The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 10, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,246 of 3,655
Is it true one needs to use HQPlayer to get the most out of that DAC?
Honestly, I've never used it. I use Roon as my streaming platform though- I think most people usually use one or the other.

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,247 of 3,655
look into a 1970s era vintage receiver. Typically much cheaper than a tube amp, unless you go after a 100wpc + behemoth. In the 60s and 70s all headphones were high impedance, so the HP jack was optimized for them. I am currently using a Sansui 881 in my system, primarily for my vintage AKGs, but it rocks ZMFs as well.

Vintage receivers also have built in tone control for bass and treble and higher end models have tone control for the mids as well. Multiple inputs make receivers quite versatile and typically have a good phono stage, if that's your thing. And best of all, no tubes to mess with.
I'm a big Sansui man myself. I've got an AU-719 paired with a TU-517 and a G-5000 that may lady runs paired with some ZU Omen speakers. Both are outstanding with high impedance phones. I also have several vintage Marantz receivers but I prefer the Sansuis.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,248 of 3,655
Maybe I’m missing out somehow, but with the tubes in my signature I like all three of my ZMFs a LOT. 😊

So I think it’s possible to have a mix of tubes that works pretty well across multiple headphones… but granted, I only have three pairs.
Agreed I have several tube combinations for several amps that sound great with all my ZMFs. Granted you can really spend the time to optimize a particular tube combination with each individual phone, but it's not a must do type of thing (unless you really want to). My current tube combination on my Mogwai is 60s GE fat boy 6CA7 power tubes paired with a 1945 RCA black plate 6SL7 input tube. This combination sounds great with every phone I've tried with it (including some planars).

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #1,249 of 3,655
I'm a big Sansui man myself. I've got an AU-719 paired with a TU-517 and a G-5000 that may lady runs paired with some ZU Omen speakers. Both are outstanding with high impedance phones. I also have several vintage Marantz receivers but I prefer the Sansuis.
Nice! Sansuis are my favorite vintage manufacturers. Warmer than Pioneer, Sony, Akai, Onkyo, Kenwood but not as warm as Marantz and McIntosh, although my Sansui 5000a is just about the warmest amp I've ever heard.
The Sansui 881 has glorious mids, and drives the hell out of the Sextetts and K340, which has an impedance of 400 ohms and a sensitivity of 89.

The 881 has gobs of power out of the HP jack and crushes my Violectric v550 in single ended mode. Granted the v550 is fantastic out of the balanced jack, but for the old AKGs who have a fixed cable and cannot be converted to balanced without major modding, the Sansui is the way to go between the two. The best part is I picked up my 881 for $75.00, lol.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,250 of 3,655
Nice! Sansuis are my favorite vintage manufacturers. Warmer than Pioneer, Sony, Akai, Onkyo, Kenwood but not as warm as Marantz and McIntosh, although my Sansui 5000a is just about the warmest amp I've ever heard.
The Sansui 881 has glorious mids, and drives the hell out of the Sextetts and K340, which has an impedance of 400 ohms and a sensitivity of 89.

The 881 has gobs of power out of the HP jack and crushes my Violectric v550 in single ended mode. Granted the v550 is fantastic out of the balanced jack, but for the old AKGs who have a fixed cable and cannot be converted to balanced without major modding, the Sansui is the way to go between the two. The best part is I picked up my 881 for $75.00, lol.
That's an incredible price for your 881! Wow! The 881 is one I really want to add to the collection along with the Model 8 Deluxe.

I had a local tech go through my AU-719 and replace the caps and anything else that needed replacing. He bench tested it afterwards and though it was rated at 95 wpc, both channels put out 139 watts before clipping with an 8ohm load. Pretty incredible what those vintage Sansuis can do.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,251 of 3,655
The 8 Deluxe is the Holy Grail of Sansui receivers. Major $$$. My 881 is a survivor with some nicks and peeling laminate, but still sounds fantastic. An 881 in great physical condition can set you back over a grand these days.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #1,252 of 3,655
The 8 Deluxe is the Holy Grail of Sansui receivers. Major $$$. My 881 is a survivor with some nicks and peeling laminate, but still sounds fantastic. An 881 in great physical condition can set you back over a grand these days.
I had a bead on an 8 Deluxe a couple of years ago locally for $750. It sold before I got to it but I did get a Marantz 2250B with the optional wood case that had been gone through and was in mint condition from the seller for a pretty incredible price. Wish I got the 8 Deluxe though. He offered to save it for me until I could get to him. Really wished I had taken him up on that offer.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #1,253 of 3,655
I posted about this in the VC thread and thought it was worth sharing here as well. A band I have been digging for a while now called Weval just recently released a new album, and holy crap it sounds insane with my VC's and I imagine it will sound incredible with all ZMF's. This album is so well recorded and sounds so right with my VC's, it seems as if they used these headphones to master it with. :astonished: The entire album is insane and I suggest starting at track one and let it play.

