Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1

Pros: source selection, swappable opamps, upgradeable tube

I'll make this a short review and just make several points.

- Excellent unit for beginners. You can use it so many ways, it's really an all-in-one.

- Build quality is great, I haven't heard of any dead units. Some minor problems here and there but they are quickly resolved.

- Superb support from the company. Fast and helpful emails.

- Upgrade and resale potential. You can use this as a DAC and amp and down the road get a nice tube amp hooked up to the tube pre-amp outputs on this device. Swapping the tube and opamps also upgrades the unit. I think resale value should be good due to the flexibility of the unit.

- I'm not disappointed with the sound quality of the unit but I only have a $60 portable cmoy amp and a computer sound card to compare it to.

Bottom line is it's an excellent product for the money backed by some of the best customer support I've seen from a company.

Pros: excellent base for upgrading Excellent service from Ryan !

Cons: none, not sure the Line In is that useful

I bought this DAC-preamp and after several attempts made the following changes to it for an amazing result:

Installed 5670 Raytheon Windmill getter tube

upgraded diodes to Schottky Diode 11DQ10

Changed the output coupling caps to Sanyo Oscon 47uF

opamp for tube to LT1364 or metal version of LM4562.

The biggest gain came from opamp then the diodes.  Do not underestimate the diode upgrade.

I own a lot of HIFI equipment and have tested this modded version with STUDER A68 Amps and Infinity 9A speakers. The result is outstanding and the sound is precise and like liquid ! plenty of bass and despite the higher value of coupling caps, no loss of highs.

There are better DACs on the market like the new DAC-01 with SMD components but the opamps can not be changed as easily as well as the diodes which are SMD. I think the DAC stage of the tube magic might not be the best but with the above mods, the overal result is AMAZING. The D1 has now become a very high class preamp that I use with my modded Behringer scr2496 and the DAC stage holds its own without of course competing with the modded Behringer. The only drawback of this combination is that the output of the Behringer is very high and one tends to have a very loud sound right at the begining of the volume potentiometer.

HAVE FUN !

--------------------------------------

Last mods:

- Changed the main opamp to Burson discrete opamp. Quality is above any IC and by far. The only shortcoming seems to come from voltage either from the resistors lowering too much the voltage supplied to the DIP8 socket or maybe a shortcoming of the powersupply (I am not advanced enough in the field to correct this). However I have found one way around it, noticed that by taking away the opamp for headphone section the clipping I could hear when volume was past 12oclock have reduced, therefore I managed to solder the most recent audio IC from TI OPA2209 onto a dip socket (had no SOIC adapter at hand!) and now the clipping is only at 2 oclock (way above my listening needs) and headphone quality is better than with the canned version of LM4562 or OPA627.

- Changed to the OSCON 47uF coupling caps for Roederstein 47uF gold Caps. The bass is endless and trebles are not cut off, barely mellowed. Do not have enough space to put a similar MPK inside :)

Now the Maverick is connected to my PC with TOSLINK cable (24/96 upsampling) and I use ADAM A7X Studio monitors. The sound is truely near perfection, it is as good, sometimes I even better than my main system with Infinity 9A speakers and STUDER A68 power amps.   For a total cost of about 1600 USD, this is the highest quality I can imagine to achieve in a sound system within a reasonable budget but by putting the money where is should be, even 96kb/s MP3 sound quite good when going through this setup.

Pros: Tons of inputs, easy source selection

Cons: Some interference between sources

All the other reviews sum up my feelings about this. It's a great all-in-one component. I have my PS3, computer, stereo, and portable devices all feeding audio to the TubeMagic D1. It handles them with ease and doesn't get uncomfortably hot like other amps I've used.

Only flaw I've noticed is that my computer generates a slight signal noise that carries through the SPDIF connection. It's unnoticeable when the volume is set to comfortable levels for the computer, but if I leave the computer on, switch the source to my PS3/portable device, I have to turn the volume up, and the signal noise becomes noticeable until I turn the computer off or disconnect the SPDIF cable. This could be solved by eliminating the signal noise from the computer, but it's odd to me that the noise isn't "turned off" when using a separate source.

edit: The signal noise was from a ground-loop, and I fixed it by using a CyberPower UPS that provided cleaner power.

Pros: Great connection options, flexible modding options, good sound

Cons: Slightly lacking detail in HF

After following the discussion on this forum for a few weeks I decided to go for the D1. I've input from many of you to be very helpful. Thanks for that!

I was looking for an amp/dac that could for the time being replace my TC-electronic Konnekt D24. I haven't read much about this device around here. For me it has been a reliable and high quality work horse in my private project studio. But since I wanted to start streaming audio to my main system in the living room, I've abused this DAC/amp for that.... I have a Philips NP2900 with the digital output connected to the DAC. The last few months I am using the Konnekt more and more in my studio/rehearsal room. And decided to move it back there.

I believe that audio streaming on a real High-End level is only just starting to develop (I've heard the Naim Uniti in my system and wasn't impressed. So I want to wait some time until this technology gets more mature. And work with something on a significant lower budget in the mean while.

