THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #91 of 741
keen to try a better passive preamp. bought a cheap sub 100 buck one off amazon and it did the job. so am wondering what higher end passive preamps will offer. am in touch with Tim from Axiom for one of his Luminous preamps with walker mod. thereafter maybe a Music First Audio preamp if I like how the Axiom one sounds.
(obsession is triggered now)

I have a long and stormy history with passive preamps. I came within a hair of buying an Axiom 7-8 years ago. Would have if Tim hadn't been severely out of pocket due to a death in the family. These days the passives that really interest me are all TVCs (transformer volume control), specifically, boxes using autoformers by Slagle & others.
  • The problem I found w/trad passives is they fully expose the listener to the sum total of the capacitance and impedance (in and out) of his/her system where the passive would reside. It might sound great; or, as happened to me a couple times, it sounded awful, thin, bright, weird, dynamics MIA
  • My first passive ended up being the best--an inexpensive TVC from NHT, makers of the powered monitors & sub that revolutionized my desktop audio game ~18 yrs ago. That little TVC uses a transformer, RCA in/RCA out, and a simple pot (no remote). Its sonic deficiencies even w/far better components than before are very minor, hard to hear if I'm not critically listening.
  • At no time does the TVC drain the life out of the sound as a PVC may/can
The only problem (familiar audio issue)? If one can't DIY it, the really good quality boxes cost minimum $2K, sometimes a multiple of that--even used. Example of good used one below:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...-amplifier-silver-passive?refsource=hifishark

And here's the new one (already "end of life cycle"!!) I fantasize about buying:

https://www.passivepreamp.com/product/icon-4-pro-unbalanced/

(obsession returned to storage in mind/vault)

May 12, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #92 of 741

I have a long and stormy history with passive preamps. I came within a hair of buying an Axiom 7-8 years ago. Would have if Tim hadn't been severely out of pocket due to a death in the family. These days the passives that really interest me are all TVCs (transformer volume control), specifically, boxes using autoformers by Slagle & others.
On that note, I recently bought and have fallen hard for the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE preamp, which is passive at low gain, but switches into active mode if needed.

It’s absolutely brilliant with my powered ATC speakers, and is both well-designed, solidly built, and sounds incredible (literally the opposite of thin, bright, etc.).

It’s even upgradeable if the fancy strikes and budget allows, but honestly the stock unit sounds so damn good that unless you have reference-level gear (mine is definitely steps below that!), I can’t imagine that being necessary. Highly recommended- and a bit less money than the units you link to above. 😉

May 12, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #94 of 741
May 12, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #95 of 741

I salute your strength of mind!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I considered the icon4pro but I don't think I could get used to the form factor. hmm there is one last balanced unit available..

May 12, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #96 of 741

• The problem I found w/trad passives is they fully expose the listener to the sum total of the capacitance and impedance (in and out) of his/her system where the passive would reside. It might sound great; or, as happened to me a couple times, it sounded awful, thin, bright, weird, dynamics MIA
  • My first passive ended up being the best--an inexpensive TVC from NHT, makers of the powered monitors & sub that revolutionized my desktop audio game ~18 yrs ago. That little TVC uses a transformer, RCA in/RCA out, and a simple pot (no remote). Its sonic deficiencies even w/far better components than before are very minor, hard to hear if I'm not critically listening.
The only problem (familiar audio issue)? If one can't DIY it, the really good quality boxes cost minimum $2K, sometimes a multiple of that--even used. Example of good used one below:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...-amplifier-silver-passive?refsource=hifishark

And here's the new one (already "end of life cycle"!!) I fantasize about buying:

If you want to try a truly exceptional passive preamp, then Google 'NVA' or 'Nene Valley Audio '. You'll struggle to do better at any price.

May 12, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #97 of 741

Anyone with a little DIY know how should really give an AVC / TVC a try! For a little over $1K, you can get Intact Audio's AVC built into a 47-step switch. Really no going back once you've heard it vs. a resistive pot.

Here's mine, built in a separate chassis for my main headamp.

PXL_20231105_111324941-2.jpg PXL_20231105_111406994-2.jpgPXL_20231105_111758224.NIGHT-2.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #98 of 741
Although I think that ± 80% of my listening time is absorbed by iems nowadays, here some pics of my current (low/mid budget) hp/desktop collection...

20230415_124149.jpg

20230212_165455.jpg

20230512_163604.jpg

20230709_121344.jpg

Compared to what I've spent on portable (iems/daps/cables) gear so far, it's a lot of fun for really (as I was able to pick up everything at great 2nd hand prices on various market places) not that much money.

