The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #16,801 of 91,346
I'm probably an oddity talking in here being a one IEM / DAP guy but when I put something like this on and I need to stop working and just listen, this is when it's all worth it for me. Stuff like this is what red halo was born to play. It might not play everything to the best it can be with other IEMs but right now, I've got Ronnie and the band in my head playing just for me. Absolute musical magic. And FYI, the MCA Masterdisc is as good as it gets for Skynyrd.

20220324_020758.jpg
I did not think that Red Halo could pull off the metal genre… cool, you have a lovely luxurious set right there and understand the basis of the items you’ve listed for sale :)

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #16,802 of 91,346
I'm probably an oddity talking in here being a one IEM / DAP guy but when I put something like this on and I need to stop working and just listen, this is when it's all worth it for me. Stuff like this is what red halo was born to play. It might not play everything to the best it can be with other IEMs but right now, I've got Ronnie and the band in my head playing just for me. Absolute musical magic. And FYI, the MCA Masterdisc is as good as it gets for Skynyrd.

20220324_020758.jpg
Good to know about MCA. 👍

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #16,803 of 91,346
By the way, you are going to be right there after your next Mt Rockwell summit meeting. The only thing you are missing is Red Halo and EVO.

EVO's a remote possibility if someone ever comes out of the woodwork around here with one. I can't imagine ever hearing Red Halo unless I make it to a CanJam somewhere. @tgx78 is probably the most likely person in British Columbia to buy one and I think he's pretty happy with his Jewel.

Did you like the Jewel? Or, was it more like Odin and U12t for you?

I did like it...it was probably my highlight of the last time we all met. My demo was short and conditions were not ideal though. I found the highs a bit strong at times on my M8 (same as Zen Pro) but it sounded much better through the SR25ii (same as Zen Pro). Hearing Odin and Jewel through M9 and Traillii & EXT through n8ii are among my listening priorities for Sunday.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #16,804 of 91,346
Read so many glowing reviews of Rosalia’s new album. Bought it and so happy I did. Eclectic and innovative fusion of genres. Beautifully produced.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #16,805 of 91,346
Good to know about MCA. 👍
Yeah, the SACDs are meh, original MCA are better to my ears but the MCA ultimate master disc is on another level.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #16,806 of 91,346

20220324_020758.jpg

There should be a rule that people sharing pics of the n8ii should, where possible, position it with the volume knob visible because it's just so stunning.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #16,807 of 91,346
There should be a rule that people sharing pics of the n8ii should, where possible, position it with the volume knob visible because it's just so stunning.
that sounds a bit dirty. Position it with its knob visible?

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #16,808 of 91,346
So very little flex for you with EVO?
No with Evo I get a lot. I get it upon insertion and if I fiddle with the IEMs in my ears. I can’t replicate it on demand with Jewel but I have gotten it before.
Ja, love my EVOs but the driver flex slays me. I have to really work in insert and adjusting them to alleviate the flex, but can’t seem to remove it entirely. Horrible with Xelastics, Dots help a little.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #16,809 of 91,346
Ja, love my EVOs but the driver flex slays me. I have to really work in insert and adjusting them to alleviate the flex, but can’t seem to remove it entirely. Horrible with Xelastics, Dots help a little.
I find deeper insertion of EE IEMs can help mitigate driver flex. With my LXSE paired with Final Type E TWS, I can get a good fit that minimises the flex. Of course you mileage may vary due to ear shape etc.

*edited adding link

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #16,810 of 91,346
I find deeper insertion of EE IEMs can help mitigate driver flex. With my LXSE paired with Final Type E TWS tips, I can get a good fit that minimises the flex.
Thanks, I may try a size smaller, but they’re in there fairly deep.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #16,812 of 91,346
Well, I switched the Jewel to pair it with M9. This is also an amazing sound. The Jewel is like a chameleon. It went from a reference monitor to a musical one just by switching DAPs. And, it has great clarity with the M9. EXT lost clarity in the bass, but the Jewel is crystal clear and controlled in the bass.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #16,813 of 91,346
The price we pay for EE’s bass…
I like the driver flex. It feels like I am repositioning the drivers like cracking my knuckles.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #16,814 of 91,346
Here is something I don't recall anyone mentioning. There is significant driver flex in Jewel. I love it. It makes me like it more as it reminds me of Empire Ears.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I get flex every time on the right, rarely on the left....Jewel made me realize I have slightly different sized ears.

Regarding being a chameleon, I agree. This is the first IEM I've been able to hear significant difference in when changing cables and even digital filter settings on my DX300. I actually prefer the stock cable sonically (hate it ergonomically), the other cables I've tried (nothing fancy) have added warmth which I don't really like with the Jewel.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #16,815 of 91,346
I've heard from a few people (via PM and otherwise) who have said that they prefer the M9 sonically over the n8ii-- so I'm prepared for this possibility given how much I love Shanling's house sound which, incidentally, is closer to Sony's house sound than any other DAP maker I've tried. Still I'm open, but as you allude $$ is a factor, but not the decisive factor...I'm prepared to consider going in on an n8ii but it will have to be significantly better than the M9 across the board for me to be willing to take the necessary steps in order to procure it.
Can't wait for your impressions after Mt. Rockwell!

No "of sorts" about it...we are a community, and a very pleasant & supportive one at that.

There will be two Zen Pros-- @tgx78 has one too now. I went for a walk to the post office (to pick up my SR25ii as it turns out) and brought the Zen Pro & M9 along. It's a nice sunny day here and the Zen Pro/M9 with the following track was absolutely divine and the perfect accompaniment:

Great album. Thanks for the reminder!

FD6EF55E-F0EF-475D-9FD0-4E5921FF48ED.JPEG

Enjoying my AKSR25ii reunited with the Zen Pro:

2EC204AD-187F-40C4-8B67-7DD4C3B6E0C9.JPEG
Stunning images! You have a good eye!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back