The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Apr 17, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #106 of 399

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no one near me who owns a ZO2 that I can borrow, or else it would be relatively easy to determine if it is my ZO2's issues or it is indeed every ZO2's issue. For now, I can only follow the result of the test.

Ok :/
I used the A10 and Zo2 on my commute, and can tell you that the A10 had a lot of trouble with EMI
My Zo2 dual locked, barely has any, and when it does, it's not ear piercingly loud like the A10's

Hiss wise:
I put my D2K's in my room (quiet environment) and could tell the E11 had the loudest hiss, almost as loud as the E5 had.
A10 cam after that with barely any hiss, and then the ZO2 with the very slightest hiss.

All plugged into my phone and PC for the same test + 2 way splitter to make sure.

Also ClieOS,
How do you compare the E5 and E6?
If you own the E5, might be worth putting it in the list :)

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #107 of 399
Also ClieOS,
How do you compare the E5 and E6?
If you own the E5, might be worth putting it in the list :)

Well, since we have different test conditions, I don't see why our result will be the same. I have all amps volume matched (Fuze's line-out, 1kHz test tone to RE0 in 100dB), in the lowest gain, then listened via SE530. Note, this is a real world listening volume (okay, just slightly louder than what I'll generally go for), not max out in volume or gain. It won't be much fair to compare amps in their highest gain or volume since that's not how people will use them generally with a line-out source and it puts amp with higher gain in disadvantage (with worst SNR).

Comparison between E5 and E6 is somewhat given on my E6 review. Not including E5 in the review because it has been discontinued and replaced by the better sounding E6. I do have a few more sub-$100 amps that I can include into this review, but the point is to only include what I think are more worthy of mentioning / popular among current HF'er.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #108 of 399

Quote:

Well, since we have different test conditions, I don't see why our result will be the same. I have all amps volume matched (Fuze's line-out, 1kHz test tone to RE0 in 100dB), in the lowest gain, then listened via SE530. Note, this is a real world listening volume (okay, just slightly louder than what I'll generally go for), not max out in volume or gain. It won't be much fair to compare amps in their highest gain or volume since that's not how people will use them generally with a line-out source and it puts amp with higher gain in disadvantage (with worst SNR).

Comparison between E5 and E6 is somewhat given on my E6 review. Not including E5 in the review because it has been discontinued and replaced by the better sounding E6. I do have a few more sub-$100 amps that I can include into this review, but the point is to only include what I think are more worthy of mentioning / popular among current HF'er.

Well for me, I went via my own ears, and both at the same volume of what I normally listen to.
FYI: ZO2 was on high gain too - meaning in theory even worse hissing - but that was not the case.

E5 wise and other products.
I never go on what others think should or shouldn't be here.
If it is your comparison, then it should truly be your decision to include the amps.
The more the merrier.

If I went via the HF'er rule:
-C751
-C710
-TFTA 1XB
-TFTA 1V
-EX510
-EX500

Would have never been known or listened to.
There is so little love for those products I mentioned above, yet they do excel.
And yet, all those products above, I rate higher than the IE7/8, se535, and westone 2's
Yet the sennheiser, shure and westones are raved about.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #109 of 399
Though I didn't include the actual data, measurement and analysis did take a lot of time so I was not going to invest time on amps I think that are more obscure. The point of this review, as like my IEM review, is not to cover everything, but to cover the basic so it will give readers a starting point for their own research. Plus, I actually do have a day job :D

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #110 of 399

Quote:
Though I didn't include the actual data, measurement and analysis did take a lot of time so I was not going to invest time on amps I think that are more obscure. The point of this review, as like my IEM review, is not to cover everything, but to cover the basic so it will give readers a starting point for their own research. Plus, I actually do have a day job
biggrin.gif

haha :p
And no, I actually prefer it without all the science behind it.
I like your reviews, I really do!
Although slightly disagree with 1 or 2 factors on this one.

Then again, we don't have the same ears, equipment, nor tastes.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #111 of 399
Hey there ClieOS ,

I`m moments away from purchasing a CmoyBB 2.03 for my re-262's , though this review had me 
reconsider my choices and maybe get the E11 instead . 
Which would you recommend between the two ? 

