The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Mar 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,801 of 4,701
I ask because you need to be careful and check whether your amp has a common ground or not between left and right. If it doesn't have a common ground I don't think you can connect it like that. You might blow up the amp. I'm not an electrical engineer but I've asked this on the other threads and several people have told me this

I can't stress what you have stated.  I believe a lot of amps don't have the common ground feature.  While someone could have the desire to use a speaker amp to drive the headphones, there's also a likely chance that the amp could fail.  Also, driving a pair of headphones with dynamic drivers is different than drive a pair of ortho headphones.  The ortho headphones can take a lot more power.  I know the Superlux can take only about 300 mW of power.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,802 of 4,701

speaker tap and connections for the HD600s and HE500s

Are those custom cables? If so, that is some impressive handy work!

Have you got any experience with making custom ear pads? I've made custom ear pads for my ****ty gaming HP just because the originals felt like balls and my ears touched the housing on the inside, so I was force to sew up a pair out of an old cotton tshirt and a car washing sponge. The only bad thing in the design was the sponge, it's way too hard for comfort but they gave the correct distance for my ears not to touch the housing. I think I'll be trying this method again for the Pro80s but using something softer. Maybe a whole lot of cotton wool.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,803 of 4,701
This is exactly what I had in mind!

Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.

If that is really the case, then I would have to be much more cautious then I first thought. The Pro80s use dynamic drivers. How does one check if the ground is common. If I crack the lid open and check the wiring, will there be anything to indicate this? I recall looking in several old electrical equipment I've looked into and from what I can recall, the ground goes straight into the base or housing by just one ground wire. Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to circuitry, but I am good with a soldering iron.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,804 of 4,701
I'm no ee but most amps would have some sort of circuit diagram you could find online. My old pioneer amp from the 80s has one

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,805 of 4,701
I'm no ee but most amps would have some sort of circuit diagram you could find online. My old pioneer amp from the 80s has one

Well the amp is not exactly one of those antique wooden amps. It's over 10 years old but still a digital amp nevertheless. But as I recall, it sounded very good back when I used to use it. I've got it in front of me now and the first thing to point out, it does not have a HP jack, nor does the GPO plug have a ground pin. So the ground must be going into the case, as I suspected. Which I can only assume that the ground is shared. 

EDIT:

Well just my luck. There are no wiring/circuit diagrams for this amp. It's not exactly a popular one. It's a Sansui HTS 105 which is from what I can gather a rebranded Toshiba amp. I guess Ill have to go with my gut on this one and see what I can do with experimenting with it. Not even exactly sure how many watts are actually coming out of the channels and I can't find my multimeter...

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,806 of 4,701
I'm surprised it doesn't have a HP out because it's not that old. Give it a go and let us know the results

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,807 of 4,701
Another update.

The ground wires seem to go to a separate smaller coil (looks like a tiny amp or electric motor circuit) could that be the ground circuit. I don't see any wires terminating into the case itself.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #1,808 of 4,701
That's strange. You won't really know without a circuit diagram

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,809 of 4,701
That's strange. You won't really know without a circuit diagram

Indeed.

I can't find my 3.5mm femal to RCA adapter. Ill need to get a new one to try this mod. Hopefully soon. I'll keep you guys posted.

EDIT:

Wow! This subject is really all over the place. I've been researching this everywhere and really can't get a straight answer. Some say it's perfectly OK. Others say you can blow you amp pretty much instantly or from a variations in the current. 

So I decided, I will probably not risk it for the sake of not damaging my headphones just in case. They're only 60 Ohms and I would much rather keep them for a few years. :)

I will be sourcing a second hand amp with a headphone jack. Hopefully I will try and find whoever has my mums old 600W Sony amp which has 2x 6.3 HP jacks and was "studio" rated, apparently. Probably just a marketing gimmick, but it did cost $800 with the speakers. Who knows. 

PS. Sorry for the rambling :p

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,811 of 4,701
Yeah it's like recabling for balanced

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,813 of 4,701
Mar 30, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,815 of 4,701
I can't find the HM5 pads anywhere unfortunately.

I'm thinking of getting some deer leather and making my own DYI pads and see how that goes.

Also looking into doing a removable cable mod.

What would be advantage of replacing the stock cables with CAT5 cables?

Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back