The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 7, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #3,197 of 4,676
  Thank for the input!

A 60Ω headphone being easier to drive than a 32Ω one, are you sure you just didn't get a good fit with the CAL?

It's not all about impedance, you also have to put sensitivity into the equation. That's how you measure efficiency. My Goldring DR150s which are 32 Ohms are harder to drive than the Pro 80s. 

Ew look at that huge 4k dip. After some experience, I ABHOR EQ, sure you can make your headphones sound more neutral, but its almost always going to sound artificial. The CAL graph looks a lot smoother, for reference:

But look at that channel imbalance. Treble response is almost completely different from 2k to 8k between L & R.

May 7, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3,198 of 4,676
Originally Posted by DJScope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the Pro 80 FR graph. You can get all the other measurements here: http://en.goldenears.net/10893
I think since the drivers are the same, the FR graph can't be too different. Maybe a bit less in the sub-bass and a bit more in the mid and upper treble.

Hi ! after seeing that hole at 4kHz in the FR i have lost my sleep ...
I forgot to mention that i cut away with little scissors the felt just above the drivers
Maybe the felt was giving some dB attenuation centered at 4kHz ???
Seriously ... i have never seen a hole that deep in a FR ...
how can this be possible ???
Thanks again,  gino

May 7, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #3,199 of 4,676

Hi ! after seeing that hole at 4kHz in the FR i have lost my sleep ...
I forgot to mention that i cut away with little scissors the felt just above the drivers
Maybe the felt was giving some dB attenuation centered at 4kHz ???
Seriously ... i have never seen a hole that deep in a FR ...
how can this be possible ???
Thanks again,  gino

Eh, after enough reviews about the Pro 80 saying things like it was comparable to the HM5 or a more neutral M50 (!), and reviews on this website choosing it over the CAL's, I pulled the trigger, especially since they were so cheap comparatively. 

Most reviews don't reflect a hole at 4kHz, but anyway I see lots of mods removing the felt on top of the drivers, I am too terrified of ever doing anything similar, wouldn't all sorts of lint and hair be able to get in there now? With no way of cleaning it?

May 7, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,200 of 4,676
  Eh, after enough reviews about the Pro 80 saying things like it was comparable to the HM5 or a more neutral M50 (!), and reviews on this website choosing it over the CAL's, I pulled the trigger, especially since they were so cheap comparatively. 
Most reviews don't reflect a hole at 4kHz, but anyway I see lots of mods removing the felt on top of the drivers, I am too terrified of ever doing anything similar, wouldn't all sorts of lint and hair be able to get in there now? With no way of cleaning it?

Hi i have been confusing 
i have now a pair of HI2050 and bought the Pro 80 (i am waiting for receiving them)
i do not know if they are same construction. It could be. 
I removed the felts in the hi2050 and there is still a thin fabric integral with the ear-pads covering the drivers
The felts are quite thick. I cut them with little scissors.
I did the same on some JVC with good results so i have developed a kind of annoyance for felts.
The Grado for instance they do not have them. For sure this change the FR on the highs.
bye, gino  

May 7, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,201 of 4,676
  Hi i have been confusing 
i have now a pair of HI2050 and bought the Pro 80 (i am waiting for receiving them)
i do not know if they are same construction. It could be. 
I removed the felts in the hi2050 and there is still a thin fabric integral with the ear-pads covering the drivers
The felts are quite thick. I cut them with little scissors.
I did the same on some JVC with good results so i have developed a kind of annoyance for felts.
The Grado for instance they do not have them. For sure this change the FR on the highs.
bye, gino  

See if you can return the pro 80, it is literally an HI2050 with the back closed. You can get the gemini hsr 1000, which is a rebranded pro80, for 30 dollars cheaper.

Hmm I took off the pads off my JVC's and I think I see what you're saying, underneath the pad the driver itself is covered with a mesh. However how big of a sound difference is there by leaving the felt on, because the felt reminds me of the protection Comply Foam Eartips have to protect the headphone's grille, which itself is very hard to clean, however the eartip and felt are replaceable, similar to our earpads.

