The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Dec 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #316 of 399
Hello ClieOS,

Another question.  Should I connect the E11k to my iPhone 5 via the regular 3.5mm jack or should I get the 30-pin adapter and FiiO LOD cable for this?  

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #317 of 399
  Hello ClieOS,

Another question.  Should I connect the E11k to my iPhone 5 via the regular 3.5mm jack or should I get the 30-pin adapter and FiiO LOD cable for this?  

Thanks.

Can't really give you an precise answer as I don't own an iPhone 5. If its headphone-out is clean enough, then you might not notice much, if any improvement using the 30-pins adapter.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #318 of 399
I need something that can drive AKG K340 vintage. 400 Ohms & 94 dB/mW

I am on a budget and I'm not looking for anything with bells and whistles, really. Just want to be able to use my headphones.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #319 of 399

I am on a budget and I'm not looking for anything with bells and whistles, really. Just want to be able to use my headphones.

If you are keeping the budget under $100, then FiiO E11K might be your best option (provided you have a decent source with good output). Though if you push your budget a bit more, an FiiO E12 will be a better, and likely a safer choice.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #320 of 399

If you are keeping the budget under $100, then FiiO E11K might be your best option (provided you have a decent source with good output). Though if you push your budget a bit more, an FiiO E12 will be a better, and likely a safer choice.

My main sources would be my rooted Note 3 and my iPod Nano g6. With that information, what would you suggest?

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #321 of 399

My main sources would be my rooted Note 3 and my iPod Nano g6. With that information, what would you suggest?

E12 will likely to serve you better, given neither Note 3 nor Nano 6G is known to have high output themselves.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #322 of 399
High impedance and low sensitivity = major PITA to drive. I'm not sure a cheap portable amp will go very far with them. You'd be pretty much down to the FiiO and the O2, maybe second-hand.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #323 of 399

I think that ClieOS and Currawong are pointing you in the right direction I think with their E12 recommendation. If the K340's are anything like my K240 Sextetts, then the E12 will push them very nicely. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #325 of 399

Hello there, ClieOS and everyone!

Got a little question :)

Recently i bought AKG K240 Studio (55ohm, 91 dB/mW) for mixing purposes etc. I don't have proper amplifier yet. I have two audio interfaces: M-Audio M-Track (USB) and Infrasonic Deux (FireWire). Seems like M-Audio's headphone preamp is a total ****, cause when it comes to a deep bass (>40 Hz i presume) my K240's begin to distort and i must turn my volume knob almost at full to get more then average loudness level. Not much of distortion, but still, it is impossible to mix with that. I tried my Infrasonic - and i have much more volume "headroom" and don't get that distortion (but sometimes i do, but it is not a problem for mixing anymore). Seems like Infrasonic's preamp a little bit better. But Infrasonic is more laggy in terms of latency.

So, i can't find headphones preamp specifications for any of these interfaces. That's why i want to purchase HP amplifier. I would like to connect a preamp to M-Audio and then my headphones to preamp. What Output Power is minimum for my K240's? By minimum i mean the minimum when i will not get any distortion and will have a decent amount of volume "headroom".

I was looking at Schiit Magni 2's specs:

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel

Do i need that much for K240? But i think that Magni 2 is a bit expensive for me. I would like to get an amp for 60-80$. So, what's my preferrable Output Power? ))) And what would you recommend to me to buy? Thanks in advance

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #326 of 399
  Hello there, ClieOS and everyone!

Got a little question :)

Recently i bought AKG K240 Studio (55ohm, 91 dB/mW) for mixing purposes etc. I don't have proper amplifier yet. I have two audio interfaces: M-Audio M-Track (USB) and Infrasonic Deux (FireWire). Seems like M-Audio's headphone preamp is a total ****, cause when it comes to a deep bass (>40 Hz i presume) my K240's begin to distort and i must turn my volume knob almost at full to get more then average loudness level. Not much of distortion, but still, it is impossible to mix with that. I tried my Infrasonic - and i have much more volume "headroom" and don't get that distortion (but sometimes i do, but it is not a problem for mixing anymore). Seems like Infrasonic's preamp a little bit better. But Infrasonic is more laggy in terms of latency.

So, i can't find headphones preamp specifications for any of these interfaces. That's why i want to purchase HP amplifier. I would like to connect a preamp to M-Audio and then my headphones to preamp. What Output Power is minimum for my K240's? By minimum i mean the minimum when i will not get any distortion and will have a decent amount of volume "headroom".

I was looking at Schiit Magni 2's specs:

Do i need that much for K240? But i think that Magni 2 is a bit expensive for me. I would like to get an amp for 60-80$. So, what's my preferrable Output Power? ))) And what would you recommend to me to buy? Thanks in advance

For your application, a desktop amp is probably more suitable, and $99 is actually a pretty good price for desktop amp as most are priced well above $200. Trying to get a really cheap desktop amp might degrade the SQ of your setup rather than improving it, so I won't really recommend it. With Magni 2, at least we know it is fairly well regarded. If you really need to keep the budget low, I'll suggest you start hunting one down in the for sale forum.

How much power you need on the amp depends on the max voltage output of M-Track and Deux, but it is better to have more than comes up short.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #327 of 399
Lets presume this specs are true (actually, they are ni a class or a half down than my M-Audio, these specs are from m-audio fast track):
Line Outputs
  1. Max Output: +2dBV (1.2 Vrms)
  2. Signal to Noise Ratio: -105dB @ 48kHz (A-weighted)
  3. Dynamic Range: 105dB @ 48kHz (A-weighted)
  4. THD + N: 0.0039%, 1kHz, -1dBFS @ 48kHz
  5. Frequency Response: -0.15/+0.03dB, 22Hz to 22kHz @ 48kHz
  6. Crosstalk: -100dB, 1kHz, channel-to-channel
  7. Output Impedance: 240 ohms

​Will i be able to use Schiit Magni (not magni 2) with my audio interface?

Will it be normal or i will just degrade overall quality?

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #328 of 399

​Will i be able to use Schiit Magni (not magni 2) with my audio interface?

Will it be normal or i will just degrade overall quality?

Yes.

It shouldn't degrade the SQ.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #330 of 399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back