The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 16, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #811 of 4,701
I finally took the plunge and ordered some alluring chi-fi. :)

Picked up
SMSL Fort DAC/Amp-combo ($39.99)
Takstar Hi2050 headphones ($34.24)

All in all $74.23 from AliExpress, including shipping to Sweden. That's quite a steal if they live up to expectations!

Can't wait to hear this combo in action, and compare to my current un-amped Sennheiser HD595s.

May 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #812 of 4,701
Quote:

What settings did you use with your parametric equalizer for the 6.5 khz peak?  I'd like to give it a try to see if it makes a difference for me!

Follow this guide

http://www.head-fi.org/a/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

I've found peaks at 4.4 khz, and the most important one at 6.5 khz. While you're at it kill the 7-8khz peak that happens because of the headphone-ear interaction.. take them out one at a time and listen. You may find them at other frequency ranges, since no one has the same amplifier/equipment chain, but they're there. It's interesting to note that the headphones equalized in that guide are some stax... yes, even the end-game stuff has these little flaws.

Now that I have time I'll properly equalize them... I've learned to make a quick adjust with 0.1 bandwidth and -5 to -7 dB of gain at the center of the frequency peak... but it needs a lot more trial and error to do it right and not kill/miss other frequencies in the process. Once I have it propely done, I'll post the exact values. But even that crude approach made wonders. 

EDIT: after a better listen, it's more like a HUGE peak that goes from 5.5 khz to 7.5-8 khz and has its center at 7000-7100 hz. There's another one at 11 khz too.. damn, this won't be easy to get right. That's what I've read about the treble in this thread, that sometimes it's not right, it's because of these peaks.

EDIT2: That's more like it! Now voices don't sound nasal anymore... No more needles in my ears :D give it a try. I still can't believe what I've paid for these headphones.

7100 hz, -9 dB, 0.3
11000 hz, -7 dB, 0.2

This is for the Takstar HI-2050, I don't know how the pro80 and its other closed-back brothers are in terms of these peaks.

A testament to the quality of these headphones is how well they render the following file. You may have heard of it, the "virtual barbershop". I've never heard it so real and believable. U$S 50-70? Damn.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pk7ianjvxav575b

May 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #813 of 4,701
Follow this guide

I've found peaks at 4.4 khz, and the most important one at 6.5 khz. While you're at it kill the 7-8khz peak that happens because of the headphone-ear interaction.. take them out one at a time and listen. You may find them at other frequency ranges, since no one has the same amplifier/equipment chain, but they're there. It's interesting to note that the headphones equalized in that guide are some stax... yes, even the end-game stuff has these little flaws.

Now that I have time I'll properly equalize them... I've learned to make a quick adjust with 0.1 bandwidth and -5 to -7 dB of gain at the center of the frequency peak... but it needs a lot more trial and error to do it right and not kill/miss other frequencies in the process. Once I have it propely done, I'll post the exact values. But even that crude approach made wonders. 

EDIT: after a better listen, it's more like a HUGE peak that goes from 5.5 khz to 7.5-8 khz and has its center at 7000-7100 hz. There's another one at 11 khz too.. damn, this won't be easy to get right. That's what I've read about the treble in this thread, that sometimes it's not right, it's because of these peaks.

EDIT2: That's more like it! Now voices don't sound nasal anymore... No more needles in my ears :D give it a try. I still can't believe what I've paid for these headphones.

7100 hz, -9 dB, 0.3
11000 hz, -7 dB, 0.2

A testament to the quality of these headphones is how well they render the following file. You may have heard of it, the "virtual barbershop". I've never heard it so real and believable. U$S 50-70? Damn.

Wow, That's great info regarding the eq settings. I probably couldn't be bothered doing all that research myself. :)
Highly appreciated, keep the tweaks coming! Can't wait for my pair to arrive.

May 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #814 of 4,701
Quote:
Quote:

What settings did you use with your parametric equalizer for the 6.5 khz peak?  I'd like to give it a try to see if it makes a difference for me!

