The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 14, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #1,276 of 3,548
Wait, the multi-color amp was the JDS collab? I totally missed it at CanJam...cute little bugger.
i wouldn't fault you, its a big departure for what we know JDS for; sleek black chassis that don't stand out and call for attention. if you didn't tell me that was JDS, i wouldn't have known as well

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #1,277 of 3,548
i wouldn't fault you, its a big departure for what we know JDS for; sleek black chassis that don't stand out and call for attention. if you didn't tell me that was JDS, i wouldn't have known as well
In all fairness, Zach had mentioned somewhere that the case on the JDS prototype was NOT what the finished product will look like.

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #1,278 of 3,548
In all fairness, Zach had mentioned somewhere that the case on the JDS prototype was NOT what the finished product will look like.
yes, in the video i linked he does talk about how they want to ZMF-ify it (for a lack of a better word) with a nice wood front panel.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,279 of 3,548
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,280 of 3,548
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,281 of 3,548
Wow! That new DAC must really be special. GLWS!
Thanks Wes, yeah just looking to change things up. The TRP is a game over DAC, but the Merason does some things I prefer over the Lampi. I'm hoping to get my ears on a Cen Grand Deluxe as well before I choose

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,282 of 3,548
Mar 14, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #1,283 of 3,548
Hi All, slightly off topic. Do you reckon adding a dedicated DAC to the existing chain will have better results interms of SQ than upgrading an amp. I know alot of factors plays part in this but just getting a general consensus whether its a good option to consider. Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,284 of 3,548
Hi All, slightly off topic. Do you reckon adding a dedicated DAC to the existing chain will have better results interms of SQ than upgrading an amp.

That's a hard thing to quantify, it really depends on where you're coming from and what you're going to for either one. If you have a decent amp but a mediocre DAC, probably worth upgrading the DAC rather than getting a slightly better amp, for instance.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #1,285 of 3,548
Hi All, slightly off topic. Do you reckon adding a dedicated DAC to the existing chain will have better results interms of SQ than upgrading an amp. I know alot of factors plays part in this but just getting a general consensus whether its a good option to consider. Thanks
It would help to have some specifics here - what amp do you have now, and what are you considering as an upgrade?

That's a hard thing to quantify, it really depends on where you're coming from and what you're going to for either one. If you have a decent amp but a mediocre DAC, probably worth upgrading the DAC rather than getting a slightly better amp, for instance.
Agreed. I will add that I do belive that the higher up the ladder you go in audio, the less you want to use "Jack of All Trades" gear and work towards dedicated source gear. That's not to say that all amp/DAC combos are inherently bad, but I think if you're looking to improve your audio experience, you might want to consider separates. Of course, this is IMO and YMMV.

P.S., while I've never heard any of @L0rdGwyn's amps or DACs, he does know a thing or two about how they're made... :D

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #1,286 of 3,548
It would help to have some specifics here - what amp do you have now, and what are you considering as an upgrade?

Agreed. I will add that I do belive that the higher up the ladder you go in audio, the less you want to use "Jack of All Trades" gear and work towards dedicated source gear. That's not to say that all amp/DAC combos are inherently bad, but I think if you're looking to improve your audio experience, you might want to consider separates. Of course, this is IMO and YMMV.

P.S., while I've never heard any of @L0rdGwyn's amps or DACs, he does know a thing or two about how they're made... :D
Thanks so currently have Singxer SA1 paired with network streamer Cambridge Audio 851N. DACs I was considering LADDER Schumann R2R DAC or the GUSTARD R26. These are easily available to me.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,287 of 3,548

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230315_132139_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315_132139_Chrome.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #1,288 of 3,548
Thanks so currently have Singxer SA1 paired with network streamer Cambridge Audio 851N. DACs I was considering LADDER Schumann R2R DAC or the GUSTARD R26. These are easily available to me.
I've heard good things about both of those R2R DACs, but have no direct experience with either. As for the amp, at your price point, you're not getting top-shelf built-in DAC modules. IMO, I think you'd hear a pretty substantial improvement going to an external DAC, and again if you upgraded the AMP to something more "tubey". IMO, YMMV.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #1,289 of 3,548

Agreed.

And will add this practical consideration, in specific to Amps and Dacs - there are a few combo units out there, some higher end stuff that's built, and sounds, great. For anyone who values simplicity, or keepings things with minimal physical footrprint, some of these are a great option. But, typically, a company has a DNA and expertise. Companies that build amps are usually great at doing that, and companies that design DACs are usually great at doing that. Getting a terrific DAC wtih a build-in amp will likley have a very competent Amp, but not the best one; and a company that builds Amps and adds a DAC will likely have a good one added, but not the best one..

The only exception I personally like to make is getting a DAC with a built-in network card/bridge. I find less value in buying a separate network player and value the convenience if an integrated DAC/networ player when it comes to Roon Ready. But that's probably a specific point (and a specific preference).

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,290 of 3,548
Hello,
I have the Gustard R26 mkt the Feliks Euforia and I am mostly happy with how it is and with the Zmf Auteur OG it has been another very good jump up.

I had also considered the Ladder Schumann but the R26 offered more technical finesse.
Lan Streamer, good input possibilities and so on.

The Schumann is supposed to be a bit warmer than the R26 and the R26 a bit more neutral.
Nevertheless, the Gustard is worthwhile as a good entry into the R2R world - it does a lot right.
You can forget about the rest below it without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back