The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Aug 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,206 of 4,701
Sadly I sold my pro 80s as I wasn't using it enough. Now I want them back. I'm such a hoarder. Gotta learn to let go

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,208 of 4,701
Sign of mental sickness I say

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,209 of 4,701
Please be aware that Takstar indeed updated the Pro80. My version is the new, straight cabled one. I don't know if sonically there is any difference.

First Impressions:

1.  Build, Comfort, etc

- Great build quality, even if the price was 200$. The only flaw is the extending mechanism, too loose and cheap-feeling.
- A lot smaller than I thought, but big nevertheless. They appear smaller than on the photos when held on the hand, but still big when worn on the head.
- Design is much better IRL than on the photos, the glossy black is not that glossy and really brings the all black design to life.
- The stock pads are much softer than I expected, the pleather used is smooth and soft enough for them to be comfortable. The big pads fully enclose my big ears easily.
- Isolation is fantastic (please be aware that I'm coming from a K450, so this might be biased)

with the HM5 Velour earpads:

- OUT ******* STANDING comfort. I mean, this is the best of the best. Point.

1. Sound

I have tried these on 4/5 song till now (doing it while writing) and this is the first stuff I notice:

- (Probably will go away with break-in) Shrill mids and highs, specially mid-highs. Not the best, but I wasn't expecting much more than this. Gets much better when paired to the E11, the warmness corrects it a bit.
- Stupendous lows, controlled, punchy (really punchy), almost perfect. Simpy love them, a whole skyscrapper above the K450 and anything else I've heard. I only hope improvements here, mainly less bleeding to the mids.
- mids are magnificent, low-mids are a tad boomy

with the E11 and velours:

- brightness remains too much if only the velours are used. E11, again, corrects it a bit
- lows seem to be tamed a bit, less punchy and boomy, more neutral, if only the velours are used. Not a bad thing. The E11 gives it the sparkle it had before (on EQ0, the other settings just boom it up to uncontrolled levels, and low gain). If they gets less boomy with break-in I'm definitely in love
- mids remain similar 

1. Summary

- Great design and overall great built, but too big to be stylish. Me likes it because...
- Comfort is supreme, and that is what matters to me. 
- If the brightness goes away, these will be my best buy ever in electronics.

To end: any tips on how to break in these headphones?

Edit: I'm listening to this and I'm almost crying of joy. Male voices are so beautiful with these headphones...

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #2,211 of 4,701
I thought the Pro 80 had pretty rolled off highs so no chance of highs being too much

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #2,212 of 4,701
well, took a chance on the pro 80 after dispute on the 2050 was accepted, hope this time they arrive.

The takstar 5500 are fine for commute with fiio e6 and MW600 Bluetooth, but the circular pads are not so comfortable for home use.

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #2,213 of 4,701
please have in mind that for me highs are almost good in every single headphone. I just don't like them that much, so I don't mind them to be a bit lacking. what I was saying is that the mids and high-mids have a sharpness and brightness I wasn't expecting, like if every recording was bad. Sibilance was there too, so everything sounded... like coming from the single speaker of a clock radio. They have been burning in for 10 hours non stop with loops of pink noise, I'll see if there are any changes when it reaches the 15 hour mark

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #2,214 of 4,701
Hey guys! 
So I've been using my pro-80 with my hm-5 pads for a few months and they sound amazing togehter, but... I just can't decide what to put to the sides to make the stage bigger. Like I've put a cable to each side but that didn't make it the soundstage that much bigger so I tried with tissues. They were much better, but they always slip out, as you can see here:
How did you guys do this? Should I use a thicker cable? Is there a way to keep it in place? Oh and one more thing, I brought these pads because the stock pads have pushed my left ear all the time. That stopped with these pad but the mesh is still touching my ear and it annoys me, is there a way to make that stop too? Thanks for the answers!

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #2,215 of 4,701
I thought the Pro 80 had pretty rolled off highs so no chance of highs being too much

Same here.

I actually EQ my highs up to bring back the sparkle and air.

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2,216 of 4,701
After 20 hours of burn in with pink noise, 15 hours straight + 90 min break + another 5 hours straight, here are the...

Second impressions:

1. Other stuff than sound

- TBH I prefer this kind of extending mechanism. I just need to extend it almost totally, place the earcups on my ears, and then work the sliders down until the headband reaches my head. Simple, comfortable, easy.