Follow this guide

7100 hz, -9 dB, 0.3
11000 hz, -7 dB, 0.2

This is for the Takstar HI-2050, I don't know how the pro80 and its other closed-back brothers are in terms of these peaks.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming please, I have not been able to figure out the EQ post instructions, not too technically inclined.  I do have the Takstar HI-2050, and the Pro 80, but I have just EQ's some on the low end, and like what I did there.  I will try your settings and listen for improvements.  But, I am using the pads from my DT880 on them, and I think the highs....and lows are better with those pads, plus my EQ settings as well.  I used the Golden Ears, FR Graph from the Pro 80's for both pair.  Plus I did a wire upgrade to dual entry using DHC Peptide, which ups the sound overall, expecially deeper tighter bass!

May 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #815 of 4,701
Wow, can't believe it but those Parametric EQ settings at 7100 and 11000 hz, really made my Patty Griffin album sound really nice, her new album "American Kid",  her voice can sound rather shrill, and those settings make it more listenable!

May 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #816 of 4,701
Good to hear! I'll try to look for and kill other peaks after I've given my ears some time to rest. Listening to pink noise and pure tones is quite tiring... Both these 7.1 khz and 11 khz peaks are quite nasty, with both gone it truly shows what these takstars are capable of! I have to recable mine.. I'll probably go dual entry, too.

If you'd like, you can try doing that guide for your other headphones and bring the best out of them. I imagine all your headphone list is in need of this treatment 
size]
 To put it in more understandable terms... you only have to use that sinegen program to listen for the peaks in a sine sweep, once your ears tell you where they are, you have to take note of the center of the peak (where it's the loudest), that's where I've come up with the 7100 and 11000 hz marks.  Once you have that data, you go to your parametric EQ and set the points at those marks, and start playing with the amplitude and gain... You do that while listening to a pink noise sample, the -9 dB and 0.3 come out of that, with these settings I found that the peak at 7100 hz was gone. Rinse and repeat... That's how you EQ your headphones... most of the time the treble is in need of some tweaking, and it does wonders.

Cute, how would you rate the 2050s after the EQ, in comparison with your HD600/580s? I've never heard the flagship senns (Only the PX100 and HD202, and I think the PX100 is another little wonder) and I'd like to know if we're near that kind of sound quality or if there's more to tweak...

May 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #817 of 4,701
Quote:
Good to hear! I'll try to look for and kill other peaks after I've given my ears some time to rest. Listening to pink noise and pure tones is quite tiring... Both these 7.1 khz and 11 khz peaks are quite nasty, with both gone it truly shows what these takstars are capable of! I have to recable mine.. I'll probably go dual entry, too.

If you'd like, you can try doing that guide for your other headphones and bring the best out of them. I imagine all your headphone list is in need of this treatment 
size]
 To put it in more understandable terms... you only have to use that sinegen program to listen for the peaks in a sine sweep, once your ears tell you where they are, you have to take note of the center of the peak (where it's the loudest), that's where I've come up with the 7100 and 11000 hz marks.  Once you have that data, you go to your parametric EQ and set the points at those marks, and start playing with the amplitude and gain... You do that while listening to a pink noise sample, the -9 dB and 0.3 come out of that, with these settings I found that the peak at 7100 hz was gone. Rinse and repeat... That's how you EQ your headphones... most of the time the treble is in need of some tweaking, and it does wonders.

Cute, how would you rate the 2050s after the EQ, in comparison with your HD600/580s? I've never heard the flagship senns (Only the PX100 and HD202, and I think the PX100 is another little wonder) and I'd like to know if we're near that kind of sound quality or if there's more to tweak...

Thanks for the explanation.....I am going to look at the EQ instructions a little closer.  Joe Bloggs, in the Somic MH463, did the same thing as you, his graph, like yours is posted in that thread....I copied his settings, and the MH463 improved quite a bit.  Just as these settings for the HI2050.  I need to do some work....I am using jRiver Media Center 18, and it has two different Parametric EQ settings, but I keep a MS Word file with screen shots of the settings, to use to toggle back and forth between HP's.  I don't have my DT880's listed in my sig, but the rest of my IEM's and HP's are listed.  I am using an Audio-GD NFB2 DAC, and a Ming Da tube amp with some wonderful NOS Mullard tubes, and I have the advantage of using DHC Peptide type 2 litz on all of my headphones.  The cables make a big difference, but a good DAC and Amp should be purchased first.  I have as much $ in wire/cables as in my HP's themselves.

