The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 6, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #3,169 of 4,701
Yea....whole new level of comfort. They also add more isolation I believe. Great idea to use such versatile cups except they are bigger.

The cups tend to veer outwards a bit as if they aren't REALLY meant to fit but they do once you get them in place nicely.

I read they also fit the HD 280 pro headphones but I'm not going to try and take them off and put them on inferior cans.

May 6, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #3,170 of 4,701
  Sorry for the late reply. I get far more detail and a wider soundstage from these headphones, even using onboard sound, than I did off any of my previous headphones while using my Asus DG soundcard.
At some point I'm going to reinstall my Asus DG soundcard and see if that takes the sound quality to a higher level. I haven't done so yet because since I'm happy with the sound now it hasn't seemed worth the bother.

Hi and thanks a lot again.
I have a very fresh experience of last night.  With the HI2050.
Watching a movie on Netflix and driving it with a small headamp from SMSL, with the TI 6120 chip inside ... and a Muse Audio usb dac.
Well ... i am really surprised.   The detail is really scaring.
I have one main complaint.  The quality of the cable.
I would like to cut it short and buy/make an extension cable of very good quality.
I am sure that could help a lot.
And also the comfort is impaired because the earcups cannot tilt vertically at least (that would be a very nice thing indeed).

But i had the impression of high transparency.
Some little harshness on the highs could very well be to the amp that is brand new with few hours of use. Or even the usb dac also very new.
I am sincerely wondering how good very cheap HPs can be.
After all if i remember well the driver inside the beautiful Grado is quite cheap.  And the plastic housing also.
Not that an aluminum cilinder is that expensive as well ...

However ...  in the meantime i have also bought the closed version that should arrive soon.
But this thing is something special ...
i need a little more time but the initial impression is very very positive

Any mod on this thing available ?
Thanks and regards,  gino

May 6, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #3,171 of 4,701
Hi and thanks a lot again.
I have a very fresh experience of last night.  With the HI2050.
Watching a movie on Netflix and driving it with a small headamp from SMSL, with the TI 6120 chip inside ... and a Muse Audio usb dac.
Well ... i am really surprised.   The detail is really scaring.
I have one main complaint.  The quality of the cable.
I would like to cut it short and buy/make an extension cable of very good quality.
I am sure that could help a lot.
And also the comfort is impaired because the earcups cannot tilt vertically at least (that would be a very nice thing indeed).

But i had the impression of high transparency.
Some little harshness on the highs could very well be to the amp that is brand new with few hours of use. Or even the usb dac also very new.
I am sincerely wondering how good very cheap HPs can be.
After all if i remember well the driver inside the beautiful Grado is quite cheap.  And the plastic housing also.
Not that an aluminum cilinder is that expensive as well ...

However ...  in the meantime i have also bought the closed version that should arrive soon.
But this thing is something special ...
i need a little more time but the initial impression is very very positive

Any mod on this thing available ?
Thanks and regards,  gino

HM5 pads and check the link in my signature.

May 6, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #3,172 of 4,701
HM5 pads and check the link in my signature.

HI !  thanks a lot for the very interesting link indeed !
i have stuff to study the next weekend indeed !

Some points:

1)   i am waiting for the Gemini model similar to the Takstar pro80 to arrive.  I sincerely hope they are equal.  Also they look very similar to the HI2050 i am using, at least mods wise.  So i assume the mod is doable on both ?
2)   on my HI2050 i have removed the felts above the drivers.  Surely the sound is more crispy but i do not know if less balanced.
3)   what is HM5 ???   could you tell me the brand also ?
4)   have you experience only of the Takstar pro80 or have you used other ?   anyone other worth to be bought ?

Thanks a lot indeed again
Regards,  gino

May 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3,173 of 4,701

HI !  thanks a lot for the very interesting link indeed !
i have stuff to study the next weekend indeed !

Some points:

1)   i am waiting for the Gemini similar to the Takstar to arrive.  They look very similar to the HI2050 i am using, at least mods wise.  So i assume the mod is for both ?
2)   on my HI2050 i have removed the felts above the drivers.  Surely the sound is more crispy but i do not know if less balanced.
3)   what is HM5 ???   could you tell me the brand also ?
4)   have you experience only of the Takstar pro80 or have you used other ?   anyone other worth to be bought ?

Thanks a lot indeed again
Regards,  gino

1) Yes, the mod applies to both.
2) With the Pro 80, I have noticed a more balance sound signature and less boomy bass. 
3) http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1-pair
4) I've not heard the Hi2050 so cannot comment. The consensus in this page is that the majority who has tried both liked the Pro 80s more. But there were people who prefered the Hi2050.

May 6, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #3,174 of 4,701

1) Yes, the mod applies to both.
2) With the Pro 80, I have noticed a more balance sound signature and less boomy bass.
3) http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1-pair
4) I've not heard the Hi2050 so cannot comment. The consensus in this page is that the majority who has tried both liked the Pro 80s more. But there were people who prefered the Hi2050.

