THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 14, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #316 of 950
Are you sure you don’t have a bad adapter ?

Out of curiosity I searched and pulled up an old post from 2009 where a guy measured signals through a variety of cable lengths with and without adapters and a the difference between a six foot length of cable and two three foot lengths with a connector joining them to a total six foot length was 0.005db. Worst case with any configuration was 0.03db which was equivalent to 0.1% difference.

I have in the past set up a test with a standard cable and the same cable plugged into a series of adapters up and down for a total of five additional connections that were easy to remove quickly for a simple A/B test and it made no obvious audible difference.

Totally saves me the trouble of having to test it out myself, thanks! :smile:

May 14, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #317 of 950
Happy to be joining this thread and look forward to the endless chats. :o2smile:

Thanks to Eyal for making this!

Currently I am listening with the ZMF Aegis and Caldera Closed, and this pairing is truly something special. I can't wait for more people to discover this, and in my opinion it doesn't get any better. Zach is on fire with his latest offerings no doubt.

May 14, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #318 of 950
Happy to be joining this thread and look forward to the endless chats. :o2smile:

Thanks to Eyal for making this!

Currently I am listening with the ZMF Aegis and Caldera Closed, and this pairing is truly something special. I can't wait for more people to discover this, and in my opinion it doesn't get any better. Zach is on fire with his latest offerings no doubt.

What output tubes are you currently rolling with the Aegis?

I’ve had the Mullard EL37 for awhile and they are exquisite, airy, refined . Recently switched to Tung-Sol made RCA 6550 that have more texture and bass, and going to switch to Shu Guang WEKT88 Plus next.

May 14, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #319 of 950
What output tubes are you currently rolling with the Aegis?

I’ve had the Mullard EL37 for awhile and they are exquisite, airy, refined . Recently switched to Tung-Sol made RCA 6550 that have more texture and bass, and going to switch to Shu Guang WEKT88 Plus next.
I am currently running a pair of Russian 6P3S from 51', and they have deep bass, linear mids, and really extended treble without being harsh. The staging is quite impressive and very expansive.

1000005611.jpg

1000005614.jpg

I also have some Mullard 6L6G 54' arriving today. . .

What rectifier are you running?

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #320 of 950
takatsuki rules

May 14, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #321 of 950
I am currently running a pair of Russian 6P3S from 51', and they have deep bass, linear mids, and really extended treble without being harsh. The staging is quite impressive and very expansive.

1000005611.jpg
1000005614.jpg

I also have some Mullard 6L6G 54' arriving today. . .

What rectifier are you running?

Very cool. Never tried those. Will put on my To Do list.. 🙏

May 14, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #324 of 950
My jaw dropped on takatsuki after trying electro harmonic, psvane, and kr audio. My tube rolling is over. Takatsuki makes a fantastic rectifier 274b but it does tighten the sound stage with great imagery, it gets a real boost with power tubes 2a3 but many ways to slice the cake

May 14, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #325 of 950
My jaw dropped on takatsuki after trying electro harmonic, psvane, and kr audio. My tube rolling is over. Takatsuki makes a fantastic rectifier 274b but it does tighten the sound stage with great imagery, it gets a real boost with power tubes 2a3 but many ways to slice the cake
Doesn't surprise me as those other new production brands are average at best. You ever try any NOS/OS rectifiers?

May 14, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #326 of 950
They are definitely worth a try.

What rectifier are you running in your Aegis?

I currently use Philips Miniwatt GZ34 (Sittard factory, 1968, black base, DD getter). Input tubes are Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY (1950-52).

Which amp are you using it with? I have yet to try this brand.

May 14, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #327 of 950
Are you sure you don’t have a bad adapter ?

Out of curiosity I searched and pulled up an old post from 2009 where a guy measured signals through a variety of cable lengths with and without adapters and a the difference between a six foot length of cable and two three foot lengths with a connector joining them to a total six foot length was 0.005db. Worst case with any configuration was 0.03db which was equivalent to 0.1% difference.

I have in the past set up a test with a standard cable and the same cable plugged into a series of adapters up and down for a total of five additional connections that were easy to remove quickly for a simple A/B test and it made no obvious audible difference.

No, it’s the same with other adaptors I’ve tried. 2 to be exact.

Yeah I measured resistance and capacitance both with and without the adaptor and it was negligible.

Someone told me Tyll Herstens said the adaptor adds a bit of crossfeed.
This was after I told him what I heard.

Dunno man I can’t hear the difference between different wire.

May 14, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #328 of 950
Ah, okay that makes so much more sense! 🤣

I can't say that I've ever noticed that before, but then again I've never tested for that either. I don't think that I have a 3.5 mm and a 6.35 mm version of the same cable laying around... but if I find one in storage somewhere, I'll give that a listen.

Yeah I wouldn’t have heard it either if I wasn’t bored and doing a mini project making headphone cables. Lol
I never noticed it before.
But I made a few cables and after not being able to hear a diff between wire, I heard a diff between two and couldn’t figure it out except the adaptor. That’s how I stumbled upon it. So I tested using that variable.

Yeah if you get a chance it would be cool for you to test.
My 54 year old ears can hear the diff.

I do still have good hearing though. But still. Things are starting to roll off. Lol

Cheers man

May 14, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #329 of 950
Doesn't surprise me as those other new production brands are average at best. You ever try any NOS/OS rectifiers?
Nope, just the ones I mentioned

May 14, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #330 of 950
Tempting! I am on the fence about throwing $1700+ on Tak 2A3s for my WA23 (leaving the rectifier alone for now), but fluctuating between tubes or upgrading power conditioner or going all out on a total DAC. The latter being most expensive obviously, but the most likely immediate boost in SQ as its an actual component upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back