Btw, the Grados are still my 2 favorites, followed closely by the Quad. Of course it's also always a matter of synergy, depending on which source you use :)

May 12, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #99 of 741
Anyone with a little DIY know how should really give an AVC / TVC a try! For a little over $1K, you can get Intact Audio's AVC built into a 47-step switch. Really no going back once you've heard it vs. a resistive pot.

So I'm guessing something like this with sensitive transducaers would negate the need to use dac as pre into HP amp and be able to run the dac direct out into passive to give better range on the HP amp (tubes) ?

EG, I run around - 30dB out of the M21 (which changes it from direct out to pre) into envy to allow better range of volume on Envy with Storm (anything from 10 o'clock to 2-3 o'clock.

With a passive I'd be able to direct out of the M21, remove the pre stage then use passive to give Envy the same volume range (at same impedance as before) as when running - 30dB on the M21?

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #100 of 741
So I'm guessing something like this with sensitive transducaers would negate the need to use dac as pre into HP amp and be able to run the dac direct out into passive to give better range on the HP amp (tubes) ?

EG, I run around - 30dB out of thr M21 (which changes it from direct out to pre) into envy to allow better range of volume on Envy (anything from 10 o'clock to 2-3 o'clock. With a passive I'd be able to direct out of the M21, remove the pre stage then use passive to give Envy the same volume range (at same impedance as before) as when running - 30dB on the M21?

You would treat this like you would any other potentiometer, so run the DAC at it's full output and use the passive pre to attenuate. If the amp has an existing pot, turn it to max volume. And if you need more adjustability with the passive pre with sensitive transducers, you could turn down the DAC output from there. So chain would be DAC > AVC passive pre > Envy with pot at max volume. Obviously if you decide to remove the passive pre, have to remember to turn the pot volume back down!

May 12, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #101 of 741
Cool, as I thought then. Might have a nosey into this then. 👌

Any reason to max the volume pot on the amp side?

May 12, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #102 of 741
Cool new thread! Thanks @goldwerger for starting.

But now with all the posts on the two watercoller threads I think my days will be consumed with just trying to stay caught up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

May 12, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #103 of 741
Congrats, @goldwerger, on a great launch to an obviously overdue thread!

When it gets to 1000 pages, I'll be ready to buy some headphones and an amp!

I’m gonna hold you to that promise Mark 😁

Tnx for your efforts, Jonathan, but coming from Stax Lambda Pro Signature...

Can't have it all in life and I can easily accept that.

drftr

Have fond memories of my LNS. In the end, the rectangular shallow cups did me in and I let them go. There are some better and more comfortable stats around these days if you ever get curious…:wink:

PXL_20231105_111324941-2.jpg PXL_20231105_111406994-2.jpgPXL_20231105_111758224.NIGHT-2.jpg

I might need to get one. Or two.. one for XLR and one for RCA outs.

Way back, had Bryan (@HiGHFLYiN9 ) build me a custom switchbox which I spec-ed. It has both XLR and RCA ins (to which I plug my Bricasti DAC), and can separately route each of them to any of 4 XLR and 4 RCA outs (which I use with various headphone amps). It’s my system’s central never system. The only thing it misses is a passive volume attenuator. I was afraid to add one to avoid impacting SQ. But your solution may be something I could add after the switch box and before the amps.. hmm 🤔🤦🏻🤷‍♂️😊

IMG_0021.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #104 of 741
I’m gonna hold you to that promise Mark 😁

Have fond memories of my LNS. In the end, the rectangular shallow cups did me in and I let them go. There are some better and more comfortable stats around these days if you ever get curious…:wink:

I might need to get one. Or two.. one for XLR and one for RCA outs.

Way back, had Bryan (@HiGHFLYiN9 ) build me a custom switchbox which I spec-ed. It has both XLR and RCA ins (to which I plug my Bricasti DAC), and can separately route each of them to any of 4 XLR and 4 RCA outs (which I use with various headphone amps). It’s my system’s central never system. The only thing it misses is a passive volume attenuator. I was afraid to add one to avoid impacting SQ. But your solution may be something I could add after the switch box and before the amps.. hmm 🤔🤦🏻🤷‍♂️😊

IMG_0021.jpeg

Silver wire version $2,880 :sunglasses: that's a good idea, might want to add some switched ins / outs to mine at some point. My targeted headphone audio rack setup is PCM63 DAC switched outputs to my HY69 SET and 6336 OTL. Would be nice to use the AVC with my OTL too.

May 12, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #105 of 741
Silver wire version $2,880 :sunglasses: that's a good idea, might want to add some switched ins / outs to mine at some point. My targeted headphone audio rack setup is PCM63 DAC switched outputs to my HY69 SET and 6336 OTL. Would be nice to use the AVC with my OTL too.

Your HY69 SET amp is gorgeous.. drop a picture here sometime for everyone to drool over ❤🤤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back