The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 31, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #1,366 of 3,728
Unless we can convince @L0rdGwyn to build some for us 😄.

Sorry my friend, you'd have to run that one by Zach! I am retired from selling amplifiers, only exception being if I have one that I'm looking to let go of. Industry collab in the future is possible though.

It's going to be a rainy stay indoors kind of day, going to try and get some work done on the Aegis amplifier documentation...

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,367 of 3,728
Sorry my friend, you'd have to run that one by Zach! I am retired from selling amplifiers, only exception being if I have one that I'm looking to let go of.
Well, at least we have the benefit of your wisdom here on the forum! 👍

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,368 of 3,728
First / second: Welcome to Head-Fi and congratulations on building BHC+SB !! Which specific tubes are you using in BHC? Before ‘eyeing’ a different headphone amplifier, some judicious tube ‘rolling’ could give you a better idea of BHC’s outer capabilities. Those might satisfy you, period. My tube suggestions are power tube: Raytheon 6080WC; input tube: Brimar CV491, Mullard CV4003, RCA ‘clear top’ 12AU7, RFT ECC82 (‘halo’ or ‘foil’ getter). Head-Fiers …. chime in 🔔 !
@jonathan c I'm about to push the button on these but hoping you can check they are the ones you meant? https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6080wc-raytheon-nos-valve-tube/ and https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/ecc82-12au7-rft-germany-nos-valve-tube-t16a/ and https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/cv4003-12au7wa-brimar-nos-valve-tube-t14b/

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #1,369 of 3,728
Apr 2, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #1,370 of 3,728
Two different flavors of awesomeness, that both sound insane off the Cayin HA300mk2. The colors of the wood are a good tell for the flavor of each headphone. :wink:

20230402_072837.jpg

I have had this amp for months now, and it is still continuing to blow my mind every time I listen with either one of my headphones. I really can't recommend the HA300MK2 enough, and I am so glad I took the plunge. The tubes are ridiculously expensive, but with what I am hearing I can't imagine it sounding any better.

20230127_094413.jpg

Cayin HA300mk2 + ZMF's = Insanity at it's finest. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,371 of 3,728
Two different flavors of awesomeness, that both sound insane off the Cayin HA300mk2. The colors of the wood are a good tell for the flavor of each headphone. :wink:

20230402_072837.jpg

I have had this amp for months now, and it is still continuing to blow my mind every time I listen with either one of my headphones. I really can't recommend the HA300MK2 enough, and I am so glad I took the plunge. The tubes are ridiculously expensive, but with what I am hearing I can't imagine it sounding any better.

20230127_094413.jpg

You say that as if insanity were a BAD thing, Wes… 😜

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #1,372 of 3,728
Hello,
I had the pleasure of testing the Mcintosh mha 200 yesterday.
It was connected to Node 3 and I took my Zmf Auteur with me.

Soundwise it was not bad, but also nothing that could be dangerous for the Feliks Euforia.
The Mcintosh with the standard tubes had perhaps a little more bite in the bass range and a more tender presentation and the detail reproduction was a touch more devoted.

Still, there were 2 things that bothered me about the Mcintosh mha 200.
The first is that the ohm setting is 32,100,250,600.
32,100 ohm I find okay.
But I would have preferred 300 ohm.
Logically, the Auteur ran best with 600 ohm.
With 250 ohm I had the feeling that it slowed down the Zmf a bit.

The second thing was the potentiometer.
It is adjustable from 0 to the middle and locks at 12 o'clock, which I found good, and the volume was actually sufficient.
But after 12 o'clock it's a complete disaster.
It takes a good dexterity to dose it well.
And even then I had the feeling that the amplifier was overdoing it when it was turned past 12 o'clock.

For 3000$/3500€ I really expected more.
The size of the amp is really small, I was shocked when I saw it.

The dac was certainly not the best choice and had room for improvement.
But purely in terms of sound with the Auteur, there was very little that would have knocked my socks off.

I'm sure for the money there's better to be found in the world.

Personally, I'm currently thinking about the Cayin Ha 3A and the Decware Csp3.
I don't know if either will be an upgrade or just make the adinge look different.

Anyway, I had hoped that the Mcintosh might be a bit of an insider tip, but that wasn't the case.

