The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #16,786 of 89,826
The slight harshness of the Monarch could be better, especially towards the end of the day.

MEST MKII was delayed a day so I don't have it yet to compare. I did get the EarfitLight and EarfitLight Short tips in. The ELS were incredibly hard to get onto the Monarchs but seem to be a bit easier on the ears than the Xelastec, although they don't appear to actually be any shorter. Haven't tried the EL yet.

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #16,787 of 89,826
There's an ever so slight mid range bump on the Jewel, maybe that? I'm sure I hear it on other tracks. I've been quite a fan of the Jewel mid range since the demo.
I am seeing that on the graph. I am definitely hearing that on the Jewel because it is missing on the Traillii. I can hear that difference in Opera music believe it or not. The traillii sounds thin there.

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #16,788 of 89,826
The slight harshness of the Monarch could be better, especially towards the end of the day.

MEST MKII was delayed a day so I don't have it yet to compare. I did get the EarfitLight and EarfitLight Short tips in. The ELS were incredibly hard to get onto the Monarchs but seem to be a bit easier on the ears than the Xelastec, although they don't appear to actually be any shorter. Haven't tried the EL yet.
The Xelastecs I could never wear for extended periods of time.

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #16,789 of 89,826
I am seeing that on the graph. I am definitely hearing that on the Jewel because it is missing on the Traillii. I can hear that difference in Opera music believe it or not. The traillii sounds thin there.

Glad you’re enjoying it. Seems like the second round for both of us was much better than the first. It’s what inspired my decision to give the Evo another go also.

Now the Jewel is probably tied with XE6 for my most used IEM. 🎶

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #16,790 of 89,826
The Xelastecs I could never wear for extended periods of time.

Something about the material is great for the first few minutes and then it starts to hurt. I cleaned them off with lukewarm water and it helped a little, but I don't see myself returning to them. The Monarchs are certainly better with the ELS but I'm eager to do a comparison and ideally settle on one.

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #16,791 of 89,826
Glad you’re enjoying it. Seems like the second round for both of us was much better than the first. It’s what inspired my decision to give the Evo another go also.

Now the Jewel is probably tied with XE6 for my most used IEM. 🎶
Here is something I don't recall anyone mentioning. There is significant driver flex in Jewel. I love it. It makes me like it more as it reminds me of Empire Ears.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #16,793 of 89,826
I have only experienced it a few times myself with the Jewel. With the Evo I get it every time and if I adjust them when they’re in my ears.
If you push on the monitor like you do when you are turning on and off noise cancellation on a Sony WF-1000-XM4, you get driver flex every time.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #16,794 of 89,826
Here is something I don't recall anyone mentioning. There is significant driver flex in Jewel. I love it. It makes me like it more as it reminds me of Empire Ears.
Jewel and EE's weapon IX uses similar diaphragm material. Driver flex crackling noise sounded identical in pitch.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #16,795 of 89,826
Jewel and EE's weapon IX uses similar diaphragm material. Driver flex crackling noise sounded identical in pitch.
Great technical response. For an artist, you sure are good at technical things. You are a true renaissance man.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #16,799 of 89,826
I'm probably an oddity talking in here being a one IEM / DAP guy but when I put something like this on and I need to stop working and just listen, this is when it's all worth it for me. Stuff like this is what red halo was born to play. It might not play everything to the best it can be with other IEMs but right now, I've got Ronnie and the band in my head playing just for me. Absolute musical magic. And FYI, the MCA Masterdisc is as good as it gets for Skynyrd.

20220324_020758.jpg

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #16,800 of 89,826
The rate at which @HiFiHawaii808, @aaf evo and @Damz87 experience new gear and their concomitant reactions, often digging deep into the realm of human emotional experience...it is nothing short of high drama. From the sidelines it's like enjoying a soap opera, or miniseries-- who will stay, who will go? Will @HiFiHawaii808's heart remain true to the EXT, or will the Jewel sweep in and steal him away on the wings of a passionate timbral affair? Only time will tell and the only way to find out will be to keep tuning in to "These Are the IEMs of our Lives" broadcast live from the Watercooler.
By the way, you are going to be right there after your next Mt Rockwell summit meeting. The only thing you are missing is Red Halo and EVO.

Did you like the Jewel? Or, was it more like Odin and U12t for you?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back