The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
May 29, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 219
For a start I would scavenge on a used Grado, a SR60 or similar. So you would have the shells and headband. The Koss drivers are about $20 where I live. Modding materials are almost next to nothing (some stiff plastic, felt or foam. cotton balls).
If you find you like what you hear, you could buy some L-cushs and soft leather (should be around $40).
Finally the wood shells. I would only buy those if I liked the sound and preferred it over other closed sets. As I said in my first post I had some unused shells lying around from previous projects, so I did not have to invest in making or buying them. The price of the wood shells could be quite high, depending on the wood species and artisan quality ( > $100). I made the wood shells myself, so I paid only the wood price.

May 31, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #19 of 219
wow, interesting. can't wait to see where this thread goes

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #20 of 219
Have you considered sending these in to Tyll at InnerFidelity or Purrin to have them measured? I'd love to see how they turn out.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 219
Quote:
Have you considered sending these in to Tyll at InnerFidelity or Purrin to have them measured? I'd love to see how they turn out.

If he is in the US, that might be a great idea. The shipping cost from Austria though... 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 219
Send them to Purrin for measurements!!!

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 219
These headphone look awesome. With all the time you spent making them, they'd better sound good.
If they sound good, you could sell them like hot cakes.
I  like the ksc75 sound, but I  think the housing of drivers is suboptimal.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #26 of 219
Jun 2, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #27 of 219
I am focussing on the closed design, not so much on optimizing the KSC-75 performance itself. That can come later.

As for measurements, I was counting on you people in the States(the lostMIDrange especially) to build a set of Stratokossters and sending them in, since it would be considerably cheaper. I contacted Tyll and Purrin, and Purrin would be ready to measure them. If nobody else does, I will send them in, just for the greater good.

If measurements prove satisfactory, one can always improve and finetune the setup by applying damping and dampening schemes. If measurements tell me that the idea is crap, then I can move on.

I am not interested in selling any of my sets. I could easily put Magnum drivers in the wood shells and sell them at a good price. But I am interested in creating a new setup and if it proves good, you might copy it and take as much pleasure in it as I do. That's what I think a forum like this and especially modding are all about.

All I can say is that to my ears it sounds great, especially with the leather-lined L-chushs. I often switch from the Mags or HE-500s to the StratoKOSSters and I love them. Plus, I can use them without disturbing anybody nearby, because it isolates very well.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #29 of 219
Woah strange drop there, makes for an interesting listen. Probably the hate it or love it crowd

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #30 of 219
Quote:
Woah strange drop there, makes for an interesting listen. Probably the hate it or love it crowd

Purrin said that the 4khz dip was a measurement artifact. It probably doesn't have nearly that type of dip, looking at the waterfall CSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back