The Ugliest Headphones You Have Ever Seen.
Mar 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

tyoung8

500+ Head-Fier
There is 'the most beautiful headphones you know of' thread so I think it is only fair for there to be 'the ugliest headphones you have ever seen' thread.

To kick things off I'll give the three ugliest I have come across.  The all time classics of ugly headphones.

1.  Far and away the biggest eye sore, ugliest of the ugly, headphone I have seen are the Barney Grados.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524540/yay-i-finished-painting-my-grados-purple-talking-dinosaur-style

The clashing colours, the childish paint job and the sheer awfulness makes you want to gouge your eyes out after looking at it for a short while.  For some reason, I first saw this on the beautiful headphone thread.  Someone has a sense of humour there.

Not surprisingly it was put on sale after two months.  I hope whoever bought it quickly destroy the headphone for decency and good taste.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536843/barney-grados-yes-the-infamous-ones

2.  Jecklin Floats

I keep seeing this picture pop up all over head-fi for some reason.  The 80s shirt, the cheesy grin by this moustache guy who thinks he has the bestest thing in the whole world on his head.  I think his face is on somebody's profile(s).  Whoever it is stop it.  It ain't funny and just make a little sick come out of my mouth ever time I see him.

I mean.. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ON YOUR HEAD?!?  Is it a bridge?  Is it a helmet?  Neah, is the Jecklin Floats by the made by a Swiss company called Precide.  They also made another fancy looking pair of headphone called Ergo AMT which just look as ugly.

3.  K1000

What can I say?  Considered one of the best sounding headphone in the world but look soooo soooo ugly.  It is like someone attached two radio mics on their head that they had just found from the dustbin.

What could have passed off as a normal looking person actually instantly revealed himself to be a total nerd with the K1000 on his head... even without the 'portable' amp/dac in his hands.

Okay, people.  Any other ugly headphones you have seen?  Post below.  Pretty sure these three can't be beat.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 58
The ones from that first link aren't bad at all IMO

Also.. Check out the Skullcandy Aviators, definitely nice looking. Their cans are marketed toward younger people, you can expect garish designs..

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 58
I propose most of the ones in this 12 pages and 170 replies thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/380493/the-ugliest-headphones-ever/75

biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 58
...I like the Floats. They look cool. And supposedly even sound good. I'm still looking for a pair. I'll be sure to model them fore everyone. The Ergos admittedly look bad though.

Anyways,

Kenwood KH-71. Yep, all leather. The cups remind me of turtles.

Radio headphone.

TakeT H2, it's a pretty cool headphone actually. It's an air motion transformer headphone, and it got a good bit of attention a few years ago here.

No explanation needed.

Stax Sigma. As much as I lust for one, they aren't exactly attractive. At least the K1000 looks cool in some way. These just look funky.

Sennheiser Surrounder. Need I say more?

And the worst looking ones I can find:

Kill it. With fire.

If anyone can find the thread about the atrocious, provocative looking headphone thread from last year (or 2009?), they get a virtual cookie. It's the one that looked like a neck pillow and had exposed foam.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 58
I posted a similar thing in the other thread I think, but I disagree about almost every headphone posted here.  A headphone can't look ugly if it's not trying to be stylish.  That's like saying that work clothes are not good for going out in.  They are not made to go out in, they are work clothes.  Objects made with aesthetics designed around purpose can never be ugly, and they in fact are the products that set style trends.  Most styles are born out of something that originally had a purpose or was there for a reason.  So IMO, if you are wearing floats, if anything you are a trend setter. 

The ugly headphones IMO are the ones who's sole purpose is to try to look cool without regard to function.  Headphones like the Beats will always be hideous compared to the Floats. 

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 58
Do not bash the Floats. They are pure awesome.

Same with the K-1000. The K-1000 is audio in its purest form. Nothing that doesn't need to be there.

I dislike the Audio-Technica L3000 and the various Ultrasone Ed. models. Unnecessary bling and their sound doesn't live up to their hype.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 58
Ishcabible, some er... nice headphones there.  Many I haven't seen before either.  Some of them are just funky but the Sennheiser Surrounder... omg.  That is pure jokes.

How about this new one.  The Fanny 'Bacon Strip' Wang?

Not only is the name jokes but I think wearing one of these would make you look like placing a bacon strip across on your head lol

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 58
Quote:
Do not bash the Floats. They are pure awesome.

Same with the K-1000. The K-1000 is audio in its purest form. Nothing that doesn't need to be there.

I dislike the Audio-Technica L3000 and the various Ultrasone Ed. models. Unnecessary bling and their sound doesn't live up to their hype.

Yep, I deffo don't like the look of Ultrasone Edition 10 or the 8.

Ultrasone Edition 10                                                 Circular Wooden Jewellery Box

Ultrasone Edition 8                                              Wilkinson Plus Toilet Seat Chrome Effect

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 58

Quote:
Ishcabible, some er... nice headphones there.  Many I haven't seen before either.  Some of them are just funky but the Sennheiser Surrounder... omg.  That is pure jokes.

How about this new one.  The Fanny 'Bacon Strip' Wang?

Not only is the name jokes but I think wearing one of these would make you look like placing a bacon strip across on your head lol

I was going to post it, but considering I'm the resident Wangster here, that wouldn't be very nice of me. And they sound pretty decent. The red ones look better in person. And what kind of toilet seat do you have?!

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 58
Ah.  I think the Fanny Wang *might* go well for girls..  It looks too.. busy for a guy.  Like some women's handbag have that kinda texture/pattern.

I don't have chrome toilet seat if that is what you want to know lol.  Its mainly the shape that reminds me of a toilet seat.

Oh another one I don't like.  Sony 'Pine Cone' R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back