The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 23, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #16,741 of 90,123
2022 Armin.. sigh. Don't even check out most of his new stuff anymore. I saw him live right after he released his Intense album and it was an awesome show.

This track will never get old..

Classic. That show must have been wild. The Andrew Rayel mix of Intense is still in my gym rotation 8 years later:

Agree with his new stuff. I miss when he used to make stuff like this:

Euphoric vocals. Has a build up that pushes and pulls.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #16,742 of 90,123
Ja it’s quite the looker and little less precious than PWA FT interconnect, LOL.
I've been listening primarily to IEMs over the past 2 weeks. So, switching back to headphones is reminding me why I love headphones. N8ii + C9 in tubes mode is fantastic with Hifiman HE1000v2. Giant stage. Lots of detail. More natural sound. A/B testing with RS6 + C9. N8ii is more transparent and uncolored. RS6 is bass boosted, but not warmer through the mids. The greater detail and resolution of the N8ii gives it more analog sound. The Hifiman headphones can sound very digital. In this case the N8ii is less so. Hifiman headphones are hard to drive. I have the volume on the C9 set at 12 noon in high gain. Also have the N8ii in high gain line out. I would like to A/B test this set up with the DMP Z1. The only thing it is missing is world class slam, but that is a limitation of the HE1000v2, not the N8ii.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #16,743 of 90,123
200+ messages guys…

Summary of the day? 😅

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #16,744 of 90,123
Mar 23, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #16,745 of 90,123
Classic. That show must have been wild. The Andrew Rayel mix of Intense is still in my gym rotation 8 years later:

Agree with his new stuff. I miss when he used to make stuff like this:

Euphoric vocals. Has a build up that pushes and pulls.

Have you heard the Aroma Jewel yet? Stuff like this sounds incredible on it.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #16,746 of 90,123
Have you heard the Aroma Jewel yet? Stuff like this sounds incredible on it.
It's out for delivery. I hope the mailman knocks on the door instead of takes it back to the Post Office for pick up. They are lazy and don't even bother to knock anymore.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #16,748 of 90,123
I am into balance, so it is actually unlikely.. Right now, I am very happy with balance achieved in N8ii + FT + EXT. Adding an Orpheus would make the weight less ideal and the cable price out of line with the DAP and IEM. Can't have a cable that is more expensive than the DAP or the IEM.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #16,749 of 90,123
Nice! Hopefully (I think?) it leaves a better impression on you this time around.
Initial impressions are very unreliable. Need to at least have some brain burn in to get used to the sound of an IEM before judging it.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #16,750 of 90,123
And on a final note, I think I just found my new favourite IEM tips, made by...you guessed it...

PSX_20220323_215046.jpg
Just replaced the Spiral Dots/AET07 on the Z1R/IE900 respectively.
They’re really good, right? They become my go to tips as well

Not as cool as you cats with baller HPs.
Time to upgrade your stable of HPs then 😎

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #16,751 of 90,123
And on a final note, I think I just found my new favourite IEM tips, made by...you guessed it...

PSX_20220323_215046.jpg

Just replaced the Spiral Dots/AET07 on the Z1R/IE900 respectively.
China?

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #16,752 of 90,123
I am into balance, so it is actually unlikely.. Right now, I am very happy with balance achieved in N8ii + FT + EXT. Adding an Orpheus would make the weight less ideal and the cable price out of line with the DAP and IEM. Can't have a cable that is more expensive than the DAP or the IEM.

When you run out of other things to buy it will become an option.

Red Halo changes that ratio of cable vs IEM and DAP 😉

I agree with you though, it would be madness. But so is all of this....

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #16,753 of 90,123
When you run out of other things to buy it will become an option.

Red Halo changes that ratio of cable vs IEM and DAP 😉

I agree with you though, it would be madness. But so is all of this....
I hope not.

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #16,754 of 90,123
In a thread where we come to discourse about a plethora of things but what binds us is the love of music and passion for the audio “tools” that enhance that love (iems, HPs, cables - for the latter, it’s the oft love-hate relationship of price vs quality, etc), I think this passion itself is thrilling madness. I revel in that madness, but I enjoy it in an Alice in Wonderland way. How else to explain this confounding lack of lucidity to others who don’t understand how “earphones” can (or as they say “should”) cost more than $300? 🤓 So display away, all your audio gear, and to those who have plenty of a variety of many many things, I’m envious but living vicariously through your sharing! 🤩
Edit: Of course the above is predicated on the assumption that we’re all mature adults and won’t be mortgaging our houses, selling our body organs etc to feed our passion 🤪 I definitely won’t be the first person to say: live within your means, that is a truism for everything we purchase and consume.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #16,755 of 90,123
In a thread where we come to discourse about a plethora of things but what binds us is the love of music and passion for the audio “tools” that enhance that love (iems, HPs, cables - for the latter, it’s the oft love-hate relationship of price vs quality, etc), I think this passion itself is thrilling madness. I revel in that madness, but I enjoy it in an Alice in Wonderland way. How else to explain this confound lack of lucidity to others who don’t understand how “earphones” can (or as they say “should”) cost more than $300? 🤓 So display away, all your audio gear, and to those who have plenty of a variety of many many things, I’m envious but living vicariously through your sharing! 🤩
Nicely said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back