The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,307 of 2,080
Quote:

Already spoken for.
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,311 of 2,080
Quote:
Yeah that is a good deal. And someone knew it right away. haha

What's funny is that the HD-580 was once going for $150 new right?
Still a good deal with all the extras.

If Sennheiser re-released the HD-580 they'd have a hard time selling HD-600s!
No way Sennheiser would ever release a headphone like the HD-580 at $200 these days.
Most of their headphones are overpriced. HD-598 included. $150 for the 558 might be OK.
HD-650 for $500 makes me sick! Not that anyone pays that.

I've been wanting to try the 558 since it might have more forward upper mids compared to the 598.

BTW I swear that my first HD-580 came with a 1/4" plug. Must have been one of the dark screened versions.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,312 of 2,080
Yeah I agree, they wouldn't be able to sell the 600. I have disassembled my hd555 to do a couple mods and they have a TON of screw holding them together, but when I took my 580 apart to paint it had...NO SCREWS! I am willing to bet that Sennheiser bites a big bullet having a low budget line of headphones such as the 558 and 598. A lot more production time goes into them. Another thing they have against them is that there has to be a signal and ground routes through the headband of all their headphones other than the 580, 600, 650, 700, and 800 for the right driver. So that drives production costs up. I bet the profit margin on the high end headphones is something like 2000% where as the lower end would be probably near 300-400%. So Sennheiser, bring back the 580!

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,314 of 2,080
Quote:
I simply love hd580.

Incredible headphone isn't it ? I will sold mine because of my HD800 arrival but ( as for my previous K501) i know i shouldn't do that. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,317 of 2,080
Quote:
Have you received the hd800? Happy? :)

Definitely Yes. The HD800 is a fantastic Headphone especially for classical.  Despite the fact I've not yet a good system to drive it (My Dac is way too dry and energetic and matched perfectly well with my K501 but not with my HD800) I'm really wowed by what I can hear from HD800 . Fastness, transparency, details , soundstage ( and bass ! ) are impressive. A bit bright IMO for popular genre like Pop/rock/Metal but perfect for Classical / Jazz / soundtracks / Ambient or downtemp electronica and all well recorded music . These headphones are very unforgiving and absolutely need well recorded music otherwise your ears could bleed a bit :wink: 

Nevertheless, I must say i don't need such an impressive tool to enjoy music. HD580 is less airy and detailed for sure but I'm sure I'don't need anything more indeed. This Old senn or my previous K501 can be found to more or less 100€ . Theses headphones are definitely the best bang for the bucks I ever listened to. I'm just mad enough to spend more money for a bit more audiphile refinement and detail but I shouldn't.  K501 is gone to a friend of mine who's really passionnated  but not  wealthy enough to purchase expensive Hi end gear. I will do the same for HD580.  both K501 and HD580 are competitive with far more expensive gear in my opinion and they're far more tolerant and better all rounder than nowadays flagships . 

With a bit more 200€ and a bit luck ( or patience) we can get K501 + HD580  and I think we can cover all bases to listen music with this two cans. 

My 2 cents . 

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,319 of 2,080
  Any of you 580 lovers have any experience with the Little Dot 1+? I'm considering buying one for my Grados and would like to know that it can handle my 580s as well.

Thanks,
Joe

I would think it would sound great, I am using the Little Dot MkIII with mine and that is by far the best amp I have ever owned for headphone listening.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,320 of 2,080
Got mine two days ago second hand for €35 (~$47) and I must say they were pretty much the filthiest thing I'd ever seen haha. Cleaned everything except for the drivers and threw cupfoams + headband pads away (afraid of contacting some weird disease...). There is quite a bit of dirt on the diaphragms, I carefully removed the biggest hairs and filth off of them, but some still remains on there. Anyways the headband is missing one of the "Made in Ireland" plates that seal of it's ends. Two odd things I noticed is that both drivers have a black line running over them and I can't find that anywhere on the internet and  the right driver has some of the thin red wire protruding out of the BACK side of the pins; you can actually see the wires looking through the grille. 
Even with all that is wrong on these headphones I can hear some serious potential hidden somewhere deep, and actually already sort of enjoy the sound. They sound quite different from the HD600's I've tried so far, but I think that's because they're lacking cup foams and the earpads are essentially 2D. 
I'm gonna replace those earpads, foams and headbandpadding. Planning to repaint the headband as well since the paint is worn out in some places. I'm still deciding whether to get the 650 padding or the 600 padding, the latter is actually more expensive here. The real problem, though, is the headband end plate; I can't seem to find them anywhere, and I don't plan on spending a fortune on a new 650 headband when the one I have is in excellent condition. Does anybody know where I could try and look for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back