Hi and thanks sincerely again.  Very kind of you.
I was listening yesterday evening to an all new chain ... usb dac (cheap from Muse Audio) > amp from SMSL - TI 6120 based > Hi2050 (these are not new but left unused for many months)
to be honest the sound was a little "tippy" on the highs ... but as i say everything is not broken in ... maybe it is also the amp
However the detail is very very impressive.  I guess that the drivers used are very very good.
I took off the felts on mine because i hate felts in general ... also on speakers. I think they was taming a little the tippy sound ... maybe i will place something again, but only after the break-in ... my experience tells me that there is often a smoothing effect on sound.
Changing subject i wonder how a good digital eq could do with good and cheap rigs ... maybe wonders.
It could be a little tricky to set up a mic to measure the actual FR on HPs ... but i read that digital eq can be exceptional.
I have a friend who has bought a cheap Behringer ... he loves the unit that has also a auto equalization feature.   Just pushing a button and you get a very flat result.
One day i will test this for sure.
Thanks a lot again.
Have a nice day,  gino

May 6, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #3,175 of 4,701

Hi and thanks sincerely again.  Very kind of you.
I was listening yesterday evening to an all new chain ... usb dac (cheap from Muse Audio) > amp from SMSL - TI 6120 based > Hi2050 (these are not new but left unused for many months)
to be honest the sound was a little "tippy" on the highs ... but as i say everything is not broken in ... maybe it is also the amp
However the detail is very very impressive.  I guess that the drivers used are very very good.
I took off the felts on mine because i hate felts in general ... also on speakers. I think they was taming a little the tippy sound ... maybe i will place something again, but only after the break-in ... my experience tells me that there is often a smoothing effect on sound.
Changing subject i wonder how a good digital eq could do with good and cheap rigs ... maybe wonders.
It could be a little tricky to set up a mic to measure the actual FR on HPs ... but i read that digital eq can be exceptional.
I have a friend who has bought a cheap Behringer ... he loves the unit that has also a auto equalization feature.   Just pushing a button and you get a very flat result.
One day i will test this for sure.
Thanks a lot again.
Have a nice day,  gino

Here is the Pro 80 FR graph. You can get all the other measurements here: http://en.goldenears.net/10893
I think since the drivers are the same, the FR graph can't be too different. Maybe a bit less in the sub-bass and a bit more in the mid and upper treble.

May 6, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,177 of 4,701

Here is the Pro 80 FR graph. You can get all the other measurements here: http://en.goldenears.net/10893
I think since the drivers are the same, the FR graph can't be too different. Maybe a bit less in the sub-bass and a bit more in the mid and upper treble.

Hi and thanks a lot indeed for the extremely valuable link and graph
to fill that hole at 4kHz with digital eq would be a child game ...
Unfortunately i am far from home and have logistic issues.
But this is a learning phase ...
I am forced to listen only with HPs but i am discovering a whole new world
I am sincerely excited by the adventure
Thanks a lot again.
gino

May 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #3,178 of 4,701
Hello everyone, I'm new here. After lurking through this thread for several days and reading all 212 pages (Yes, I did.) I decided to register and become a part of this wondeful community.

First off I wanted to thank everyone who posted in this thread for contributing and sharing your experiences/information... Especially Claus-DK, PurpleAngel, DJScope and many others of which I can't remember their names.

I am no expert in the audiophile realm even though I have always loved music and always looked forward to improving my overall listening experience.

All I have is just a Siberia v2 headset and before that I had a Creative gaming headset. Having a closed headset already I went with the Hi2050 even though I'll probably still order the Pro80s. I listen to far too many genres!

Along with that I also ordered the HM5 velour pads and the HifiMeDIY Sabre Dac 2 since I also wanted some sort of amping with the DAC.

I really don't know how much my overall experience will change or improve but I am confident that it's been a great bargain. I'll let you know what I think about this set of cans in a few days hoping I made the right choice with the Amp/DAC!

Once again, thanks!

May 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,179 of 4,701

Usually the felt on the drivers help to make the sound less agressive on the highs
Hello everyone, I'm new here. After lurking through this thread for several days and reading all 212 pages (Yes, I did.) I decided to register and become a part of this wondeful community.

First off I wanted to thank everyone who posted in this thread for contributing and sharing your experiences/information... Especially Claus-DK, PurpleAngel, DJScope and many others of which I can't remember their names.

I am no expert in the audiophile realm even though I have always loved music and always looked forward to improving my overall listening experience.

All I have is just a Siberia v2 headset and before that I had a Creative gaming headset. Having a closed headset already I went with the Hi2050 even though I'll probably still order the Pro80s. I listen to far too many genres!

Along with that I also ordered the HM5 velour pads and the HifiMeDIY Sabre Dac 2 since I also wanted some sort of amping with the DAC.

I really don't know how much my overall experience will change or improve but I am confident that it's been a great bargain. I'll let you know what I think about this set of cans in a few days hoping I made the right choice with the Amp/DAC!

Once again, thanks!

I don't know about the HI2050 but the Pro 80 are in another league, IMO, they blow away the Siberia and 80% of the gaming headsets on the market

May 6, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,180 of 4,701
Usually the felt on the drivers help to make the sound less agressive on the highs

Hi and thanks a lot for the valuable advice.  Actually i read that felts tend to attenuate more high freqs.
I sincerely hope the all chain will smooth out a little.  Now the sound is a little graspy and tends to ring.
I do not like felts. They seem also to slow down transients ? 
instead i would like to try one day digital eq because it works great on speakers
But i see in this forum that no one is using it so maybe it is a wrong idea
All is very new now.  
I will run in a little before making any decision. 
Another very nice thing of these Takstar is that they are quite easy to drive. 
Do you amp your Pro 80 or not ?
I have also a X1 myself. What is your opinion of this little thing ?
Thanks again,  gino 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back