THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #106 of 813
Your HY69 SET amp is gorgeous.. drop a picture here sometime for everyone to drool over ❤🤤

Here it is! Although I'm rebuilding it this summer. Respec'd the output transformers and going to put the power supply in a separate chassis with an umbilical. Switching to fixed bias, so it will have Simpson biasing meters on the front panel as well. Blue caps going away, so a little cleaner aesthetics too.

PXL_20240211_214117076.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240311_231849975.NIGHT.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #107 of 813
Here it is! Although I'm rebuilding it this summer. Respec'd the output transformers and going to put the power supply in a separate chassis with an umbilical. Switching to fixed bias, so it will have Simpson biasing meters on the front panel as well. Blue caps going away, so a little cleaner aesthetics too.

PXL_20240211_214117076.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240311_231849975.NIGHT.jpg

Love that look. And I I’ve seen those biasing meters on the crazy amp you built for Zach..:wink:

May 12, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #108 of 813
Silver wire version $2,880 :sunglasses: that's a good idea, might want to add some switched ins / outs to mine at some point. My targeted headphone audio rack setup is PCM63 DAC switched outputs to my HY69 SET and 6336 OTL. Would be nice to use the AVC with my OTL too.
Man, had PCM63 in my KPS20i, loved the sound of that DAC chip. 😎

That's a rather nice looking tube amp you've built!

May 12, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #109 of 813
What a great thread already. There is already such a diversity of posters. I am going to spend a lot of time reading this thread. Can't wait for the first poll once we get a critical mass of posters.

Anyone planning on going to CanJam London?

May 12, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #110 of 813
What a great thread already. There is already such a diversity of posters. I am going to spend a lot of time reading this thread. Can't wait for the first poll once we get a critical mass of posters.

Anyone planning on going to CanJam London?
In two minds, really want to come down to actually listen to gear but well aware that's harder than you'd think due to environment. Then there's the social aspect and I've not been to a meet yet! We shall see...

May 12, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #111 of 813
In two minds, really want to come down to actually listen to gear but well aware that's harder than you'd think due to environment. Then there's the social aspect and I've not been to a meet yet! We shall see...
Just come. We will have fun

May 12, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #112 of 813
two pieces of gear can't shake from mid fi 10 years ago, chord TT and hd800S.. update DAC but really, what's the rush. newest gear is innous phoenix USB.

IMG_9750.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #113 of 813
Cool new thread! Thanks @goldwerger for starting.

But now with all the posts on the two watercoller threads I think my days will be consumed with just trying to stay caught up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You and I, brother 😁

newest gear is innous phoenix USB.

Heard good things. Was thinking one day to at the Phoenix Net (I use Ethernet info my DAC). How did you find adding the Phoenix to your chain?

May 12, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #114 of 813
two pieces of gear can't shake from mid fi 10 years ago, chord TT and hd800S.. update DAC but really, what's the rush. newest gear is innous phoenix USB.

IMG_9750.jpeg
Great choice of music. Though I did not enjoy his most recent releases as much, Marquis does have something really unique going on with his music. He sounds great live as well, saw him playing with Mcravens band.

May 12, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #115 of 813
Great choice of music. Though I did not enjoy his most recent releases as much, Marquis does have something really unique going on with his music. He sounds great live as well, saw him playing with Mcravens band.
true, its the only hill i own

May 12, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #117 of 813
Yooo we here boys ! Hope some of the watercooler IEM purists decide to finally try a headphone for size ! ( @aaf evo )

@aaf evo and @Damz87 are lost cases 😇

Haha I gave the ZMF Caldera open-backs a try last week at home, I have accepted that I need IEM isolation at all times or I don't feel too engaged with my music.

I'll be lurking around here though! :beerchug: Congrats on the thread launch!

May 12, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #118 of 813
You and I, brother 😁

Heard good things. Was thinking one day to at the Phoenix Net (I use Ethernet info my DAC). How did you find adding the Phoenix to your chain?
really good, especially low end but everything is better. maybe at expense of edge and air......it needs 50 hours burn in, but i don't use ethernet for sound, but for those that do, i heard net is also good

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #119 of 813
really good, especially low end but everything is better. maybe at expense of edge and air...... but i don't use ethernet for sound, but for those that do, i heard net is also good

🙏

I have accepted that I need IEM isolation at all times or I don't feel too engaged with my music.

You and I will walk the SoCal show together. I’ll find a great closed-back set for you… 😉

May 12, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #120 of 813
Congrats, @goldwerger, on a great launch to an obviously overdue thread!

When it gets to 1000 pages, I'll be ready to buy some headphones and an amp!
At this rate, that might be next week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back