The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
Oct 22, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #211 of 219
Update: I swapped out the KSC75 drivers for Sportapro drivers, which have a different housing and are less on the treble. It is now perfect to my tastes! I'm planning on repurposing the KSC75's on a new KOSS closed cup woodie design...

An argument with my brother led to a broken pair of xb950AP. So instead of throwing them out, I thought, hey let me stick some KOSS drivers in there. Ksc75 Kramer modded, sporta pro, and ur40. Long story short, only the ur40 ones (i think ksc35 with titanium coating ended up working to high volume levels (with eq'ing 60hz and below a few db say 5db). The other drivers buzzed too much at high volume (though when i had them in i didn't have them in with final tweaks which worked with ur40 drivers. So it may work. They don't work closed as the KOSS need to breathe. So I created a MA900ish gap (which occurs when you just use one screw tight (other side pops up a bit)) The orange thing is memory foam just to close up some of the gap.
Anywa with a little tinkering the Koss snaps in and is angled! But plenty of tinkering and tweaking (KOSS teeth need to be removed for clips etc. . I went through all the drivers. But this is a mind numbing hobby (that is, from the pains of life :p)

Do not attempt.

As for sound... about the same really as stock (light listening, youtube, etc), musicality of KOSS still there, except compared to clips (ksc35/75) its waay more comfy. Its not a GIANT KILLER lol Will consider grado cups in future.

20171022_190315.jpg

Happy Listening :D

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #212 of 219
This thread has been dead a while...I just recently made these for my daughter:

31287348_1994212350829366_6817909928385052672_n.jpg

They are an Auvio-style headband, KSC75 drivers and cable, generic leather pads I found on Amazon, and cups made with Padauk and Purpleheart. The inlay is Abalone shell we brought back from our last family vacation. They needed vent holes, which I drilled in an unobtrusive spot mostly hidden by the headband, and a little cotton in the cups behind the drivers to sound balanced and pleasing. She loves them...

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #217 of 219
That's one long honeymoon you're taking, she must be one heck of a honey.

Haha! I was gone for quite a while... did get back, though. I have a confession, though... I tried the Koss drivers, and the pads that I have on the design actually push the drivers too far from the ear and it kills all of the bass that is a part of the StratoKOSSter experience. I'm now experimenting with different drivers, but it seems that 100% closed (sealed, pretty much...) needs a bassport :frowning2:

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #219 of 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back