The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #3,466 of 4,701
  For those whom it may concern now that you are talking about amps, my Pro 80 sounded worse out of my Fiio E07k than my onboard Realtek sound card. Fiio in general is known to have warm amps/DACs, but I'm not sure if this is the same for the E10, but the E07k was way too warm, making the headphone sound bloated and murky.

The E07k has the strange quality of lowering the bass the more Gain you add, but I generally don't like doing this since I think you can damage your headphone with higher gain? I'm not sure.

The E07k isn't the most refined unit in the world. The FiiO range gets better, though.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #3,468 of 4,701
I've not heard the E10k before. I've heard the E6, E11, E11k, E12, E07, E07k, E17 (i own it), E18, X1, X3 & X5.

Amps: E11k and above is good. Original E11 is a little bit of a flop, though it has a cult following.
DACs: E17 and above. Personally I prefer the E17 over the E18; better features and more refined sound.
DAPs: X1 is alright but not great. X3 and above are excellent value and sound quality.

Ofcourse, that's only FiiO products. There are many more out there.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #3,469 of 4,701
  So i don't really get it - is E10K good choice  for using with PC (X-Fi Xtreme Gamer) - E10K - Pro 80?
Or there's better offer on market in 100$ range?

It's a great choice, $75 now on amazon. E11K is also a great choice based on reviews, and it's currently $60 on amazon :O. I don't think you should spend more on amp/dac for the Pro80.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3,471 of 4,701
DIY stand, done in 20 minutes!
CNC plasma cutting, tig welding. Stainless steel! 
cool.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,475 of 4,701
  Can you give some hint as to what EQ you used with the Exibel MHX10?

http://gyazo.com/20de2a7461845c29bf976fd35a3b5f6a

It's tuned by ear and not ment to be neutral. Those are quite drastic changes but work for my ear. Maybe I'll try going neutral sometime with a proper equalizer. Those setting are propably not what you are after but maybe those could work as a starting point depenging on your preferences, gear and music taste :)

About amping Pro80¨s(and hi2050). If people have problem with dark sound xiangsheng dac-01a is a good option. I've used it alot with takstars. For me it is a bit bright sounding unit but if neutral ones sound too dark...go for it. Great amp/dac/tube preamp for $140. If you decide to upgrade later on dac-01 doesn't become obsolete easily. It can drive hd600, dt880(600ohm), T1 etc... Maverick version is better known in head fi. http://www.head-fi.org/products/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #3,477 of 4,701
  http://gyazo.com/20de2a7461845c29bf976fd35a3b5f6a

It's tuned by ear and not ment to be neutral. Those are quite drastic changes but work for my ear. Maybe I'll try going neutral sometime with a proper equalizer. Those setting are propably not what you are after but maybe those could work as a starting point depenging on your preferences, gear and music taste :)

About amping Pro80¨s(and hi2050). If people have problem with dark sound xiangsheng dac-01a is a good option. I've used it alot with takstars. For me it is a bit bright sounding unit but if neutral ones sound too dark...go for it. Great amp/dac/tube preamp for $140. If you decide to upgrade later on dac-01 doesn't become obsolete easily. It can drive hd600, dt880(600ohm), T1 etc... Maverick version is better known in head fi. http://www.head-fi.org/products/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1

That's actually fairly close, at least at the low end, to these settings I have been playing with: 
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/garyjc_photos/exibel-MHX10-correction.png
I thought they needed a bit more 'sparkle' at the top end.

However, I switched the velour pads (replacements I got from Amazon, linked somewhere back in time on this thread) on my Pro80s for the pleather ones from my Lindy HM5 clones and the bass is just so much better (as you would expect). I took the original plastic Pro80 pads off very soon after buying them because my ears were getting so sweaty. The Lindy's now have the velour pads and they sound very thin compared to the pleather equipped Pro80s.

However my first impression of the Exibels has changed a bit now that the Pro80s with HM5 pads have much better bass, mid and upper range clarity and soundstage. Main problem though is that the Exibels are not really very comfortable after half an hour or so of listening. The comparison has all been done directly from an iPod gen 4 with no amp.

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,478 of 4,701
I'm absolutely in love with my combo of Pro80+HM5 Velour+Fiio X3ii+Fiio E6. It's undoubtedly my best sounding combo. I think HM5 pleather dont need bass boost of E6 bur velour pads definitely need bass boost or they sound very thin. Only one thing I hate at times about Pro80 is the vocals. Most of the times they sound artificial and too sharp/thin and become shouty at times. I just wish Pro80 had more mid bass and natural sounding mids.
Does anyone here know such headphones(budget headphones)??

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #3,479 of 4,701
  I'm absolutely in love with my combo of Pro80+HM5 Velour+Fiio X3ii+Fiio E6. It's undoubtedly my best sounding combo. I think HM5 pleather dont need bass boost of E6 bur velour pads definitely need bass boost or they sound very thin. Only one thing I hate at times about Pro80 is the vocals. Most of the times they sound artificial and too sharp/thin and become shouty at times. I just wish Pro80 had more mid bass and natural sounding mids.
Does anyone here know such headphones(budget headphones)??

Why not just EQ the mid bass?

From what I remember the mids and highs don't EQ well, but I never found them shouty, they were very linear albeit dry. Imo you would lose a lot of transparency boosting the mid-bass, especially with the already boosted sub-bass. Also the pro 80 clones are the best value for the money budget headphone on the market imo. You can try the JVC s500, though I've never heard it personally.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,480 of 4,701
  Why not just EQ the mid bass?

From what I remember the mids and highs don't EQ well, but I never found them shouty, they were very linear albeit dry. Imo you would lose a lot of transparency boosting the mid-bass, especially with the already boosted sub-bass. Also the pro 80 clones are the best value for the money budget headphone on the market imo. You can try the JVC s500, though I've never heard it personally.

Mids feel electronic or robotic when I'm trying to boost a little treble region. I love the vocals on my earbud (Mrice/Baldoor E100) They sound very true to life. Although its not fair to compare sound of an earbud with headphone but I cannot help myself to go back to Baldoor E100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back