The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,322 of 2,080
  Got mine two days ago second hand for €35 (~$47) and I must say they were pretty much the filthiest thing I'd ever seen haha. Cleaned everything except for the drivers and threw cupfoams + headband pads away (afraid of contacting some weird disease...). There is quite a bit of dirt on the diaphragms, I carefully removed the biggest hairs and filth off of them, but some still remains on there. Anyways the headband is missing one of the "Made in Ireland" plates that seal of it's ends. Two odd things I noticed is that both drivers have a black line running over them and I can't find that anywhere on the internet and  the right driver has some of the thin red wire protruding out of the BACK side of the pins; you can actually see the wires looking through the grille. 
Even with all that is wrong on these headphones I can hear some serious potential hidden somewhere deep, and actually already sort of enjoy the sound. They sound quite different from the HD600's I've tried so far, but I think that's because they're lacking cup foams and the earpads are essentially 2D. 
I'm gonna replace those earpads, foams and headbandpadding. Planning to repaint the headband as well since the paint is worn out in some places. I'm still deciding whether to get the 650 padding or the 600 padding, the latter is actually more expensive here. The real problem, though, is the headband end plate; I can't seem to find them anywhere, and I don't plan on spending a fortune on a new 650 headband when the one I have is in excellent condition. Does anybody know where I could try and look for these?

Is this the black line you were talking about?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-2nmuAqLgqYo/SQq_wGGAKSI/AAAAAAAAB5s/LBxMGPP92Ms/s128/%25257B6B2DD3DE-938B-4E75-9581-C66C76AEA211%25257D.JPG
They are normal and claimed to be a pretty good earlier version of HD580. It's worth the refurbishments even if adding up the price for new parts. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,323 of 2,080
Sep 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,324 of 2,080
So apart from the headband piece that's missing they're refurbished now; new earpads, 650 headbandpad, cleaned out(apart from the drivers of course). I don't know what's either 'wrong' with me or these but they don't sound anything like the HD600's and 650's I ever listened to. For starters: there's no veil and they kick butt on rock and faster music. Compared to the Senns I've heard before this doesn't sound at all as though it is lacking energy like me early in the morning. 
Well whatever's going on here it's fine by me, these cans do everything right the other Senns will while not being as lazy doing the job!

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,326 of 2,080
  Has anyone replaced the drivers in their HD580's themselves? Just wondering if it is a difficult thing to do or could most anybody do it without messing anything up.

It's extremely easy. Pull the grill off, then pry up the part of the driver assembly that you plug the cable into. They pop right out.

Pry up here near the 2 gold screw things

TADAAAAA

EDIT: you have to have the cable off to do this.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,327 of 2,080
Yes anyone can do it, but I had to apply some well calculated force to the lips holding the drivers in place. I heard they can break and took care not to put too much strain on them. I pried them away one by one eventually.

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,328 of 2,080
Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to leave them alone for now. I was hearing some distortion on real low bass the other day, but I think it was just the recording, I have listened to a lot of other albums since then and they all sound fine. I am still wondering why I like listening to these so much, they do something to the music I just plain like, but I am not sure what it is exactly. Probably trying to over analyze stuff again...as usual.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #1,329 of 2,080
I found the plug for the left driver wobbles more than the one on right driver and the sound may cut in and out. Later i did a comparison between the two plugs and found that the two pins on the right plug are not in parallel like the one on left but there was an angle, which may explain why the right plug is more stable. I pried on the left plug to make the pins wider on the tip. You know what, it helped a lot.  

I am also thinking of replacing the stock cable with HD650 cable, whose plugs are said to be by design more fit to the socket. I also wonder how it will change the sound, in a good way or worse, because i find that vocal is a bit dry and harsh compared to my other headphones, sometimes bright. It is the opposite to the impressions a lot of reviews say about its mids. I don't know if the HD650 cable will tame the harshness a little bit.  Could anybody who owns both cables do a comparison on HD580?  Thanks!

PS: My hd580 is a later production version. Drivers have black paper filter and a copper ring in it. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,330 of 2,080
  I found the plug for the left driver wobbles more than the one on right driver and the sound may cut in and out. Later i did a comparison between the two plugs and found that the two pins on the right plug are not in parallel like the one on left but there was an angle, which may explain why the right plug is more stable. I pried on the left plug to make the pins wider on the tip. You know what, it helped a lot.  

I am also thinking of replacing the stock cable with HD650 cable, whose plugs are said to be by design more fit to the socket. I also wonder how it will change the sound, in a good way or worse, because i find that vocal is a bit dry and harsh compared to my other headphones, sometimes bright. It is the opposite to the impressions a lot of reviews say about its mids. I don't know if the HD650 cable will tame the harshness a little bit.  Could anybody who owns both cables do a comparison on HD580?  Thanks!

PS: My hd580 is a later production version. Drivers have black paper filter and a copper ring in it. 

I have both HD650 and HD580 cables. To my ears, there is no audible difference between these two. What other headphones are you comparing the midrange of HD580?  

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,331 of 2,080
I have both HD650 and HD580 cables. To my ears, there is no audible difference between these two. What other headphones are you comparing the midrange of HD580?  

My other headphones are beyer dt250, grado ms1, k702, mb quart qp220. The first two have foward mids. The latter two are believed to have neutral mids, not forward, but to my ears, they present vocal even more naturally than hd580.
So I don't think it is a synergy issue. It may be the sound signature after all. The bass or low mid is thick and warm, but mid and upper mid in my opinion is lean. Highs are bright and sibilant for some recordings. To me, it is more like dt880 with more bass.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,335 of 2,080
  Just called about ordering the HD600 Grills and was told they were $22.58 each. Quite a jump from the $10-12 quoted earlier in this thread.

Anyone order any recently and can comment on their pricing?

If you think that's bad..I tried to order a pair of K601 grills which are about 2" wide and they're $20 EACH.
They're not even made out of metal.

LOL I wonder if there is an audible difference between HD-600 and 650 grills. Probably .5% of a difference, which I can definitely hear. Ok, not really..

IMO stock HD-580 grills sound best.

BTW anyone know if the HD-580 and HD-600 cables are the same? Pretty sure they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back