THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #181 of 750
If your library consists of mainly music with lots of sub-bass, then Valkyria won’t be a good fit. It excels with live and acoustic instruments, that’s why it really fits my tastes as I listen to mainly jazz and classical pieces.

Speaking off jazz... just put this track on. I love this Danish jazz singer, Sinne Eeg. I like her Danish version for the classic standard "Singing to myself", but if you prefer she also has this identical recording in English:

1715553030734.png

Meantime, a bit of a change of setup my end for the evening hours. Switched to the HD800s and Glenn OTL. The GOTL is an unusually powerful OTL amp; less refinement, moe bite, which works really nicely wtih the HD800s' in bring center image focus into its otherwise more difussed presentation. Very nice with the track above..

1715553065855.png

May 12, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #182 of 750
IEMs have been consuming me a ton lately, but this is still home base for me. Hasn’t gotten as much love lately, but man do I still love this combination:

IMG_2511.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #184 of 750
IEMs have been consuming me a ton lately, but this is still home base for me. Hasn’t gotten as much love lately, but man do I still love this combination:

IMG_2511.jpeg
Wow. Very nice!

May 12, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #185 of 750
Speaking off jazz... just put this track on. I love this Danish jazz singer, Sinne Eeg. I like her Danish version for the classic standard "Singing to myself", but if you prefer she also has this identical recording in English:
Thanks buddy, I’ll give it a listen 👍🏼

May 12, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #186 of 750
I've demo-ed both at the recent CanJam NYC (my detailed notes).

The Immanis was absolutely a show hightlight. It was nothing short of incredible, demo conditions and all. I've arranged for a home demo, but learned last week that a recent shipmetn of theirs got detroyed and so they're in shortage of units worldwide, struggling to fulfill purchased orders. I do hope to get to try it in my home system in the coming weeks 🤞. At the show, I found them just steller. Top estat level resolution and outstanding imaging, and yet offering a natural timbre. I'm cautious of making quick judgment based on hearing exciting new heapdhones in show conditions but, at the moment, they sounded like a great blend of Susvara's speed and timbre with estat speed and resolution.

I've also demoed the Valkyria. I've never managed to connect with them and tried them again, this time on the new Headamp CFA3 (to be released). Theses headphones have many fans, but I still can't connect with their presentation. Female vocals sound great on it, but the bass and lower mids are tune a little off to my taste, sometimes sounding good, sometimes not so much. They aren't technically complete as Susvara. That said, some folks really love them. I know @number1sixerfan has them (or had them recently) and likes them alot, perhaps he can share more insight.

(I also concur with @Hiker816 inputs above)

They're very unique, so some will love them and others not so much. The Valkyria shines with timbre, particularly with vocals, piano and guitar. Just amazing and very realistic. It's also very intimate and unique in its darker tone (but somehow doesn't come off as too dark to me). It definitely has sub-bass rolloff and doesn't have the same in your face detail and resolution as the Immanis or SGL Sr., in example.

I think it's an excellent contrast to every and anything, but it would never be my only set of headphones.

May 12, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #187 of 750
May 12, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #188 of 750
The ATH AWKT Kokutan seems to have some detractors on the basis that it is too treble focused. However, as with most Audio Technica HPs, off a lush amp, it does not suffer from treble fatigue. :)

Regardless, the striped ebony ear cups are subtly elegant.

IMG_4409.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #189 of 750
The ATH AWKT Kokutan seems to have some detractors on the basis that it is too treble focused. However, as with most Audio Technica HPs, off a lush amp, it does not suffer from treble fatigue. :)

Regardless, the striped ebony ear cups are subtly elegant.

IMG_4409.jpeg

I had the AWAS a couple of years ago. They have beautiful mids, espeically great for vocals. Never got to roll pads and amps with them as I learned what that can do only after I sold them... 🤷‍♂️ That's a gorgeous wood you have there!

May 12, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #190 of 750
Have to do some catchup work today and this old favorite jazz album is wonderful backgorund listen on this rainy day in NYC. I've owned this CD since it was released 30 years ago. A very intimate duo recording made in Italy, with Lee Konitz on sax and local pianist Renato Sellani. A very quiet and nuanced recording by two musicians who listen to each other, made for a quiet moment in the day...

Love the sax, Just added to my Roon library and will listen soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

May 12, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #191 of 750
how do these compare for you?

I can only speak to very early impressions, but should have both side by side in early June. From the one time listen, I think the SGL Sr. is more resolving (which it is compared to anything), but the Immanis seemed to have a bit more neutral tonality and better bass while still being really resolving itself. Very much looking forward to the in home demo to compare directly. It's an exciting time in the hobby. :)

May 12, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #192 of 750
I can only speak to very early impressions, but should have both side by side in early June. From the one time listen, I think the SGL Sr. is more resolving (which it is compared to anything), but the Immanis seemed to have a bit more neutral tonality and better bass while still being really resolving itself. Very much looking forward to the in home demo to compare directly. It's an exciting time in the hobby. :)

would be great to compare notes when we both get our home demos. Really keen to get your comparison with our Shang Sr. most of all.. pls drop impressions here when the time comes 🙏

May 12, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #193 of 750
Love the sax, Just added to my Roon library and will listen soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

so another sax/piano duo for you with Lee Konitz... this one with Barry Harris, a true pianists' pianist (as a real life story, he was my jazz piano teacher's teacher😉 got to see him perform at the Village Vanguard before he passed away, played to a very blessed old age):

1715564752945.png

May 12, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #194 of 750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back