My specs: I wanted a simple black box with a volume control, a straightforward input selector, analog AND digital input and preferably a good headphone output to drive my AKG K271, Shure E3c and a few lesser headphone specimens lying around in my house. Oh yes, it would be great if it could drive my DUSON A10 poweramp and my STAX SRM-1 to

Well, the D1 is 'just what the doctor prescribed' in terms of inputs/outputs/selection/volume control. But does it deliver the sound quality?

My music taste ranges from a broad spectrum of classical music (Bach to Strawinsky), Blues, Jazz, Rock and once in a while some straightforward pop music. Some albums I've always used for listening sessions are:

- Jenifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat

- Sara K. - Hobo

- Haitink/Ashkenazy - Brahms 2nd pianoconcerto on DECCA

- Herreweghe - Bach Matthaus Passion on Harmonia Mundi

- Roger Waters - Amused to Death

- Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder

- (?) - Jazz at the Pawnshop

- Van Morrison - It's to late to stop now (live)

(yes I know, Im getting old)

I've mainly based this review on listening trough the following setup:

NP2900(digital out) > D1 > DUSON A10 > Epos M22i

My initial impressions (out of the box):

A pleasant sounding dac-preamp that delivered smooth highs, fluid mids and reasonably good bass extention. But I found it to seriously lack depth and detail. The tube output gave a slightly more 'open' sound, but not really more detail in mid and high. The bass on the tube output was less focussed and tight.

After a few days the mids improved a bit, they became more open an detailed. The bass seemed slightly more tight (best noticeable on the Roger Waters CD). On the tube output the difference was bigger and more apparent. There was a clear extention of the bass response and the midrange opened-up seriously. A much deeper and wider soundfield. But still I found details (in particular on the classical CD's) lacking. The good news was that I didn't find any clear flaw either (no boomy bass, no nasal mids, no shreeking HF).

Compared to the Konnekt D24 It was an easy choice: the Konnekt is much better in terms of HF detail, soundstage and bass extention.

After lots of reading on this forum I had become quite interested in experimenting with OpAmp rolling..... I had two options available for the line-out: OPA627 and OPA249. BTW I did the gain reduction mod imedeatly after I had played the first songs. I couldn't do more than 2-3 clicks and had some L-R balance problems in that range of the potmeter.

After having played around with both OpAmps for at least a week I've come to the following conclusions compared to the original LF:

OPA627: more open midrange, better soundstage and 'smooth' overall character

OPA249: better bass extention and control, much better soundstage and more detailed mids and highs. More forward overall character without sounding harsh (great positioning of Jenifer Warnes and Sara K. 's voices).

The difference in both cases was way more significant than the difference that burning-in made.

The D1 did not have any problem driving my AKG and Shure head/ear-phones. Plenty of power available. The Stax was an entirely different story. I found out that I have been spoiled by the Wadia 860 that I use to own (I sold it 2 years ago to finance some pro-audio stuff for my studio....) The Stax is the most revealing piece of equipment in my house at this moment. And I found the combination with the D1 in its original shape uninspiring. After the upgrade with the OPA249 it became more acceptable. But I decided to move the Stax to my studio and wait until I've found a real high-end solution for audio streaming to my main system.

Still, compared to the Konnekt I'm not entirely convinced. The midrange of the D1 is more fluid and open. The highs on the Konnekt are more detailed, without getting harsh. On the other hand, the D1 provides me with a much better usability for my system in the living room. So, for the time being, I'm a happy user of this DAC/Amp!

Albert Jochems

Pros: Affordable , Upgradable, makes all digital sources sound cleaner bigger and better.

Cons: None , as a first unit it destroys onboard soundcard in my mac, pc and ipod

Could not be happier with the D1 .(Bought with Opa 627 upgrade and the ge5670w tube.)$264 delivered.

It has done as advertised and upgraded my digital music and movie collection in leaps and bounds.

As this is my first unit i can not make any comparisons.

My beyer Dt770 pro 250s now sound so much fatter that they have a dac/amp driving them.

Using Media monkey  on pc laptop playing 44.1 mp3's via usb into the D1 with the beyers and everything from Reggae to blues , Hardcore metal/punk to dubstep just sounds awesome,

huge improvement on standard soundcards highly recomended!

Using the tube preamp through my old logitech 5.1 speakers adds warmth and depth and a truckload more volume, turning the volume up full on D1, and to about 80% vol on the logitech with no distortion!!! just a big fat sound that annoys my neighbours and gets the wife all sexy and fired up , lol.

Plugged into the ol yamaha Htr 5630 av receiver and similar outcome to the logitechs ,

movies are sounding awesome straight from the pc using hdmi into the tv all while the D1 is still connected via usb then tube pre amp out into the Yamaha.

All in all this is a truly versatile unit that has totally impressed my wife and friends.

It is so awesome for the money and has made all my old speakers and new cans sound like i don't need to fork out for upgrades for a long while !!!