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,373 of 3,728

20230402_072837.jpg

20230127_094413.jpg

Wes, what is that beautiful wood on the VC?

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,374 of 3,728
Wes, what is that beautiful wood on the VC?
It's Ambrosia Maple, and was a "November Rarity" a few years back. I absolutely love it and it can look different depending on the angle. Here is the OG pic below ZMF had taken of them, which really shows the grain and how the beetle patterns can change and darken up compared to my pics. This pair is also kind of unique in that the maple is actually curly with vertical striations as as well as having the horizontal darker striations/patterns created from the beetle, and has a lot going on in it depending on the angle and closer you look. The cups are pretty much bookmatched, and honestly this is one of the best looking and most highly figured examples of Ambrosia Maple I have ever seen.

DSC05310.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,375 of 3,728
It's Ambrosia Maple, and was a "November Rarity" a few years back. I absolutely love it and it can look different depending on the angle. Here is the OG pic below ZMF had taken of them, which really shows the grain and how the beetle patterns can change and darken up compared to my pics. This pair is also kind of unique in that the maple is actually curly with vertical striations as as well as having the horizontal darker striations/patterns created from the beetle, and has a lot going on in it depending on the angle and closer you look. The cups are pretty much bookmatched, and honestly this is one of the best looking and most highly figured examples of Ambrosia Maple I have ever seen.

DSC05310.jpg
oh-oh...

(pharmaboy reaches for the jumbo bottle of tranquilizers)

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #1,376 of 3,728

DSC05310.jpg

These are simply perfect.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #1,377 of 3,728
While waiting for my first set of tubes to roll in my BHC my thoughts are wandering back to solid state for my VC's. I've shortlisted Violectric V281, V222 and V550 in case any pop up on the second hand market here in Australia. Until then the DIY Whammy amp thread caught my interest with one ZMF owner reporting good results with his Atrium but I don't see any mention of the Whammy in this thread. Anyone here got any feedback on the Whammy with high impedance ZMF's ?

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,378 of 3,728
Hello,

I have a question for you.
How good are Decware Csp 3,A&S Kenzie,Mogwai for Zmf headphones?

With A&S I am a bit worried about the noise floor it might have.
There was some reason why Zach ended the collaboration with A&S,I guess.

The Decware Csp3 doesn't necessarily look bad either.
I like that you can also use 6SN7 tubes with an adapter.

Somehow I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade to the Feliks Euforia amp, although it's not a bad amp.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #1,379 of 3,728
Hello,

I have a question for you.
How good are Decware Csp 3,A&S Kenzie,Mogwai for Zmf headphones?

The Decware Csp3 doesn't necessarily look bad either.
I like that you can also use 6SN7 tubes with an adapter.

Somehow I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade to the Feliks Euforia amp, although it's not a bad amp.
I'll be able to comment on a Decware CSP3 in another year maybe. The backlog on assembly for orders is very long. I put my order in last Apr 2022 and looks like they are just now getting to summer 2021 orders on the build list. I'm patient and sticking with it since I think the pairing will be nice. Zach is collaborating with Decware to have some units (based on the Taboo model) ready for orders in a future to-be-determined release.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #1,380 of 3,728
I'll be able to comment on a Decware CSP3 in another year maybe. The backlog on assembly for orders is very long. I put my order in last Apr 2022 and looks like they are just now getting to summer 2021 orders on the build list. I'm patient and sticking with it since I think the pairing will be nice. Zach is collaborating with Decware to have some units (based on the Taboo model) ready for orders in a future to-be-determined release.
Ohman
Why is it so difficult to get something good from the Usa as a Eu version?

All because of Corona?

I asked DNA for the Starlett, just over a year waiting list.

Decware would be quite interesting if I could figure out this Bybass anniversry mod.
I might be able to do without it and shorten the build time.

A&S would also be interesting but there is hardly anything about it.

Everything else I have found would be something below or equal to the Feliks Euforia.
Which doesn't necessarily make much sense.

The alternative would be the Cayin Ha 3A, which I still have some reservations about, even though some things have been cleared out of the way.
I'm not in a hurry because the Atrium is coming first before I think about getting a second amp in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back