Get ready for a wild ride! :grin:

JL3xrnh.png

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #1,254 of 3,655
Hi All, This is my current setup that I use with VO and now thinking of upgrading my amp (Singxer SA1). I'm still quite happy with my Cambridge Audio 851 network player as it has this smooth and analogue type of sound.

I was looking at the new Feliks Euforia Evo and was wondering if anyone has this amp or experienced it. The other option I was considering was Violectric V550
20211108_133812-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #1,255 of 3,655
Hi All, This is my current setup that I use with VO and now thinking of upgrading my amp (Singxer SA1). I'm still quite happy with my Cambridge Audio 851 network player as it has this smooth and analogue type of sound.

I was looking at the new Feliks Euforia Evo and was wondering if anyone has this amp or experienced it. The other option I was considering was Violectric V550
20211108_133812-01.jpeg
I can confirm that the v550 is an excellent match for all of my ZMFs, however I will always suggest a good tube amp for ZMF headphones, epecially the dynamic driver models. I personally have no experience with the Evo though.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #1,256 of 3,655

20211108_133812-01.jpeg

I tested the Euforia Evo at CanJam NYC couple of weeks ago with the Atrium Closed, and it was absolutely spectacular. I am very familiar with the VO and AC (have both) and very certain this would be the same. The EVO had a genuinely magical synergy with the ZMF driver, it was one of the best things I heard at the show.

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,257 of 3,655
I tested the Euforia Evo at CanJam NYC couple of weeks ago with the Atrium Closed, and it was absolutely spectacular. I am very familiar with the VO and AC (have both) and very certain this would be the same. The EVO had a genuinely magical synergy with the ZMF driver, it was one of the best things I heard at the show.

Considering you really liked it under show conditions says alot. I may keep Singxer for other headphones in my collection and add Evo as my go to amp:thinking:

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #1,258 of 3,655
Considering you really liked it under show conditions says alot. I may keep Singxer for other headphones in my collection and add Evo as my go to amp:thinking:
having an OTL tube amp along side a solid state one is a great setup

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,259 of 3,655
Hello,

The Euforia is not a bad amplifier, I own one myself but the older version, which was also upgraded by me last year with different capacitors.

But that's another story why I did it.

The only thing less good about the Euforia is the tube availability.
6sn7 are still available but the 6AS7G are becoming more and more expensive.
Even though there are still good possibilities to go to another router with adapters.

A good alternative that comes very close to the Euforia is the Cayin Ha 3A.
It would be cheaper to buy and also cheaper in terms of tube availability.
In terms of sound, it is very close to the Euforia.
It should also have a bit more bass than the Euforia.

It would be worth having a look at it.
Feliks really needs to do something to get the Euforia back where it belongs, in my opinion.
Because the tubes can get really expensive in places.
If you don't have any on the side.
It really is a great amp with a tear, you have to be ready for it.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #1,260 of 3,655
Hello,

The Euforia is not a bad amplifier, I own one myself but the older version, which was also upgraded by me last year with different capacitors.

But that's another story why I did it.

The only thing less good about the Euforia is the tube availability.
6sn7 are still available but the 6AS7G are becoming more and more expensive.
Even though there are still good possibilities to go to another router with adapters.

A good alternative that comes very close to the Euforia is the Cayin Ha 3A.
It would be cheaper to buy and also cheaper in terms of tube availability.
In terms of sound, it is very close to the Euforia.
It should also have a bit more bass than the Euforia.

It would be worth having a look at it.
Feliks really needs to do something to get the Euforia back where it belongs, in my opinion.
Because the tubes can get really expensive in places.
If you don't have any on the side.
It really is a great amp with a tear, you have to be ready for it.
Thanks for sharing your insight. Will keep in mind about tube rolling, costs and availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back