1. Sound

Now we're gettin there. Brightness has gone, shrilness has gone, sibilance has gone. "Time" from the remastered The Dark Side Of the Moon is supreme, the cymbals sound great. Please remember I hate cymbals 
biggrin.gif

- Highs are a tad lacking, the sounds seems too distant and closed in. Maybe I'll try the foam mod. 
- Mids are.... I'm speachless. Guitars are so alive! Male voices are so alive!
- Lows: bleed is certainly less, and seems to be a bit corrected by the E11. The lows get deeper, but less boomy. The extension is very, very good. I'm hearing stuff I just didn't knew that were there. Punchyness is just about right for me.

I'm listening to "Sultans of Swing" from the flac Alchemy Live while writing. The recording is good, but the detail in these headphones is so much better than on the K450 that it seems quite worse. At least far from perfect. Enjoyable? Hell yes. I'm dancing on my chair goddammit! A eletric guitar grew on my hands. Ah, this is very good....

Soundstage is better than I expected, a few tries with Chesky stuff surprised me.

If I tried to summarise these headphones + E11 when driven from my Asus laptop in one sentence, it would be "The smoothness of musical detail". These just take you all the way to nirvana. If you don't need analytical sound, if you want to, I dare to say, truly enjoy your music for the next 4 hours, these are the ones. Let them rock!

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,217 of 4,701
  After 20 hours of burn in with pink noise, 15 hours straight + 90 min break + another 5 hours straight, here are the...

Second impressions:

1. Other stuff than sound

- TBH I prefer this kind of extending mechanism. I just need to extend it almost totally, place the earcups on my ears, and then work the sliders down until the headband reaches my head. Simple, comfortable, easy.

1. Sound

Now we're gettin there. Brightness has gone, shrilness has gone, sibilance has gone. "Time" from the remastered The Dark Side Of the Moon is supreme, the cymbals sound great. Please remember I hate cymbals 
biggrin.gif

- Highs are a tad lacking, the sounds seems too distant and closed in. Maybe I'll try the foam mod. 
- Mids are.... I'm speachless. Guitars are so alive! Male voices are so alive!
- Lows: bleed is certainly less, and seems to be a bit corrected by the E11. The lows get deeper, but less boomy. The extension is very, very good. I'm hearing stuff I just didn't knew that were there. Punchyness is just about right for me.

I'm listening to "Sultans of Swing" from the flac Alchemy Live while writing. The recording is good, but the detail in these headphones is so much better than on the K450 that it seems quite worse. At least far from perfect. Enjoyable? Hell yes. I'm dancing on my chair goddammit! A eletric guitar grew on my hands. Ah, this is very good....

Soundstage is better than I expected, a few tries with Chesky stuff surprised me.

If I tried to summarise these headphones + E11 when driven from my Asus laptop in one sentence, it would be "The smoothness of musical detail". These just take you all the way to nirvana. If you don't need analytical sound, if you want to, I dare to say, truly enjoy your music for the next 4 hours, these are the ones. Let them rock!

If you try these with an amp that's more neutral and has better staging then the E11, these will blow your mind! 

I'm glad you like them. I'm still yet to find a better value can which sounds as good as the Pro 80s.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #2,218 of 4,701
  Hey guys! 
So I've been using my pro-80 with my hm-5 pads for a few months and they sound amazing togehter, but... I just can't decide what to put to the sides to make the stage bigger. Like I've put a cable to each side but that didn't make it the soundstage that much bigger so I tried with tissues. They were much better, but they always slip out, as you can see here:
How did you guys do this? Should I use a thicker cable? Is there a way to keep it in place? Oh and one more thing, I brought these pads because the stock pads have pushed my left ear all the time. That stopped with these pad but the mesh is still touching my ear and it annoys me, is there a way to make that stop too? Thanks for the answers!

What type of cable are you using?

Try a piece of cable from the cable that supplies you with cable TV (RG-6 Digital Coaxial Cable)...it is round and stiff.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2,220 of 4,701
Will the pro80 improve with a hi res dap like the fiio's? Im using an ipod touch/clip plus and fiio e11 right now.

I use the E17 and its sounds great. But I've also used several other more powerful amps and they actually sound better. Its one of those uncommon cans that scales really well with better gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back