May 8, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #3,202 of 4,676
Originally Posted by theuprising /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See if you can return the pro 80, it is literally an HI2050 with the back closed.
You can get the gemini hsr 1000, which is a rebranded pro80, for 30 dollars cheaper.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very kind and valuable advice.
As i have made some compulsive buys lately i checked better and i have bought both the Pro80 and its clone Gemini hsr 1000 !
To sum up i have at hand the hi2050 and waiting the other two. I will keep them all. No problem.
Being is my main and only hobby and not married i have to waste money in some ways ....
Problem is, and this is really strange, that i do not pay custom from China/HK but i pay big money for custom from USA in Norway.  Are they not allies/friends ?
Free shipping and no custom from China !!!   ... next step is to be paid to buy things from there 
biggrin.gif

i am ready by the way ...

Hmm I took off the pads off my JVC's and I think I see what you're saying, underneath the pad the driver itself is covered with a mesh.
However how big of a sound difference is there by leaving the felt on, because the felt reminds me of the protection Comply Foam Eartips have to protect the headphone's grille, which itself is very hard to clean, however the eartip and felt are replaceable, similar to our earpads.

I have at parents home these ones here

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX900-High-Grade-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013P3ZOE

i was not able to remove completely the felt but just peel it off a layer of it reducing the thickness 
maybe i am wrong but the sense of "immediacy" of sound increases, like the felt slowind down the transients ? i am guessing here ...
the Grado have just a cloth with large mesh (sorry for the English ... it is just my 5th language) above the drivers acoustic lens ...

http://penstarsys.com/reviews/headphone/grado/sr125/sr125_2.htm

i like very much indeed the "direct" sound of Grado
To end all my ramblings i feel that the hi2050 (and so also the Gemini/Pro 80) have a very high potential for excellent sound.
Now after reading some other thread i am sincerely excited by the equalization.   It can make a headphone FR very flat !
I am still undecided about the way to go for eq .... HW or SW.
My plan is:
1)   select an headphone with very low distortion (i think the Takstar are a candidate like my other Roland rh-300 ... i have seen very impressive figures indeed)
2)   equalize it to get a very flat FR at least from 50/60 to 15kHz ... i do not go higher .. i am 54
But again these HPs from Takstar are really something.

However I would suggest a mod.   It would be extremely helpful to have the possibility to tilt the earcups ... this would improve hugely the comfort.
Like the Grado i mean ...

http://penstarsys.com/reviews/headphone/grado/sr125/close.jpg

I have a very strong feeling that a Takstar Grado like would be not that more expensive to build and it would sound ... i do not want to sound blasfemous ... but on a par with the Grados.
The Grado (and other vintage HPs) have shown the world how an HP must be ... basic and simple ... and circular.
Like now are Audeze, HIFiman, Stax Omega, and many other.
I would establish a law that all the HPs must have the same basic, smart, simple and effective design.
The differences would be mostly in the drivers.
Because in the end the drivers make the sound.  If a driver has distortion ... it is not a suitable driver.
Sorry for the long ramblings.
Have a nice day, gino

May 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,203 of 4,676
Gino,

Could you please give me your thoughts between the pro80s and takstars once they arrive?

May 8, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #3,204 of 4,676
Gino,
Could you please give me your thoughts between the pro80s and takstars once they arrive?

hi and yes of course. Thanks for asking
biggrin.gif

I can say already something:
1)   I find the hi2050 not completely comfortable because they do not rotate vertically.  I like earcups able to rotate both vertically and horizontally, like in the Grado HP for instance. After a while i feel the earpcups edge on the skull.  The earpads become very soft.  I have to replace them for sure and maybe the situation will improve a lot.
2)   i prefer the Takstar sound to the one of the Beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250 ohm (i am sure that they will be better with the felt removed but i am afraid to damage them ... they are more expensive). As stock the sound is not as crisp as the Takstar sound.
3)   the Takstar can be driven with almost anything decent.  Even a usb headamp can drive them properly. Not so the Beyer ... of course.
4)   with the Takstar i have the feeling to hear more detail.  Sometime is scaring even. And also clean.  Much more than with the Beyer.
I will report about the pro80 for sure.
I have still to try k701, Roland rh-300 and listen again better to akg 242HD and k501.
For instance also the k501 are really something especially as the other people say in the midband ... very remarkable indeed.
To conclude i think that a Takstar with the headband revised could be an exceptional product.
One day i would like to try them with an hybrid headphone amp... the match could be very very interesting. 
wink.gif

