The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 9, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #1,231 of 3,655
I just got one a few weeks back and I have to say, the stock tubes sound nice. They’re clean, clear and balanced to my ears. But I couldn’t resist trying many others. My favorite so far are JAN GE 5670s with appropriate adapters. The treble is really sweet and you get a bit of a punch in the bass/mid-bass. Also enjoyed the BEL ECC88, which are the same as NOS Philips/Amperex white label PQ with gold pins - made in India in the 60s to the same specs as the Holland version. They sound sweet compared to the stock tubes I received (6N1P-EV by the Anod plant in Russia 1977). I switched the output tubes to an older version of the same 6N6P’s with the gold grids for older versions from the late 60s/early 70s with the more stable getter structure. I also tried some 7119’s in the output stage but they never sounded as good as the Russian ones to me.

Mar 9, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #1,232 of 3,655
I think Feliks Echo is good with stock tubes. I use the same type of tubes (6N6P) in my amplifier.
Just got an Echo 2 and I was impressed with the stock tubes. Russian NOS. Good output tubes that are basically the standard in most modern OTLs now. The preamp tubes are really nice and were designed to last 5000+ hours and vibration proof so they also aren’t microphonic. Feliks obviously put just as much work into sourcing these tubes as they did designing the amp.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,233 of 3,655
Yeah, I can agree that getting a tube amp and using the stock tubes to start is a good idea. It gives you a good baseline of how your amp sounds, but at some point tube rolling becomes almost a necessity. The tube roll that sounds fantastic with the VO, for example will sound awful for a Beyer T1.1, again for example. Even if you want to keep it within the confines of the ZMF ecosystem, what sounds good for the VC might not translate well to the Auteur.

Sticking with the stock tubes means sticking with a singular sound signature, and often times not a very good one at that, so might as well get a solid state amp if you're good with a single sound.

I did this at first, it gave me a taste of what tubes could do (it helped that the stock WA22 tubes weren't too bad...). After about a week, well...the NOS purchases started to get out of hand.

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #1,234 of 3,655
… so might as well get a solid state amp if you're good with a single sound.
Not sure I agree with this. While I do swap between warmer/bassier Siemens CCa and brighter/airier Brimar 2492 tubes in my Liquid Platinum, I’m perfectly satisfied w/ my Chatham 5998 & GEC L63 in my BHC. It is a single sound, but it’s pretty different compared to my SS amps, and so worth having for me.
I did this at first, it gave me a taste of what tubes could do (it helped that the stock WA22 tubes weren't too bad...). After about a week, well...the NOS purchases started to get out of hand.
I didn’t last a week w/ my LP. But I purchased my BHC used, and it came w/ several alternatives, plus I had the 6922 tubes from owning the LP. So it took almost a month for the itch to become unbearable :)

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,235 of 3,655
Just got the performance Feliks Envy and having some fun A/B/C with the DNA Stratus and Cayin HA-6A. The Envy is absolutely outstanding. That low end/rumble is just incredible.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #1,236 of 3,655
What about a Feliks Echo? Can get a used one for a fairly good price. But you have 4 tubes vs 2 on the crack.
The good news about the Echo is that the input tubes (6922-family) are what affects the sound the most. I rolled in a pair of great Amperex PQ 7308s and it was a different beast. You don’t really need to mess with the power tubes much in the Echo.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #1,237 of 3,655
Just got the performance Feliks Envy and having some fun A/B/C with the DNA Stratus and Cayin HA-6A. The Envy is absolutely outstanding. That low end/rumble is just incredible.

Heard the Envy again at CanJam couple of weeks ago and was reminded how spectacular it is. It also had the Tambaqui as a source, which combined to a serious terrific combination. That s a wonderful amp, truly. Enjoy!

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,238 of 3,655
Even if you want to keep it within the confines of the ZMF ecosystem, what sounds good for the VC might not translate well to the Auteur.
Maybe I’m missing out somehow, but with the tubes in my signature I like all three of my ZMFs a LOT. 😊

So I think it’s possible to have a mix of tubes that works pretty well across multiple headphones… but granted, I only have three pairs.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,239 of 3,655
The good news about the Echo is that the input tubes (6922-family) are what affects the sound the most. I rolled in a pair of great Amperex PQ 7308s and it was a different beast. You don’t really need to mess with the power tubes much in the Echo.
AGREED. If you can purchase Foton 6N6P pair, you are done with the power tubes ☑️. Those Amperex mentioned are excellent input tubes.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #1,240 of 3,655
Heard the Envy again at CanJam couple of weeks ago and was reminded how spectacular it is. It also had the Tambaqui as a source, which combined to a serious terrific combination. That s a wonderful amp, truly. Enjoy!
Man, I've beeb Tambaqui! I'll have to give it a listen sometime. I've got the KTE Holo May going right now and it's pretty much the best combo I've heard so far.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,241 of 3,655
Man, I've beeb Tambaqui! I'll have to give it a listen sometime. I've got the KTE Holo May going right now and it's pretty much the best combo I've heard so far.

I was the first time I've heard it and it sounded wonderful. But it was show condition, and I can't safely attribute which of what I've heard to the Envy vs. the Tambaqui, but together it was great. I'd love to one day do a proper A/B testing of this. Expensive though...🤔🤷‍♀️

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #1,242 of 3,655
Maybe I’m missing out somehow, but with the tubes in my signature I like all three of my ZMFs a LOT. 😊

So I think it’s possible to have a mix of tubes that works pretty well across multiple headphones… but granted, I only have three pairs.
When I had my GOTL my roll for the VO was a GEC U18/20 rectifier (4 volt version of the U52) a Tung Sol BGRP 6SN7, and a pair of RCA 6AS7G...ridiculous 3Dness.
For the VC I rolled the same GEC rectifier, 6x GE 6BX7s, and I forget what was in the driver seat. So even between Verites I preferred different rolls.

The Airmid only takes 4 tubes and no rectifier socket, so it has simplified things dramatically. I have pretty much all of the best (and most $) 6AS7G/6080/5998/421a, yet some sound good with certain headphones and some do not.

Tube rolling is a hobby within a hobby. I know one member, whose name will go unmentioned, who uses headphones to listen to his tube rolls. Dude has thousands of tubes and almost as many adapters. His amp looks like Einstein dropped acid and went nuts with it...adapters on top of adapters on top of adapters, and then finally some tubes on top of it all.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #1,243 of 3,655
Mar 10, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #1,244 of 3,655
Tube rolling is a hobby within a hobby.
Well said and 100% agree. To me, tube rolling is an inevitable part of the hobby. I have been a pure solid state guy for quite some time before curiously jumping onto the tubes bandwagon.

I would say tube amps/tubes open up another new dimension to music enjoyment. Not a must-have but a very nice-to-have esp for dynamic HPs like ZMFs. Of course, the same can be said of SS amps esp. for planar HPs like Caldera.

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,245 of 3,655
Woo Audio (and I'm sure other companies as well) give you the option of buying upgraded tubes along with their stock, so you get a light taste of rolling.

I must point out that many have mentioned pouring scotch but no one has mentioned sipping/drinking it. This is an important step that shouldn't be left out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back