The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 23, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #16,726 of 89,851
One of Soken's best XIV expansion soundtrack to date. My favorite track and one I have one loop is "小さな一歩 ~嘆きの海~ / One Small Step" which is the BGM for Mare Lamentorum "Moon". On the N8ii, it sounds cosmically expansive and immerses you in the setting.

Actually one of my favourite tracks from the entire OST as well. I've had this on loop a few times myself. Thanks for sharing! It's giving me goose bumps man...

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #16,727 of 89,851
Close, a Canadian Watercooler-er living in Hong Kong stepped up and is currently trying to help me find the best option. I've also got the ever reliable Vance at Myheadfi taking a look. If it turns out both options find fruit I'll keep one cable for myself and reach out to you first and then @Auricon for the second as you've each expressed an interest.

Ah man, would be f'ing amazing if that worked out. :pray::beers:

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #16,728 of 89,851
Had an awesome little session reacquainting myself with the bird after focusing on the T+A gear for a few weeks.

Starter off with the brilliantly mastered album Let Me Sleep by Alyson McNamara. Great song from that record below.

And after a few twists and turns ended off with this banger, bringing back many a memory - the trance classic that I remember hearing first way back on ASOT circa episode 130. The build-up and release just after the 4-minute mark a hallmark of that epic era in the genre.

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #16,729 of 89,851
Just spent last 3 hours lx to KR5 with Lotoo 6000 excellent combination.Just like a DAP that plays music..Fair does to Mr Hawaii & claud for figuring out software

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #16,731 of 89,851
:) If you have a high end dap you don't need C9

What I am saying is if you connect a mid tier dap to C9 and it improves it greatly, when you disconnect you now "only" have a mid tier dap. That difference gets to me. Kind of like when you hear the difference it can't be unheard but of course YMMV 😛
Ah, gotcha, makes sense now. Chances are once you pair a DAP with the C9 the two will rarely be used apart.
Definitely, but I believe everyone has their preference of sound. Once you have found that preference, it should be hard to beat for a while until a replacement/direct upgrade comes by (which, imo, a direct upgrade in sound is quite rare in the audio world, at least in the TOTL realm). So trying new things out of interest won't hurt (because most of the time you know it is not going to be better for you), and if you really prefer it over what you currently have, then it is an upgrade. No reason not to go for the new one.
So true, at least in my case. I feel sorry for the guys the wallets of the guys that like so many different types of sound and music that they just buy everything. I know what I like and stick to it.
I forgot to mention. The fact that N8ii and M9 are complementary is very bad for your wallet because that means you might need to buy both of them. To my ear, the EXT pairs better with N8ii because clarity, coherence and balance are hallmarks of the EXT and those features are best rendered by N8ii. M9 pairs better with EVO since precision isn't what makes EVO great. It's elevated bombastic bass that does it and M9 gives it that in spades. And, M9 tones down upper mids so it gives it a better balance. You should hear EVO with M9, I think you might like it.
Not directed at you Hifi, but I've always considered buying multiple dedicated TOTL DAPs to pair with specific IEMs the height of audiophile insanity. Maybe just short of buying multiple TOTL cables to fine tune the sound of one IEM. But that's just me with my one DAP/one IEM/one preference mentality. I'm a rarity in this hobby, the exception to the rule. 😅
finally got to listen to the z1r with the zh1es....and sorry to say that it's the best pairing that I have with the Z1R.

Better than Hugo 2 and Dave in terms of musicality. The treble is a bit bright on the hugo 2 and dave, but perfect on the zh1es
This is the niggle that taps me on the shoulder every time I consider a C9 or non-Sony DAP for my Sony IEMs/headphone... 🙄
Nothing like that Sony -> Sony synergy. I see a DMP Z1 in your future.
😭

And on a final note, I think I just found my new favourite IEM tips, made by...you guessed it...

PSX_20220323_215046.jpg

Just replaced the Spiral Dots/AET07 on the Z1R/IE900 respectively.

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #16,732 of 89,851
Not directed at you Hifi, but I've always considered buying multiple dedicated TOTL DAPs to pair with specific IEMs the height of audiophile insanity. Maybe just short of buying multiple TOTL cables to fine tune the sound of one IEM. But that's just me with my one DAP/one IEM/one preference mentality. I'm a rarity in this hobby, the exception to the rule. 😅

It's not a problem. I've earned the title of insane. Just remember, this is the Cuckoo's nest and I am not the only one flying over it. At least I have not succumbed to the Orpheus call even though it seems everyone around me is.

Besides, I need to try out all of these combinations so that I know if I have the one and only set up for me. Right now, it's EXT + First Times + N8ii.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #16,733 of 89,851
It's not a problem. I've earned the title of insane. Just remember, this is the Cuckoo's nest and I am not the only one flying over it. At least I have not succumbed to the Orpheus even though it seems everyone around me is.
Haha, very true, and the entertainment value is just as insane. Don't stop! :smile:

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #16,734 of 89,851
Had an awesome little session reacquainting myself with the bird after focusing on the T+A gear for a few weeks.

Starter off with the brilliantly mastered album Let Me Sleep by Alyson McNamara. Great song from that record below.

And after a few twists and turns ended off with this banger, bringing back many a memory - the trance classic that I remember hearing first way back on ASOT circa episode 130. The build-up and release just after the 4-minute mark a hallmark of that epic era in the genre.

Damn. 5-:00 Love the way the way it slaps. For me classic Armin > 2022 Armin.

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #16,736 of 89,851
Close, a Canadian Watercooler-er living in Hong Kong stepped up and is currently trying to help me find the best option. I've also got the ever reliable Vance at Myheadfi taking a look. If it turns out both options find fruit I'll keep one cable for myself and reach out to you first and then @Auricon for the second as you've each expressed an interest.
That’ll be quite cool! I’ve been looking for that cable but it’s apparently all sold out in HK?

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #16,737 of 89,851
Tonight's late night work n stack combo. Not as cool as you cats with baller HPs. Need to EQ and bump up the bass shelf on the LCD-2 '21 - initial impression, enjoying the big soundstage, details and clarity.

IMG_4534.jpeg

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #16,739 of 89,851
Tonight's late night work n stack combo. Not as cool as you cats with baller HPs. Need to EQ and bump up the bass shelf on the LCD-2 '21 - initial impression, enjoying the big soundstage, details and clarity.

I love that iliad interconnect.

You got me motivated. Going to try it with HE1000v2

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #16,740 of 89,851

Users who are viewing this thread

Back