THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 14, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #331 of 951
Tempting! I am on the fence about throwing $1700+ on Tak 2A3s for my WA23 (leaving the rectifier alone for now), but fluctuating between tubes or upgrading power conditioner or going all out on a total DAC. The latter being most expensive obviously, but the most likely immediate boost in SQ as its an actual component upgrade.

What DAC are you currently using, and what are you thinking of potentially upgrading to?

May 14, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #332 of 951
What DAC are you currently using, and what are you thinking of potentially upgrading to?
Currently using Rockna Wavelight which is upsampled via i2s with its' Wavelight Server counterpart. Sound is immaculate, but I did notice that switching from the Ferrum OOR/Hypsos to the WA23, that the sound has become a bit too warm and dark for me despite the unparalleled musicality.

I know the amp upgrade was worth it because I am actually inclined to sit down more often and just enjoy listening-but I have a feeling that WL and WA23 synergy is just a touch too warm for my tastes.

Thinking of upgrading to the Wavedream Signature which likely would give the extra treble extension and clarity to counteract the current warmth, without sacrificing musicality and engagement due to its' organic timbre and dynamics (so I've read).

May 14, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #333 of 951
Tempting! I am on the fence about throwing $1700+ on Tak 2A3s for my WA23 (leaving the rectifier alone for now), but fluctuating between tubes or upgrading power conditioner or going all out on a total DAC. The latter being most expensive obviously, but the most likely immediate boost in SQ as its an actual component upgrade.
Ok my advice given my component by component upgrade route. Start with music server and source, I added Phoenix usb as a coup de grace, then amp( of course the better the better,) then tubes takatsuki power and rectifier. The dac will scale, the hp will scale accordingly. Of course dac for me maybe next but I’m finding it difficult to convince myself the tens of tho are worth it, but for me it’s mpd8 all the way, or just stick it out with TT.
So whatever order or magnitude but server, amp, tubes, then cables, usb reclocker last power. But imo

May 14, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #334 of 951
Ok my advice given my component by component upgrade route. Start with music server and source, I added Phoenix usb as a coup de grace, then amp( of course the better the better,) then tubes takatsuki power and rectifier. The dac will scale, the hp will scale accordingly. Of course dac for me maybe next but I’m finding it difficult to convince myself the tens of tho are worth it, but for me it’s mpd8 all the way, or just stick it out with TT.
So whatever order or magnitude but server, amp, tubes, then cables, usb reclocker last power. But imo
For sure- I am quite happy with the WL Server, and I do have an etherREGEN in between my router and streamer (mostly for peace of mind although I noticed a cleaner sound versus a normal tplink network switch). Some quality TWL ethernet cables to and from the etherREGEN. I will try and get a demo of a used Rockna Wavedream Signature and go from there-if it's as good as they say, the power tubes will likely have to wait a little bit longer :)

May 14, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #335 of 951
Been travelling so much that I haven't had time to post. Just got home very late last night from Orlando with family. Home for 3 days, then going to Tahiti for 2 weeks for a family reunion. This is too much travel for me this year. Going to stay home in June. Anyway, I got this new cable for use with Susvara. It is a Chimera adapter for speaker taps. Got luck it is the same color as my Chimera. Really looking forward to hearing it today to see if I can hear a difference with my Riviera AIC-10 from XLR port or speaker taps to drive Susvara.

Image_20240514_064153.jpeg

May 14, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #336 of 951
Currently using Rockna Wavelight which is upsampled via i2s with its' Wavelight Server counterpart. Sound is immaculate, but I did notice that switching from the Ferrum OOR/Hypsos to the WA23, that the sound has become a bit too warm and dark for me despite the unparalleled musicality.

I know the amp upgrade was worth it because I am actually inclined to sit down more often and just enjoy listening-but I have a feeling that WL and WA23 synergy is just a touch too warm for my tastes.

Thinking of upgrading to the Wavedream Signature which likely would give the extra treble extension and clarity to counteract the current warmth, without sacrificing musicality and engagement due to its' organic timbre and dynamics (so I've read).

I haven't owned it, but I'd take a look at the Mola Mola Tambaqui. Every time I demo it, I'm struck by how spacious and open its presentation is, which may synergize well with a warm amp. @HONEYBOY has one that I know he loves; perhaps he can offer some insight.

(I'd have gotten one a long time ago, but it has only XLR out, and I need both XLR and RCA outs for my amp)

Been travelling so much that I haven't had time to post. Just got home very late last night from Orlando with family. Home for 3 days, then going to Tahiti for 2 weeks for a family reunion. This is too much travel for me this year. Going to stay home in June. Anyway, I got this new cable for use with Susvara. It is a Chimera adapter for speaker taps. Got luck it is the same color as my Chimera. Really looking forward to hearing it today to see if I can hear a difference with my Riviera AIC-10 from XLR port or speaker taps to drive Susvara.

As I'm using the Chimera cable with the AIC10 like you, super curious whether you find a notable difference connecting throug h the speaker taps vs. headphone out.. awaiting your report 🙏😉

May 14, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #337 of 951
I haven't owned it, but I'd take a look at the Mola Mola Tambaqui. Every time I demo it, I'm struck by how spacious and open its presentation is, which may synergize well with a warm amp. @HONEYBOY has one that I know he loves; perhaps he can offer some insight.
I've connected with Honeyboy and he indeed has confirmed its synergy. MMT is on my shortlist, thanks for sharing!

May 14, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #338 of 951
May 14, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #339 of 951

(I'd have gotten one a long time ago, but it has only XLR out, and I need both XLR and RCA outs for my amp)

As I'm using the Chimera cable with the AIC10 like you, super curious whether you find a notable difference connecting throug h the speaker taps vs. headphone out.. awaiting your report 🙏😉
The Mola Mola Tambaqui was one I was considering before I bought the Auralic VEGA G2.2, which I really like for its analog pre amp for vinyl and a very good Roon end point. That said, if I was to upgrade it would be the Mola Mola or maybe the VEGA G3.

One little know perk of that G2.2 is it’s reported at max of 384/32 but, by chance, I found it goes up to 768/32 when playing PGGB wave files via the Auralic app. I need to try a HQPlayer NAA to see if it will take an upscaled feed of 768/32 from that as well. The 768/32 PGGB files sound incredible with the VEGA.

May 14, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #340 of 951
are u guys using power conditioner/ filter ? im not sure how many percent will it improve my setup but any good brand recommend?, i want to try and see if any differences with and without. For now i just plug direct to wall power outlet.
I'm using a Denefrips BIC-500 balanced transformer.

May 14, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #341 of 951
May 14, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #343 of 951

Im was thinking about getting speaker tap too, please let us know if u can hear the differences with sus.

May 14, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #344 of 951

I think going first to maximizing the WA23 with the Taks or even Linlai Elite 2A3s best specced would be a good start before going all out on the WDSig with WDNet. Even just switching 2A3tubes can massively change the overall balance from dark to neutral perfect with additional gains in micro/macro + scale

May 14, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #345 of 951
for those using Puritan blocks, did u ground them? what happens if you don't?
They do sell grounding solution but I’m using normal 3 prong plug for grounding. All my electric outlet at home are properly grounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back