The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 3, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #1,381 of 3,765
Ampandsound amps are excellent with zmf. I haven’t read through the entire thread but that is most likely stated many times here.

The bigger Ben is a fantastic match with the high impedance auteur/atrium cans and on the 16 or 32 tap the caldera is even better.

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #1,382 of 3,765
If one of Ampandsound should become, the maximum would be Mogwai, where I could go and the boss would allow it.😊

The tendency would therefore be between Kenzie and Mogwai.

Mogwai would have two advantages for connecting speakers, if I saw it correctly, and the other would be the choice of tubes, which are also not very cheap when you get into the canyons.
The latter could well happen but be justifiable.😇

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,383 of 3,765
Ohman
Why is it so difficult to get something good from the Usa as a Eu version?

All because of Corona?

I asked DNA for the Starlett, just over a year waiting list.

Decware would be quite interesting if I could figure out this Bybass anniversry mod.
I might be able to do without it and shorten the build time.

A&S would also be interesting but there is hardly anything about it.

Everything else I have found would be something below or equal to the Feliks Euforia.
Which doesn't necessarily make much sense.

The alternative would be the Cayin Ha 3A, which I still have some reservations about, even though some things have been cleared out of the way.
I'm not in a hurry because the Atrium is coming first before I think about getting a second amp in the house.
Build your own?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aegis-diy-tube-headphone-amplifier.965530/

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #1,384 of 3,765
Thank you for your attention.
Been following Lord Gwyn's project for a while.
The Aegis would also be a great amp that I wouldn't say no to.
In fact, it would be the amp of my dreams.

Unfortunately he has a lot of work to do at the moment, so the project is delayed even longer than planned and he probably wants it himself.

Would be interesting for me if most of the
published that you can start somewhere.
Board, transformer and frame are probably the longest things to wait for to arrive.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #1,385 of 3,765
How good are Decware Csp 3,A&S Kenzie,Mogwai for Zmf headphones?
Out of that list I have only heard the ampsandsound Mogwai SE with ZMF headphones. An excellent pairing, IMO :L3000: Though if you are looking for a very neutral amp, perhaps one of the other amps may be better suited. The Mogwai has plenty of energy and excitement for rock and pop music, yet can still be delicate and smooth with softer jazz and classical.

With A&S I am a bit worried about the noise floor it might have.
My Mogwai SE was the older rev 1 -- supposedly, the rev 2 is even quieter. The DAC I used had variable output so I was able to find a happy combination of DAC output and Mogwai volume setting where there was no background noise. When I was experimenting with the output and volumes settings the only time I heard noise was when I turned the Mogwai volume to max and thus had to turn the DAC output very very low, but I think the noise I heard was actually the noise floor of the DAC.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #1,386 of 3,765
When I was experimenting with the output and volumes settings the only time I heard noise was when I turned the Mogwai volume to max and thus had to turn the DAC output very very low

In my experience, that’s a recipe for noise with even the quietest of high end TC tube amps (unless u plug a Susvara into them).

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,387 of 3,765
It's Ambrosia Maple, and was a "November Rarity" a few years back. I absolutely love it and it can look different depending on the angle. Here is the OG pic below ZMF had taken of them, which really shows the grain and how the beetle patterns can change and darken up compared to my pics. This pair is also kind of unique in that the maple is actually curly with vertical striations as as well as having the horizontal darker striations/patterns created from the beetle, and has a lot going on in it depending on the angle and closer you look. The cups are pretty much bookmatched, and honestly this is one of the best looking and most highly figured examples of Ambrosia Maple I have ever seen.

DSC05310.jpg
I love that. Very nice.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,388 of 3,765
Hello,

I have a question for you.

There was some reason why Zach ended the collaboration with A&S,I guess.

The Decware Csp3 doesn't necessarily look bad either.
I like that you can also use 6SN7 tubes with an adapter.

Somehow I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade to the Feliks Euforia amp, although it's not a bad amp.
Have you looked at LTA? I have the MZ3 which is excellent with my VC.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #1,389 of 3,765
Have you looked at LTA? I have the MZ3 which is excellent with my VC.
Hello
Yes, I have looked at the Mz3.
It also looks promising.

I don't know why I'm looking for something that comes from the US when the time comes.
Maybe something a bit more special too.

With the Feliks Euforia I actually have enough neutrality and good possibilities for tube rolling.
It is indirectly designed for this if you pay attention to certain things.
Apart from that, it got a Vcap mod last year.
That should be enough.

I also think that I will stay loyal to Zmf, especially after what I heard last weekend in the hi-fi shop, it showed me even more what Zmf means.
What could still be completed in the collection would be after Atrium where ordered, VC or Caldera or even both.but that is still in the distance.

@ItHz

That's good to hear,thanks for the valuable info.
Depending on the budget, it could be the Kenzie or mogwai.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,390 of 3,765
So reading through some recent posts here and other ZMF threads got me wondering what the differences and similarities between a typical OTL amp and the high Z tap of a TC amp would be.

Is this something even possible to generalize or do the specifics make too much overlap? So far I've only used low Z output amps, SS and ZOTL. What I've gathered from reading is the notion that the tube dominates the classic OTL sound, but the transformer dominates the TC amp, but I'm not sure how that would translate into sound. With similar output impedance I would expect them to exhibit similar behavior. The designs tend to center around different tube types, though with adapters I'm sure someone has rolled the exact same tubes between OTL and TC amps.

Obviously I want to try ALL the headphones with ALL the amps, but reality means choices must be made. For flexibility, TC amps with multiple taps seem like the way to go. I guess I'm really curious what the trade offs might be, but without getting into the details of specific amps.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,391 of 3,765
Hello,

I have a question for you.

There was some reason why Zach ended the collaboration with A&S,I guess.

The Decware Csp3 doesn't necessarily look bad either.
I like that you can also use 6SN7 tubes with an adapter.

Somehow I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade to the Feliks Euforia amp, although it's not a bad amp.
I use all my ZMFs with the Mogwai and everyone of them sounds fantastic with it. The noise floor largely depends on the tubes used with it.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,392 of 3,765
I use all my ZMFs with the Mogwai and everyone of them sounds fantastic with it. The noise floor largely depends on the tubes used with it.
What are the tubes you use in the Mogwai when the noise is high?

I'm leaning a bit towards the Kenzie right now, if I like it Justin said I should buy enough tubes to last a lifetime, lol.

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,393 of 3,765
Some of the really early (40s) 6SL7s can have a higher noise floor. The tone is so good I normally don't care though. I really don't even notice unless I'm between songs or listening to some classical during quieter passages.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of A&S's amps so go for it. The Kenzie should be quite nice.

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #1,395 of 3,765
I may be wrong but a 6su7 can be substituted for a 6sl7? The TS 6su7gty are quiet with great tone.
I enjoy the Tung Sol as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back