺️

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #20,740 of 88,122
See, the way I look at it the highlighted part of it is the relevant bit. You wanted to buy something so you treated your wife to a trip! When I bought my EXT, I just ordered it from Musictek and tossed the purple metal container at my wife on the couch. "Ouch....I bet whatever this is is expensive" she said. "You'd win that bet" said I. But you.....you took your wife to Cologne to buy the thing like a Rockefeller taking his wife on the White Star to buy macaroons in Paris. Many men's addictions have wives wondering how the next mortgage bill will be paid.....if your addiction means your wife is getting dinner in Cologne, she should be thanking you every day.

Unless it was your wife's money....then she has a point.

How I wish it was my wife's money, that would be a completely different, and very interesting story!

Interestingly, the Cologne trip started out as me going to CanJam NY on my own* - I felt that was a bit selfish, and suggested a family trip to Cologne instead, as EXT was top of my list anyway... it did make for a nice family break, with a bonus of a wonderful afternoon in the VE HQ.

*I intend to go to CanJam London end of July, but that's just a quick hop across the pond to the UK...

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #20,741 of 88,122
Did you find Fibae7 OG too midcentric?
Ultimate should be more neutral reading their description…

We tuned FIBAE 7 Unlimited to be an even better IEM than its predecessor.
We listened to feedback from our customers and entrusted reviewers over the years and adjusted accordingly.
We added more sub-bass, slightly reduced mids to make it less vocal-forward, and greatly improved high frequency presence by adopting an advanced crossover with a dedicated, 3D-printed special waveguide. The effect is an ultimate frequency response, smooth natural tonality, spacious and expansive soundstage.

FIBAE 7 Unlimited portrays musicality combined with balance and an ultimate extension of frequencies.
FIBAE 7 Unlimited has been fully redesigned. The new updated crossover adds more headroom and improves the dynamics and transient response. With increased sensitivity, the updated F7 is easier to drive, achieving much higher loudness before distortion.
This will prove incredibly beneficial especially for professional musicians on stage.
Top-Of-The-Line modern sound signature, offering a balance between musicality and engagement.
A perfect IEM for both musicians and audiophiles.

BA174EAC-1FDB-4BD3-8A7C-E818F23CE9A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #20,742 of 88,122
Can’t wait to read your impressions and a comparison with your favorite full BA, Gaudio and Oriveti right? ☺️
I am also looking forward to reading yours. The Oriveti O400 and the Gaudio Clariden are highly enjoyable IEMs with their very own tuning. I expect the F7U to play in another league, though.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #20,743 of 88,122
Is the Senn IE900 the best sounding single DD IEM? Opinions? Just hooked up mine to Shanling M6 Pro 21. Its a nice little DAP, but no M9. Inspite of that, this puny little IEM is wiping the floor with my IEMs except my VE EXT and Phoenix . I used to think Dunu Zen Pro was the bees knees.
I prefer Isabellae to IE900 and have it ranked higher. The IE900 has better bass. But, the Isabellae has better tuning for my preferences and great instrumental timbre. The IE900 has veiled mids to my ear.
Single-DD's are too broad a category to say one is THE BEST...The ie900 may be the best V-shaped single-DD out there, but it won't touch the best midrange focused flagship single-DD's.

I'm with @blotmouse on this one-- IE900 may be the best if you're looking for a v-shaped IEM/are mostly concerned with bass & treble. The mids are way too recessed on the IE900 for me. If you're looking for a mid focus or more of a mid emphasis then, for me, FW10000 >> Zen Pro >> Isabellae >>> IE900 of what I've heard. Zen Pro is probably my favourite allrounder of the bunch-- it's bass is more consistently on point for a lot of what I listen to but when the FW10000 is at the top of its game I don't think there's any IEM out there that can match it.

It sounds like that JVC FW10k may be closer to what I expect a TOTL single-DD to sound like. Maybe @Rockwell75 can comment on what he hears as the defining differences between ZP and it?

Zen Pro has more bass and it's upper mids/lower treble can be more troublesome through the wrong source. FW10000 has a more pure mid range emphasis, peerless timbre and better treble than the Zen Pro.

I had a full suit of medieval armor delivered when she was hosting the neighborhood book club and she told her friends "oh, that's just my husbands stuff"

This whole post was gold but this is the single greatest thing I've read in a while, and yes, pics please!

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #20,744 of 88,122
Yes...but have you actually tried FT on EVO. I mean, you might really like it...
No, I haven't. I really like the cable I have on EVO. Not interested in changing it.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #20,745 of 88,122
My biggest fear is that when I'm no longer here, my wife sells my audio gear for what I told her I paid for it 🤭
Yeah. I read that joke somewhere. It is so true, though. My wife attends a lot of concerts, she keeps buying these cheap ear plugs. I want to get her custom ear plugs or even a CIEM. But, I am afraid for her to find out how much they actually cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back