Thanks again,  gino

May 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #3,205 of 4,676
Thanks Gino,

My HifiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2 and HM5 replacement pads arrived yesterday. Even though I'm still waiting for my 2050s I tried it with the Siberia v2 and I must say it is definitely an improvement in soundstage an overall sound quality.

The bass is now tighter, fuller but not invasive at all. I hate too much bass!

The mids seem clearer and much more present.

The highs seem much brighter and clearer as well!

Soundstage went from none to quite good I must say. Now I just need to wait and see if the Takstars can truly shine with this!

05e2ae1aa846a1ebd1810c220131c90b.jpg

FYI I ordered the Asynchronous DAC from Amazon.it and it did not come with the Power Adapter and had to buy it at a local store.

May 8, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3,206 of 4,676
Thanks Gino,
My HifiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2 and HM5 replacement pads arrived yesterday. Even though I'm still waiting for my 2050s I tried it with the Siberia v2 and I must say it is definitely an improvement in soundstage an overall sound quality.
The bass is now tighter, fuller but not invasive at all. I hate too much bass!
The mids seem clearer and much more present.
The highs seem much brighter and clearer as well!
Soundstage went from none to quite good I must say. Now I just need to wait and see if the Takstars can truly shine with this!
FYI I ordered the Asynchronous DAC from Amazon.it and it did not come with the Power Adapter and had to buy it at a local store.

Hi and thanks a lot again. 
I have also the Siberia V2 ... well the hi2050 sound quite different indeed.  I prefer the detail of the 2050 even if they are still a little harsh.  
I hope they will relax a little more ... but the detail watching movies on Netflix is amazing.
As i said i have already invested maybe too much in equipment. and i tend to prefer separation between dac and headamp.
But i am sure your dac is fantastic sounding.  Lately i have been impressed by the quality of even very cheap unit
Regards,  gino 

May 10, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,207 of 4,676
Hi just to say my previoud problem was the SW and not the hi2050.
They instead are very good HPs indeed.
When watching movies on Netflix i hear the background/ambient noises with a quality that is scaring even.
Many time i take out the HPs to check if someone is knocking at the door or ring a car horn ...
And i live in a complete silent place ...
This drivers are good.
I am going to send an email to Takstar praying them to put the hi2050 drivers in a new headphone
"following" this extremely successful concept here below

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowtam/media/DSC_0004-2.jpg.html

it would sell like crazy.  I am completely sure of this
If the price would be reasonable i would buy 4.
I do not know what they are waiting for really.
Regards,  gino 

May 11, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #3,208 of 4,676
I use the hifi 2050s for my laptop/gaming/music. My alienware's onboard sound chip is from creative. I also use the creative omni and utilize the equilizer...so its like double creative (all the way). I find sound clarity to be excellent. However, on a different laptop with a different on board sound card, there is some fuzziness in the background. Yet again on another machine with dolby software, the bass overpowers..and in other sources its lacking bass. Therefore, I think experience with these is dependent on what you have it plugged into and the equalizer helps a bunch for a flat response. As far as driving, they have plenty of volume plugged directly into anything, but they sound way better with use of the creative omni I bought which of course has an amp. I can't speak for the pro-80s.

May 11, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #3,209 of 4,676
My Takstars are stuck on the "Ready for shipment" status since 5 days ago. They are being shipped from Yanwen going through the Netherlands. Does anyone know how long 'til they get processed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back