The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Jul 10, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #346 of 399
I looking for a amp to connect to my xperia z3. I have a piston v3 in-ear actually. In my opinion this bundle sound poor, low definition and low power volume.
A fiio e11k may be a good option or I need a DAC like a topping nx2?

thanks
regards

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #347 of 399
  I looking for a amp to connect to my xperia z3. I have a piston v3 in-ear actually. In my opinion this bundle sound poor, low definition and low power volume.
A fiio e11k may be a good option or I need a DAC like a topping nx2?

thanks
regards

I think you should consider upgrading your IEM first. Piston 3 isn't exactly the best sounding IEM of its class and there are some really excellent IEM in the sub$100 category these days.

However, if you do really want to try out an amp, E11K is an excellent choice. NX2 however won't be that great a choice - while it is worth the price as a whole, but noticeably a downgrade from E11K as an amp  and its DAC won't be an upgrade over your Z3's internal DAC either. If you really want an amp+DAC that shows real difference from your smartphone, do prepare to pay over $100.

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #349 of 399
I've heard that many people like the original E11 better

I am under the impression that some find E11's bass boost to be better (because it has two settings), but E11k sounds better with a clearer and more neutral presentation, plus a wider soundstage.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #351 of 399
Depends on if you prefer a darker or brighter sound. I personally like it dark

Unfortunately personal preference can't be easily applied to another person, but spec and measurement can. Since subjectivity is hard to deal with, recommendation should be based on objectivity, or at least I'll like to keep it that way as much as I can in this thread.

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #352 of 399
Unfortunately personal preference can't be easily applied to another person, but spec and measurement can. Since subjectivity is hard to deal with, recommendation should be based on objectivity, or at least I'll like to keep it that way as much as I can in this thread.

Cool. For me specs aren't the most important factor. It's the experience. But specs are the easiest way to compare. When looking at headphones I don't care about what it says on paper or the measurements. Just how they sound. Many of the stuff shown by charts and spec aren't perceivable by humans

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #353 of 399
Cool. For me specs aren't the most important factor. It's the experience. But specs are the easiest way to compare. When looking at headphones I don't care about what it says on paper or the measurements. Just how they sound. Many of the stuff shown by charts and spec aren't perceivable by humans

Well, spec on headphone and spec on amp are rather two different beast in my book. With headphone, spec only tells a small portion of the story. With amp however, spec does reveal much more.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #354 of 399
I have the FiiO 11 and have found it to be a great portable amp. It is a little underpowered for very low volume recordings, but that usually only happens on very old first generation cd's in my collection.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #355 of 399
I like topping nx1 which have 100 hours battery life.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #358 of 399
I'm planing to get Grado sr225e soon, looking for an amp that goes well with Grado sound..perhaps something that will reduce the brightness a little bit and increase the Soundstage

any suggestions?

im currently considering JDS labs cmoy..

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #359 of 399
  I'm planing to get Grado sr225e soon, looking for an amp that goes well with Grado sound..perhaps something that will reduce the brightness a little bit and increase the Soundstage

any suggestions?

im currently considering JDS labs cmoy..

Grado stuff is generally very easy to drive and doesn't need extra amping. However, as a general rule of thumb, Grado tends to sound best with tube amp, which mellows out its aggressiveness. That being said, I think C&C BH2 is probably the best amp to pair with a Grado, but it is also getting hard to come by unless you buy one from Taobao. JDS cmoy is okay, but not as good as BH2 as far as synergy is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back