The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jul 11, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #2,071 of 4,701
  I just removed the foam pads on my pro 80s. The sound stage improved a lot and treble was increased. This might go well with the HM5 pad mod.

OK just did it and ran SineWave before and after and once in between with the foam still there on one and not on the other. What I noticed is that you lose controlled bass from 20-30Hz but you regain a little bit of the 4kHz region and the treble now extends up to 15.5Khz, before it peaked at around 14.5kHz. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #2,072 of 4,701
Sorry for the triple post but I wanted to upload this 
darthsmile.gif

Thanks to all those contributors in this thread for helping me make the right decision on getting these awesome cans! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #2,075 of 4,701
  ^That sounds promising. Does it sound any better to you?

Believe it or not, to my ears, it sounds much more natural. And, you're right about the soundstage it sounds just a tad deeper. I personally like the extra treble extension. It definitely brings the "tsss" sound. Worth the trade of a losing a little bit of the lowest bass. Anywhere about 30Hz is the same all the way up to the mids.

incredible setup, congratz! 
beerchug.gif

Edit: I suppose you're using the E17 as only an amp? no DAP?

I use it as a DAC/amp and plug it into my phone and PC. I don't have any files that are above 16/44.1 except for the one album I have that is 24/44.1, so playing it through my Moto G is not a problem. Makes a HUGE difference.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2,077 of 4,701
  ^Nice. I'll keep the foam off too. Currently waiting for my HM5 pads.

Thanks for trying it in the first place. If you want to bring some of that bass back you could try using a stocking instead of foam. That could bring some of the bass back without making such a huge impact on the treble as the foam is much denser.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,080 of 4,701
  Order placed! Takstar Pro80 + HM5 velour earpads + FiiO E11 (didn't get the NX1)

thank you all for you help and recommendations

Awesome mate! Just a heads up, I didn't really think that the E11 paired well with the Pro 80s. But that's to my ears of course. Would love to hear your impressions.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,081 of 4,701

We want you hear your full report upon receipt!
popcorn.gif

you'll definitely have it!

Awesome mate! Just a heads up, I didn't really think that the E11 paired well with the Pro 80s. But that's to my ears of course. Would love to hear your impressions.

yes, I know, it is my biggest fear that those 50$ were thrown away. But I have very high sensivity to treble, so I want it laid back and warm, kind of what the E11 does. we'll see

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,082 of 4,701
So I couldn't pass up a deal on a pair of the "real thing"  32ohm DT880s after owning the Technical Pro DT990s aka Takstar DT2050.   I have to say the Takstar/Technicals hold their own in terms of sound quality and build quality.  This is after using the dual outputs of a Fiio E7.  Still so impressed by these.  Not sure what I should do now... sell one of em?  Keep both?  I dunno.  I only paid $40 for the 990s but I do have waaay too many cans.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,084 of 4,701
  So I couldn't pass up a deal on a pair of the "real thing"  32ohm DT880s after owning the Technical Pro DT990s aka Takstar DT2050.   I have to say the Takstar/Technicals hold their own in terms of sound quality and build quality.  This is after using the dual outputs of a Fiio E7.  Still so impressed by these.  Not sure what I should do now... sell one of em?  Keep both?  I dunno.  I only paid $40 for the 990s but I do have waaay too many cans.

Keep both. To prove to people that more expensive doesn't actually mean better or MUCH better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back