The Sennheisers are very good, and I have several cables, DHCPeptide, DHC Peptide Hybrid, DHC Fusion, and Cardas cables, DHC Peptide on my budget phones and DT880's, and the budget phones give the Senn's and the Beyers a good run for the money.  The MH463 had clearer sound that the Senn's, and better separation and low end, as well as the 2050 and the Pro 80, nothing lacking against the Senn's at all.  I will be keeping them all long term though!  Actually I listen to the Senn's less that the budget phones, mostly to compare sound!

May 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #818 of 4,701
Received my amp and tested it and you are indeed right, it is a very noticeable improvement in sound. I then proceded to try your EQ settings and oh yes, it got even better. I am extremely happy right now, this sounds insanely good.

May 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #819 of 4,701
Good to hear, too!

There's another peak, in the lower treble, at about 2100 hz. It makes voices (and some instruments) sound "raw" and "grainy", for a lack of a better description. Killing it makes the sound more natural. I like it better that way. I advise you to listen and see how you prefer it, you may like it or not. I've also tweaked the other two peaks, made the EQs there wider so it covers more frequencies and kills a little more extra treble. It's almost perfect to my ears right now... Apply and tweak as you wish! Only for the HI-2050/open back models

2100 hz | -6 dB | 0.3
7100 hz | -9 dB | 0.3
11000 hz | -8 dB | 0.3

May 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #820 of 4,701
Quote:
Good to hear, too!

There's another peak, in the lower treble, at about 2100 hz. It makes voices (and some instruments) sound "raw" and "grainy", for a lack of a better description. Killing it makes the sound more natural. I like it better that way. I advise you to listen and see how you prefer it, you may like it or not. I've also tweaked the other two peaks, made the EQs there wider so it covers more frequencies and kills a little more extra treble. It's almost perfect to my ears right now... Apply and tweak as you wish! Only for the HI-2050/open back models

2100 hz | -6 dB | 0.3
7100 hz | -9 dB | 0.3
11000 hz | -8 dB | 0.3

I also have the HPT990/Pro 80, and these setting indeed make an improvement on them as well......same design as the 2050 only closed, but they both have the same drivers.  It is amazing how these sound with Parametric EQ done right!

May 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #822 of 4,701
I use jRiver Media Center 18, that has Parametric 1 and Parametric 2, so two different setting to be switched back and forth, works very good for me.  The 0.3 is a bandwidth setting that can be used to cover a wider range of adjacent frequencies!  I have a Sansa Fuze that I rockboxed that has a very good Parametric EQ, and Crossfeed!  Just like my jRiver MC!  I don't use the 11000hz setting, because I found that I lose the sparkle, I have several phones with a spike in the 9 - 11kz area, and when I try to EQ it out the high end sparkle goes away, ie my DT880 600 ohm!

May 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #823 of 4,701
Quote:
What does "03" mean ??
I get the Hz and dB..
If one is to use your settings, do I need a special EQulaizer ?? or can Itunes do it ??
I really do not like to use FooBar..

You need a parametric EQ in order to be able to properly EQ these headphones, or any headphone when you try to kill specific peaks.. See, your EQ probably has a 2 khz setting, or a 8 khz setting, which are perfectly fine for taking care of the 2100 hz and 7100 hz peak, but what you can't control with a normal EQ is the "width" of the equalization you're doing there, that's the "0.3" parameter, how "wide" you want the -6 dB at 2100 hz to be... to put it in other words, how much should that -6 dB adjustment affect the surrounding frequencies...

With a parametric EQ that's easy to do, with a normal one, it's not so simple. You can dial in the -6, -9 dB, etc settings at the nearest band, but it won't have the same effect as a "surgical" approach with a parametric EQ. What you're losing on with a normal eq is, for example: you don't like the sound of the 11 khz peak with a "width", "interval" (if you're familiar with calculus) of 0.3, yet you might like the effect of a 0.15, or 0.1 "interval" around the 11khz center point. That way you'd still be EQing that peak, but not all of it. That's a nice thing to have, impossible to do with a classic EQ.

As cute said, this is different for everyone's ears.. I've found these three main peaks that colour and make the sound less natural... The 7100 hz peak MUST be taken care of since it's the main offender here (try playing a sine sweep at normal listening volume, it'll become deafening at that point)... while the 11 khz and 2 khz peaks are left for you (or someone else) to decide if they're to be EQ'd or not. I like the treble to be tamed (but present), so I kill all three peaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back