The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 13, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,263 of 3,548
Would Auris HA2-SF be a good contender say against the likes of Feliks and Cayin amps - similar price range.

I have the Auris Nirvana, and assuming (reasonably) they are similar, I can confirm it’s a wonderful TC amp.

But it sounds quite different than the Euforia which is an OTL

The Auris provides very clean, linear, and powerful amplification. The Euforia provides more tube like sweet euphonic presentation, but limited to dynamic headphones

So depends on what you’re looking for

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #1,265 of 3,548
Is there any news about the Zmf amplifier that Zach once presented with the Decware Collab?

That would be an Otl worth waiting for.
Unfortunately Zach didn't say anything more about it.
I'd expect the JDS one to be out first, since there was already working prototypes@ CJ + he spoke about it some detail on @TylersEclectic 's podcast.

Decware, as far i know, has quite long lead times of up to a year; that's what i have read, correct me if i'm wrong.

They'd probably be looking to finish up their orders on AC, before releasing the JDS collab...

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #1,266 of 3,548
Thanks for sharing your insight. Will keep in mind about tube rolling, costs and availability.
@Monsterzero (who really knows his tubes) often says you should select a tube amp at least partly based on the particular tubes it uses (total tube count & types of tubes), factoring in availability & likely cost of NOS replacements for stock tubes. He's absolutely right...cost of quality NOS rolls for certain types of stock tubes (ie, 6SN7; 300b) is already insane and will only become more insane as time goes by.

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,268 of 3,548
@Monsterzero (who really knows his tubes) often says you should select a tube amp at least partly based on the particular tubes it uses (total tube count & types of tubes), factoring in availability & likely cost of NOS replacements for stock tubes. He's absolutely right...cost of quality NOS rolls for certain types of stock tubes (ie, 6SN7; 300b) is already insane and will only become more insane as time goes by.
I know far less about tubes than many that are in this thread, but I know enough to know that tube types that any given amp uses, at least for me, is a major deciding factor when considering a new amp.

When I decided to sell my GOTL and buy the Airmid it was an easy transition as the tube types that the Airmid uses were the same ones that I used in my modded (by L0rdgwyn) GOTL. However if one does not already have a nice stash of NOS tubes, then I would do tons of research prior to buying a new amp. What tube types does this amp use, how many tubes does this amp use, what tubes are considered God Tier of those tube types, and what are the prices of said tubes?

Often times one can get away with using alternate tubes in a given amp via adapters, but adapters can add noise and always check compatibility before using adapters and different tube types.

There are a couple guys out there who are independent amp builders and can and will build amps that stay away from the ubiquitous 6SN7/6AS7G/12AU7/300B tubes. That being said, pretty much every NOS tube type will continue to see their prices creep upwards.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,270 of 3,548

I don't disagree wtih this review. It says:

"Compared to the HA2-SF, the new one, the Euforia is a bit slower, smoother, warmer. Body-wise they’re actually very similar, but the HA2-SE is more neutral, more spacious, cleaner and more energetic. Especially the top end of the Euforia is softer compared to the HA2-SF (it’s more like the HA2-SE).

The Euforia and the HA2-SE/SF each have things they’re really good at, but if I have to rank them I would say SF > Euforia > SE. You could however prefer the more tubish sound of the Euforia, but looking at the technicalities, the Auris Audio HA2-SF is the clear winner in my humble opinion"

Now, ignore the writer's conclusion, which is already based on a preference, and look at the actual comparison of character, that is pretty spot on. For the more tube like OTL sound that is smoother and warmer, go with the Euforia. For that more clean and neutral linear amplification go with the Auris.

It depends what you are looking for!

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,271 of 3,548
I don't disagree wtih this review. It says:

"Compared to the HA2-SF, the new one, the Euforia is a bit slower, smoother, warmer. Body-wise they’re actually very similar, but the HA2-SE is more neutral, more spacious, cleaner and more energetic. Especially the top end of the Euforia is softer compared to the HA2-SF (it’s more like the HA2-SE).

The Euforia and the HA2-SE/SF each have things they’re really good at, but if I have to rank them I would say SF > Euforia > SE. You could however prefer the more tubish sound of the Euforia, but looking at the technicalities, the Auris Audio HA2-SF is the clear winner in my humble opinion"

Now, ignore the writer's conclusion, which is already based on a preference, and look at the actual comparison of character, that is pretty spot on. For the more tube like OTL sound that is smoother and warmer, go with the Euforia. For that more clean and neutral linear amplification go with the Auris.

It depends what you are looking for!
Great post. IMO it gets at a challenging truth of this hobby (audio in general): until you figure out what you like, your preferred sound, all is confusion. Easy to get lost in a sea of conflicting comments and opinions.

But when you really know what sounds good, it's a quest. It makes more sense.

Not to say one's preferred sound is fixed in stone & never changes. I find as I know more & learn, my sonic comfort zone expands over time.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #1,272 of 3,548
Great post. IMO it gets at a challenging truth of this hobby (audio in general): until you figure out what you like, your preferred sound, all is confusion. Easy to get lost in a sea of conflicting comments and opinions.

But when you really know what sounds good, it's a quest. It makes more sense.

Not to say one's preferred sound is fixed in stone & never changes. I find as I know more & learn, my sonic comfort zone expands over time.^^
^^ … better that than the middle zone! 🫃🤣

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #1,273 of 3,548
I'd expect the JDS one to be out first, since there was already working prototypes@ CJ + he spoke about it some detail on @TylersEclectic 's podcast.

Decware, as far i know, has quite long lead times of up to a year; that's what i have read, correct me if i'm wrong.

They'd probably be looking to finish up their orders on AC, before releasing the JDS collab...
Yeah, I can confirm the Decware order wait is getting longer. I ordered their CSP3 headphone amp last April'22 and looks like it will take closer to two years for the assembly unless some people back out. Their build list is just now catching up with summer 2021 orders. I'm sticking with my order since their work does seem excellent.

At CanJam NYC the other week I sat down with the JDS prototype for a few minutes. Too much crowd noise going on in the room but the amp did seem to have good power and volume. I like the design and hoping ZMF will preview some more of the JDS collaboration with nice wood casings.

20230225_103528.jpg

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,274 of 3,548
Is the Decware Zmf colaboration based on the Zen Taboo or CSP3? Or a new design.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #1,275 of 3,548
Yeah, I can confirm the Decware order wait is getting longer. I ordered their CSP3 headphone amp last April'22 and looks like it will take closer to two years for the assembly unless some people back out. Their build list is just now catching up with summer 2021 orders. I'm sticking with my order since their work does seem excellent.

At CanJam NYC the other week I sat down with the JDS prototype for a few minutes. Too much crowd noise going on in the room but the amp did seem to have good power and volume. I like the design and hoping ZMF will preview some more of the JDS collaboration with nice wood casings.

20230225_103528.jpg
Wait, the multi-color amp was the JDS collab? I totally missed it at CanJam...cute little bugger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back