The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #3,481 of 4,701
  Most of the times they sound artificial and too sharp/thin and become shouty at times.

Try EQing:

-1dB or -2dB around 2kHz
-3dB around 5kHz

What sort of EQ are you using?

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3,483 of 4,701
  It's probably that damn 1k!  lol.  Even a -1db on it helps keep it from drilling into my brain.

Haha! Well, recordings have a lot to do.

Very few people talk about recordings around here.
There are warm recordings, cold recordings, shouty recordings, sibilant recordings, boomy recordings, veiled recordings and so on...

It's not possible to find the perfect headphone for all of them.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #3,484 of 4,701
Listening to some Beethoven stuff with Pro 80 with HM5 velour pads with Fiio X1 

24538-Relaxing-Lion.jpg

Sweet 
dt880smile.png

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #3,486 of 4,701
  i might pick up some hm5 velours because i live in a hot enviroment with bad humidity and the hm5 pleather pads literally are covered with sweat when i take them off my head. 

Maybe you should better try the hybrid HM5 pads. Going with complete velour pads will improve comfort but cause affliction on the bass. The treble will get more dominant and the sound may become fatiguing.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,487 of 4,701
Listening to the Pro 80s with my xDuoo X2 right now. Been meaning to pair these 2 together for a proper listening session for a while.
I'm getting a very good result. It drives them to their full potential. Doesn't bloat the bass, very detailed, treble is spot on and most importantly the imaging and separation is in all it's Pro 80 glory. Very nice pairing here. Better than any other DAPs I've tried with it.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #3,489 of 4,701
Maybe you should better try the hybrid HM5 pads. Going with complete velour pads will improve comfort but cause affliction on the bass. The treble will get more dominant and the sound may become fatiguing.
I completely agree...I'm gonna lodge a complaint against missing bass from pro80 :frowning2:(

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #3,490 of 4,701

You're better off EQing down not up. EQing up creates distortion and clipping. You can create the same curve but in the negative end and having your highest peaks at 0 or at most at +6.

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,491 of 4,701

You're better off EQing down not up. EQing up creates distortion and clipping. You can create the same curve but in the negative end and having your highest peaks at 0 or at most at +6.

+1

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #3,493 of 4,701

I would try which one of these you like better, and then use it that way for at least two weeks.
Best chances are your mind will get used to the more natural sound signature and you'll end up enjoying higher fidelity at the end of the day (well 14 days)

The Takstar Pro 80 has boosted bass per se! The interesting thing is that I remember myself using pretty much the same EQ as you years ago when a trusty AKG K44 was my only headphone.
Bass and treble boost is nice for the sake of Wow Factor, but most important aspects of music take place all across the midrange.

Let you mind enough time to get used to a more neutral sound signature and you are in for a treat.

Our hearing is really comparative with a signature that we have as a reference (what we are used to). If we are used to a wildly v-shaped signature, every neutralish high fidelity system will sound lifeless, boring, or cold.

Once our reference is close to a neutralish system (ie, once our hearing/mind is comfortable with the neutral signature), we are able to hear more details across the whole spectrum, we can focus on tonality, feel the acoustics of the room or hall where the recording took place,etc.
We can also easily distinguish warm and cold recordings, bright and dark recordings, and in my view the feelings behind the music are transmited more efficiently.

Best Luck!

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,494 of 4,701
i plugged my 80's into a relatives new laptop earlier today wow did the 80's sound different the bass wasnt there or anything then when i plugged them back into my pc the bass was back and everything sounded nice...im guessing my motherboard has a pretty good onboard chip (alteast compared to the laptop) it's the VIA VT1818 chip.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #3,495 of 4,701
I would try which one of these you like better, and then use it that way for at least two weeks.
Best chances are your mind will get used to the more natural sound signature and you'll end up enjoying higher fidelity at the end of the day (well 14 days)

The Takstar Pro 80 has boosted bass per se! The interesting thing is that I remember myself using pretty much the same EQ as you years ago when a trusty AKG K44 was my only headphone.
Bass and treble boost is nice for the sake of Wow Factor, but most important aspects of music take place all across the midrange.

Let you mind enough time to get used to a more neutral sound signature and you are in for a treat.

Our hearing is really comparative with a signature that we have as a reference (what we are used to). If we are used to a wildly v-shaped signature, every neutralish high fidelity system will sound lifeless, boring, or cold.

Once our reference is close to a neutralish system (ie, once our hearing/mind is comfortable with the neutral signature), we are able to hear more details across the whole spectrum, we can focus on tonality, feel the acoustics of the room or hall where the recording took place,etc.
We can also easily distinguish warm and cold recordings, bright and dark recordings, and in my view the feelings behind the music are transmited more efficiently.

Best Luck!
I'm used to listen to neutral sound signature with all my past iems. I started with Soundmagic pl21 which was completely flat in fact there was no bass at all but I loved it. It was the only iem I was using for more than 1 year. Then I bought Soundmagic e30, another neutral iem where the bass is relatively more than pl21. And I was thinking that there cannot be better sounding iem out there. Then I came across re262(neutral sounding again). I loved it,the vocals were unrealistically good and details, soundstage was fantastic. I kinda liked soft slow bass on them.but then I bought ksc75 and baldoor e100. Both showed me what was missing in my earlier gear THE Bass. From then onwards I cannot listen to any headphones that has less bass or completely flat signature. I not basshead by any means but I prefer to listen to music the way it should supposed to sound.
The screenshot I shared earlier was not generally how I tweak equalizer. But Pro80 hm5 Velour don't give me that fuller sound I crave for. So had to boost the lows. Also X3ii has slightly forwarded mids so I'm trying to tone down the mids and keeping the highs moderately flat.
I'm using Fiio E6 along with my setup. And they work absolutely fantastic with this combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back