Because I have to say , I have the E6 and I somehow dislike it , it makes the sound very un-natural 
and kind of cheap , can't really point why (well at the price of it I did not expect much either) , 
and I was thinking maybe the E11 , as a member of the E series of FiiO's has sort of a similar 
results .

I enjoyed reading the review , thank you ,

Danny .

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #112 of 399
I`m moments away from purchasing a CmoyBB 2.03 for my re-262's , though this review had me 
reconsider my choices and maybe get the E11 instead . 
Which would you recommend between the two ? 

When it comes to RE262, I'll go for the cmoyBB actually as I find they have good synergy together. E11 will do a fiune job as well, but not necessary better.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #113 of 399
I'm excited to hear the RE262. I just ordered my first RE* earphone, largely on your recommendation. I'll be pairing it with the E11. I have a feeling though if I really like it, I may end up trying the RE272, too.

Quote:
When it comes to RE262, I'll go for the cmoyBB actually as I find they have good synergy together. E11 will do a fiune job as well, but not necessary better.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #114 of 399
I'm excited to hear the RE262. I just ordered my first RE* earphone, largely on your recommendation. I'll be pairing it with the E11. I have a feeling though if I really like it, I may end up trying the RE272, too.

Cool. Though I recommend cmoyBB with RE262 based on better synergy, E11 do drive RE262 really fine as well.

On minor news, I just placed an order of fred_fred_2004's 3 channels cmoy on eBay and hopefully will receive it within the next two weeks. Similar to my own DIY'ed cmoy2, it is an A47 based design with an active ground. If it sounds just as good as my cmoy2, E11 might be in for a tough fight for the top spot. We'll see.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #115 of 399

Quote:
Cool. Though I recommend cmoyBB with RE262 based on better synergy, E11 do drive RE262 really fine as well.
On minor news, I just placed an order of fred_fred_2004's 3 channels cmoy on eBay and hopefully will receive it within the next two weeks. Similar to my own DIY'ed cmoy2, it is an A47 based design with an active ground. If it sounds just as good as my cmoy2, E11 might be in for a tough fight for the top spot. We'll see.

Aah! More options! To make matters worst, I just purchased the RE272, before my RE262 even arrived. I blame you and your sonic diamonds!

May 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #116 of 399
in your review of the PA2V2 you mentioned that the volume knob was actually a gain control, which can cause clipping, should i worry about clipping in a full size home headset? (ath-a700, 500mW max input and 64ohm) im trying to learn what all these acronyms and audio terminology means but its a slow process. 

May 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #117 of 399
Quote:
in your review of the PA2V2 you mentioned that the volume knob was actually a gain control, which can cause clipping, should i worry about clipping in a full size home headset? (ath-a700, 500mW max input and 64ohm) im trying to learn what all these acronyms and audio terminology means but its a slow process. 

I never noticed any clipping when I used the PA2V2 with my HD580s, and those are 300ohms. It performed just fine with my dad's AD700s

May 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #118 of 399

Don't remember I have said anything about gain control and clipping n the review. However, it will clip only if the input is too high. Normal iPod level of line-out (0.5Vpp) should be fine, but standard line-out (2Vpp) might be more of a problem. Though I really don't think that will be that much of a problem as max gain on PA2V2 isn't quite as high as you might think. It is a bit more complicated as gain on PA2V2 is set by the ratio between the variable resistor pot and the volume pot, and it will only go up that much before maxing out. I tried to set them in various configuration abd found out that in general, setting the varible pot in lowest position will give you much better control over the gain and useable area n volume pot. The claim on unlimited (or very high level of) of gain control, like many aspests of PA2V2 technicalitis, isn't really as good / accurate as it is. That's the reason why I recommend against it in the review.

May 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #120 of 399
Vpp means Peak-to-Peak Voltage. Music is in AC (alternating current) form, like continuous up and down wave. Vpp means the up-most and down-most point in the wave form of the voltage. 0.5Vpp means the signal goes from -0.5V to 0.5V when it is in a full swing.

37_1176397540.jpg

Here are some of the term we used:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

There are just too many terms to fully cover by any one list, since some terms are electronics related and not audio specific. The easiest way is just google them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back