The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #16,696 of 91,346
That was one plan but VE got back to me and said they'd do it for free and included a DHL shipping label in the email so I thought I should take them up on it. Also, it will be like a month until the 4.4 connectors I ordered arrive.

Edit: I also have two broken 4.4 cables I will happily procure @tgx78's services to reterminate if he's willing.
Thats great service. Should I break my 2.5mm cable and ask for the same service?

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #16,697 of 91,346
Do you go rock climbing with your IEMs?

No-- but carrying the chonky M8 around in my pocket for too long added undue stress to the connectors at times. It's one of the reasons I bought a more portable SR25ii for out and about.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #16,698 of 91,346
Do you go rock climbing with your IEMs?
You know. You fix one part of your chain and another part of the chain takes its place.

First time I broke a 2.5mm pin was when I put my DAP on the counter at the airport, I needed to grab a credit card out of my brief case, the DAP came off the counter and was spared any damage, but the 2.5mm pin snapped off. Then, when I got that cable reterminated to 4.4mm, something similar happened and the 2 pin in my ears got pulled out and tweaked. My lesson. Do not put down the DAP. Hold it or take it out of your ears.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #16,699 of 91,346
I don't see an M9 :angry::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The volume knob on the n8ii is really winning the day for me in this pic.

It's only my birthday list! And ja, the N8ii volume knob is quite the looker, though I'm quite fond of 3MAX's very solid, buttery smooth, perfect friction volume knob.

:beerchug:

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #16,700 of 91,346
It's only my birthday list! And ja, the N8ii volume knob is quite the looker, though I'm quite fond of 3MAX's very solid, buttery smooth, perfect friction volume knob.

:beerchug:

Yup...always loved the robust look of Ibasso's "MAX" devices, even though I've yet to hear or hold one in my hands.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #16,701 of 91,346
Posted this in N8ii thread and timely with our “oneness” discussion:

“After 8 hours of sleep, revisited 3MAX SS with identical albums (FFXIV Endwalker OST 16/44 320, Mozart Divertimento KV563 in DSD512, Zero 7 Shadows EP) and mix of Tidal and Apple Music streaming. I should preface that 3MAX SS is still my bae - iBasso's warm tuning, technical capabilities and dual implementation of AKM4499.
Listening to FFXIV OST Heroes Forge Ahead is phenomenal. I can't stop listening to this soundtrack and I haven't even played the game. I usually build a strong affinity to the OST's once I've actually played the game and built some understanding or connection with characters and their backstory but man, I still get enveloped completely in the detail and musicality of the soundtrack on the Dorados and the M11+ ESS.

20220316_173204.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #16,702 of 91,346
That was one plan but VE got back to me and said they'd do it for free and included a DHL shipping label in the email so I thought I should take them up on it. Also, it will be like a month until the 4.4 connectors I ordered arrive.

Edit: I also have two broken 4.4 cables I will happily procure @tgx78's services to reterminate if he's willing.
You seem to be rough on your cables. You need to get Pentagon 4.4 connectors on those cables. Have you tried finding them on Ali Express?
Meanwhile, did you get one of our Asian watercoolers to help you order that pretty Eletech cable?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #16,703 of 91,346
Meanwhile, did you get one of our Asian watercolors to help you order that pretty Eletech cable?

Close, a Canadian Watercooler-er living in Hong Kong stepped up and is currently trying to help me find the best option. I've also got the ever reliable Vance at Myheadfi taking a look. If it turns out both options find fruit I'll keep one cable for myself and reach out to you first and then @Auricon for the second as you've each expressed an interest.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #16,704 of 91,346
Listening to FFXIV OST Heroes Forge Ahead is phenomenal. I can't stop listening to this soundtrack and I haven't even played the game. I usually build a strong affinity to the OST's once I've actually played the game and built some understanding or connection with characters and their backstory but man, I still get enveloped completely in the detail and musicality of the soundtrack on the Dorados and the M11+ ESS.

20220316_173204.jpg

Nice. I need to grab one of those Fiio wireless devices just to try.

You seem to be rough on your cables.

2.5 cables are just too fragile imho. For the 4.4s I wish they came with angled connectors more regularly. Even still I've had zero problems since switching to a more compact and pocketable player (the SR25ii) for when I'm out and about.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #16,705 of 91,346
It's just a rumor. Who knows what UM will do. In general, a CIEM gives you better isolation and isolation does impact bass. Reshell would be nice. I could see myself going for that. They do customs with MEST. So, who knows.

Speaking of UM.

I've seen ads for this crazy looking IEM for years and it recently dawned on me that it's UM. It's quite a flashy design but I've never seen anyone post or share impression about it and as far as I'm aware Musicteck has never carried it. What's the deal? Is it just a statement piece? Has anyone here heard it?

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 10.26.53 AM.png

Fantastic album - melodic acid techno which is very reminiscent of the original heyday 90s vibe - clear Hardfloor influences.

20220323_191307.jpg

This reminds me-- if anyone with the M8 (@claud W perhaps) can go in and grab that stock wallpaper on the player that shows the DAC chips and post it here I would be grateful.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #16,706 of 91,346
One thing I love about the Frontier Series is they all have lower mid range emphasis to some extent. I tend to find IEMs that do that more engaging than something that is neutral in the same area.
How does the bass compare between XE6 and KR5 to your ears?

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #16,707 of 91,346
This reminds me-- if anyone with the M8 (@claud W perhaps) can go in and grab that stock wallpaper on the player that shows the DAC chips and post it here I would be grateful.

I'd love that too - saw it in a review and wondered where to get it, very cool looking.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #16,708 of 91,346
I'd love that too - saw it in a review and wondered where to get it, very cool looking.

It's one of the wallpaper options that comes with the M8.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #16,709 of 91,346
How does the bass compare between XE6 and KR5 to your ears?

KR5 is more balanced between mid and sub, whereas XE6 is more mid bassy with amazing sub extension. KR5 bass is kinda just … there. It’s fast and impactful, same great texture. XE6 is slower and more analogue, gives off proper subwoofer vibes to me. It pushes around more air to my ears too.

If bass is priority then it’s XE6 for me.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #16,710 of 91,346
It's one of the wallpaper options that comes with the M8.
I think it's the Mirage. (3 Drivers, 1 BA Low, 1 BA Mid, 1 BA High)
I had it down that it was a good possibility for Metal.

oops, wrong quote to quote

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back