think im gonna keep these in my drawer at
work for late nights

overall this was a fun project
thanks for the help

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #2,496 of 4,701
  or maybe with the grille blue
gonna live with 'em for a few weeks
its not a big deal to redo the grills

Just a thought...careful how much you paint those grills.  I know it sounds silly but paint build up can easily decrease the size of the tiny holes, effectively changing the tuning of that "open" headphone.

LOVE the mods though!!!

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #2,497 of 4,701

Just a thought...careful how much you paint those grills.  I know it sounds silly but paint build up can easily decrease the size of the tiny holes, effectively changing the tuning of that "open" headphone.

LOVE the mods though!!!

Ha true, from semi-open to closed back in just a few more sprays. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,498 of 4,701
Might be useful in "purposely" tuning open or semi-open headphones....I dont know about this particular application, but if you are modding anyway, might need to change the amount of "openness" especially if you go as far as custom cans for the drivers that might have more or less internal volume. ....again, just a thought....
beyersmile.png

Happy Modding!!!

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #2,500 of 4,701
  the clear blocked up some of the holes
i was clearing them out with a pin
after a 4 hour listening session last night
they sound so good i don't wanna mess with 'em
highly reccomend the driver swap

Awesome man! I will have to give those drivers a try in a project someday, I know Folex wants to.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,502 of 4,701
Out of pure curiosity, I decided to remove the white sponge pads inside the HI 2050 cups and oh boy does it do wonders:
- The somewhat limited soundstage has really opened and thanks to that, tracks with multiple instruments have more room to breath. The drums on my metal songs become calmer, less "metallic" sounding and bloated, and leave other instruments much more audible.
- The high peaks seem to be more controlled, they don't drill deep holes in your ears like before but instead just dig some shallow cracks and then fly off (I can't search for any other more appropriate expressions LOL) I find myself no longer dependent on the electri-q setting recommended earlier in this thread. It could be placebo effect though, I'm not totally sure
- The can now feel slightly lighter. Not much, but I think it's quite noticeable, which adds to the overall comfort.
However, there are cons to this so-called mod too. The bass, which is originally quite weak imho, now get even more pale. And the sound leak is bigger than ever. Don't ever try wearing this next to your drowsy wife if at nights or else you'll end up sleeping on the sofas
ph34r.gif

So, to sum up, I think this simple trick would be useful for those seeking for a wider soundstage, more seperation and less spikey highs. This would be ideal for genres like classical, busy rock and metal (if you're not bassheads) imho. Not suitable for bass centric genres like DnB, mainstream pop etc.
For me, I'm glad I did this mod. But I don't expect my Sennheiser Hd 239 to feel willing too haha
Happy modding and listening guys! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,503 of 4,701
Hi guys, I'm thinking about buying a couple of HI2050 but I'm worried about sound leakage. I will just use it at home but I don't want to disturb my family a lot and I didn't find any sound leakage test out there so, how bad is the sound leakage with  this headphones?

Thank you!

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #2,504 of 4,701
  Hi guys, I'm thinking about buying a couple of HI2050 but I'm worried about sound leakage. I will just use it at home but I don't want to disturb my family a lot and I didn't find any sound leakage test out there so, how bad is the sound leakage with  this headphones?

Thank you!

Unless you play your audio loud, I do not think you would bother anyone.
You should be able to listen at a decent but low volume, if someone else is in the room.
Chances are for you to have it loud enough to really be heard from someone in another room, you ear drums would already have busted.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,505 of 4,701
  Out of pure curiosity, I decided to remove the white sponge pads inside the HI 2050 cups and oh boy does it do wonders:
- The somewhat limited soundstage has really opened and thanks to that, tracks with multiple instruments have more room to breath. The drums on my metal songs become calmer, less "metallic" sounding and bloated, and leave other instruments much more audible.
- The high peaks seem to be more controlled, they don't drill deep holes in your ears like before but instead just dig some shallow cracks and then fly off (I can't search for any other more appropriate expressions LOL) I find myself no longer dependent on the electri-q setting recommended earlier in this thread. It could be placebo effect though, I'm not totally sure
- The can now feel slightly lighter. Not much, but I think it's quite noticeable, which adds to the overall comfort.
However, there are cons to this so-called mod too. The bass, which is originally quite weak imho, now get even more pale. And the sound leak is bigger than ever. Don't ever try wearing this next to your drowsy wife if at nights or else you'll end up sleeping on the sofas
ph34r.gif

So, to sum up, I think this simple trick would be useful for those seeking for a wider soundstage, more seperation and less spikey highs. This would be ideal for genres like classical, busy rock and metal (if you're not bassheads) imho. Not suitable for bass centric genres like DnB, mainstream pop etc.
For me, I'm glad I did this mod. But I don't expect my Sennheiser Hd 239 to feel willing too haha
Happy modding and listening guys! 
beerchug.gif

Are you still diggin the mod Toothless? I'm probably gonna do the same to mine here soon when I add a 3.5mm jack. How tough is it to reverse the mod if I'm not into it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back