Although more cans will be coming soon i think! mmmm sweet sweet cans.atsmile.gif

It is a great start and has inspired me to explore the Audiophile world .

I now have a new found love for my music collection,

thanks to everyone for their great reviews, especially spanky .

Do not have any regrets buying the D1 , it does it all , without eating a hole in the pockets!dt880smile.png

Pros: Build quality and lots of input options

Cons: USB input does not support 24-bit/96Khz

I've only had this for a short time but I love it so far.  The xfi soundcard on my computer didn't have enough juice to power my HD650s so I got this to use as an amp and DAC.  I'm using the optical out from my soundcard instead of USB because the USB on this DAC does not support 24-bit/96Khz (it is resampled in the DAC).  This wouldn't be an issue except that I would like to hook my xbox 360 up using the optical connection, now I have to use RCA.  The tube didn't change the "warmth" of the sound as much as I expected or would have liked, but probably for the better.  This has been a great purchase and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good all-in-one solution for a reasonable price.

Pros: Natural sound from digital source

Cons: At this price, none

I got the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier w/ Raytheon 6AK5 tube. It was magic right out of the box. Surprisingly good bass, clean midrange and treble, great soundstage. Incredible value, incredible service, incredible sound. Used as a companion with the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC w/ GE 5670 Tube, lossless music from a 13" white MacBook into Klipsch KB20 loudspeakers or AKG 701 headphones. Very highly recommended.

Pros: Extremely Value for Money

Cons: Not the best that money can buy (who cares)

This small little desktop dac+headamp+source switcher is one of the single most useful and value for money items out there.

It is a huge leap forward in sound quality for people who currently uses onboard pc sound or low-end cd/dvd/blu-ray players as well as a convenient one stop portal to connect every sources you have to a single output point (acting like an audio receiver).

Couldn't have more complain with this beautiful looking unit.

Only thing I hope for is a possible DAC chip upgrade option for potential audiophile looking for a small and beautiful desktop dac/headamp and are willing to pay a little more.

Clearly, this DAC pale in comparison to the big brother of DA11, Benchmark DAC as well as PS Audio which could cost up to 10 times Maverick D1's price.

But for an entry price of USD199, you get a decent sounding DAC that rivals that of Zero/Citypulse/Cambridge DACMagic.

Reason for me giving only 4 stars to SQ is because this is not the best that money can buy.

Couldn't be more satisfied with this purchase.

Pros: Multi Function

Cons: Headphone always on , i must unplug when not use

this is my 1st DAC  ( for me like First love never die   )

is open my ear , how enjoy sound quality

i like the multi function

price is cheap , perfomance is good

overall i very happy to have it

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1

Maverick Tube Magic DAC lets you “upgrade” the audio listening experience for any type of setup. Whether you currently have a computer, game console, CD player or Squeezebox, simply plug the Tube Magic D1 in to enjoy superior high end sound quality. Upsampling your digital music From 16bit to 24bit, from 44.1 kHz to 96 kHz, Tube Magic D1’s professional-level Audio DAC produces an extremely accurate and distortion-free digital-to-analog conversion. Your digital music files have never sounded this good before. Carefully designed analog processing circuit Without a good analog stage, even the best quality digital music will sound dry and lifeless. After all, music will only be played in analog format via amplifiers, speakers and headphones. We spent a great deal of time to enhance the analog circuit to make sure the analog signal will sound natural, transparent and full detail. “Tube Magic” vacuum tube preamp outputs stage The Tube Magic D1 comes with a vacuum tube pre-amp output stage in addition to the normal solid-state audio output. Powered by a vintage vacuum tube made in 1970’s, it adds a lot of warmth and smoothness to the music, especially to Vocal and Jazz genres. Furthermore, you can use this DAC as a full functional tube preamp, adding the “tube magic” to the two analog and three digital inputs. A damn good Headphone Amplifier! With up to 600 ohm impedance and 1000mW power output, this DAC has enough power to drive any headphone on the planet. Line-in cord lets you plug in your iPod Do you want to listen to your iPod with brilliant clarity? Simple. The Tube Magic DAC comes complete with a cord and front panel line-in jack for your iPod or other MP3 player. Just plug it in and you’re ready to rock. High-end linear power supply R-Core transformer is a super-regulated power circuit that purifies and enriches the digital-to-analog conversion bringing extremely pure, natural and detailed music output. Uncompromised build quality 100% handmade with audio grade components topped off with a brushed aluminum front panel. We make sure this baby is a serious audio equipment. It’s flexible and easy to set-up Two digital sources (optical and coaxial) means that network music devices, media players, games consoles, CD/DVD players etc. can be connected concurrently using S/PDIF (Coaxial) or Toslink (Optical) inputs. Two analog sources (one line-in on the front panel and one analog in on the back) means that iPods, portable music players, vintage audio equipment, or any audio device without digital outputs can be connected concurrently using the 1/4″ or RCA input. Additionally, you can connect the Tube Magic DAC directly to your PC using a USB connection (no drivers needed) and dramatically improve the quality of your digital music.

TubeMagic D1(Current)