The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,336 of 3,655
Which specific tubes are you using in BHC?
Currently just using the tubes that came in the kit from bottlehead, one is a General Electric 6AS7 the other is a Sylvania but no other markings, probably a 12AU7?

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    837 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #1,337 of 3,655
But it seems like what you're enjoying is the sound of an OTL amp with the ZMF high impedenace headphone (a classic combo) so I would recommend you stick with the OTL route rather than get another SS amp.
I figured that might be the case, the burson is supposed to be a good amp and on my Focal's and LCD's it does a great job so am hoping I don't need to change it. Nervous now that I may be on the path of "better OTL" still paying off the VC's :L3000:

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #1,338 of 3,655
I figured that might be the case, the burson is supposed to be a good amp and on my Focal's and LCD's it does a great job so am hoping I don't need to change it. Nervous now that I may be on the path of "better OTL" still paying off the VC's :L3000:

I have a dangerous idea for you.... keep both :)

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #1,339 of 3,655
Currently just using the tubes that came in the kit from bottlehead, one is a General Electric 6AS7 the other is a Sylvania but no other markings, probably a 12AU7?
To echo @jonathan c , welcome!

While I do not have a BHC and other owners/experts may have better info, ideas from my Woo Audio WA2 experience:
- Power tubes: Tung-Sol (NOS) 7236, Sylvania (NOS) 7236. I use a U.S. Navy T-S 7236 pair that I like a lot. The 7236s are a bit more expensive than the 6080s I think, but FAR cheaper than 5998s or high-end 6AS7Gs…
- Input tubes: Jonathan and I are both fans of the Brimar 12AT7 (1956 Footscray production), I would also suggest considering some 5751s as an option (CBS-Hytrons can be good, but lean towards speed and slam rather than a richer sound like the Brimars). Brimar CV4033s (ideally 50s Footscray produced) are also very nice, but rarer and more expensive.

BIG caveat: Please check what tubes/variants your BHC can take! The above are options from my WA2, which is auto-biasing and very flexible. Not sure what the BHC can cater to.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #1,340 of 3,655
Bottlehead tube rolling thread
6080/6as7g rolling thread
Two good places to start. First listen on a BHC that you made yourself is a blast.
Yeah I've looked at the Bottlehead tube rolling threads and some here also but my head is just spinning with all that discussion and options so I figured to come to a pure ZMF audience as that's what my BHC was built for and ask folks who've probably already walked this path with ZMF's. Hopefully over time I'll learn enough to get value from the tube rolling threads.
I have a dangerous idea for you.... keep both :)
Yeah the plan is one SS and one tube amp...... That's the current plan anyway :beerchug:

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #1,341 of 3,655
Yeah I've looked at the Bottlehead tube rolling threads and some here also but my head is just spinning with all that discussion and options so I figured to come to a pure ZMF audience as that's what my BHC was built for and ask folks who've probably already walked this path with ZMF's. Hopefully over time I'll learn enough to get value from the tube rolling threads.

Yeah the plan is one SS and one tube amp...... That's the current plan anyway :beerchug:
Burson makes great amps. I’d say sticking with that for your non-ZMF cans is a good option. Some of us have been very happy with Violectric as well, to your point, but often as an SS option for ZMFs.

I sold my Violectric V200 (an amp so good I bought it twice…) when I realized it could not match the airiness of the WA2 and that particular tube amp only takes 2-3 minutes to warm up… but the Vios are great amps as well.

That said, I loved my Burson HA-160 SS amp and only sold it because its volume was a stepped attenuator that while excellent quality, could not be adjusted precisely enough for my tastes.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #1,342 of 3,655
To echo @jonathan c , welcome!

While I do not have a BHC and other owners/experts may have better info, ideas from my Woo Audio WA2 experience:
- Power tubes: Tung-Sol (NOS) 7236, Sylvania (NOS) 7236. I use a U.S. Navy T-S 7236 pair that I like a lot. The 7236s are a bit more expensive than the 6080s I think, but FAR cheaper than 5998s or high-end 6AS7Gs…
- Input tubes: Jonathan and I are both fans of the Brimar 12AT7 (1956 Footscray production), I would also suggest considering some 5751s as an option (CBS-Hytrons can be good, but lean towards speed and slam rather than a richer sound like the Brimars). Brimar CV4033s (ideally 50s Footscray produced) are also very nice, but rarer and more expensive.

BIG caveat: Please check what tubes/variants your BHC can take! The above are options from my WA2, which is auto-biasing and very flexible. Not sure what the BHC can cater to.
Looks like I can use any of those power tubes and none of the input tubes. Thanks for your input, I'll add those power tubes to my search list 👍

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #1,343 of 3,655
Best laid plans and all that…
My list keeps getting longer.
1 Solidstate ✔️
1 Tube ZOTL ✔️
1 Tube OTC
1 more Tube OTC (different tube types)
1 Tube OTL
1 Hybrid
1 something else I haven’t thought of yet
1 TBD

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #1,344 of 3,655

Welcome to the Crack family! There are so many options... many esoteric tubes are going for astronomical prices so it can be hard to sift through the advice to find a solid starting point. Here are a few good lower cost options that are still relatively easy to acquire that will all work natively:

Power tubes: Chatham/Tung-Sol 6080, Chatham/Tung-Sol 6AS7G, Svetlana 6N5S/6N13S
Driver tubes (all 12AU7 equivalents): Brimar 13D5, Sylvania 5814A, RFT ECC82 (foil getter sounds best), RCA 12AU7 clear top

Other good power tubes that start getting more expensive/harder to find: Mullard 6080, GEC 6080, Bendix/Chatham 6080WB, Tung-Sol 5998

If you're open to adapters, 6J5 family for drivers are chef's kiss. Deyan makes a quality 12AU7 -> Dual 6J5 Adapter

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,345 of 3,655
To @LongSong & @cats4cans,

Actual list 😀🤪 (see what lists can do!):

1 solid-state (balanced/XLR)
1 solid-state (single-end)
1 solid-state (op-amp / battery)
1 tube OTC (tube rectification)
1 tube OTC (solid-state rectification)
1 tube OTL (ZOTL, low output impedance)
1 tube OTL (high output impedance)
1 hybrid (6922/7308/E88CC, no adapters)
1 hybrid (12AU7/ECC82, adapters) ….

[ at least the tally is single digits 🤪👍 ]

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #1,347 of 3,655
Now, I need to revise my list. I’m glad we’re not also counting speaker amps. I have a list for those too.
… stereo & monoblock … 😅

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,348 of 3,655
Best laid plans and all that…
My list keeps getting longer.
1 Solidstate ✔️
1 Tube ZOTL ✔️
1 Tube OTC
1 more Tube OTC (different tube types)
1 Tube OTL
1 Hybrid
1 something else I haven’t thought of yet
1 TBD

To @LongSong & @cats4cans,

Actual list 😀🤪 (see what lists can do!):

1 solid-state (balanced/XLR)
1 solid-state (single-end)
1 solid-state (op-amp / battery)
1 tube OTC (tube rectification)
1 tube OTC (solid-state rectification)
1 tube OTL (ZOTL, low output impedance)
1 tube OTL (high output impedance)
1 hybrid (6922/7308/E88CC, no adapters)
1 hybrid (12AU7/ECC82, adapters) ….

[ at least the tally is single digits 🤪👍 ]

My list at the moment goes like this:
4 pairs of headphones
1 DAC
SS amp
OTL amp
$50 per week to pay off the VC's and save up for what's next
Complaints from the missus that I don't need any more music gear :laughing:

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #1,349 of 3,655
Welcome to the Crack family! There are so many options... many esoteric tubes are going for astronomical prices so it can be hard to sift through the advice to find a solid starting point. Here are a few good lower cost options that are still relatively easy to acquire that will all work natively:

Power tubes: Chatham/Tung-Sol 6080, Chatham/Tung-Sol 6AS7G, Svetlana 6N5S/6N13S
Driver tubes (all 12AU7 equivalents): Brimar 13D5, Sylvania 5814A, RFT ECC82 (foil getter sounds best), RCA 12AU7 clear top

Other good power tubes that start getting more expensive/harder to find: Mullard 6080, GEC 6080, Bendix/Chatham 6080WB, Tung-Sol 5998

If you're open to adapters, 6J5 family for drivers are chef's kiss. Deyan makes a quality 12AU7 -> Dual 6J5 Adapter
Thanks for the input, I'm starting to see a pattern of some common recommendations which is really helpful as a place for me to start :thumbsup:

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #1,350 of 3,655

Users who are viewing this thread

Back