The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #1,036 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do anyone ever listen without the grill covers on? I have done from time to time and I cant say I notice a difference. I prefer the stock 580 covers over the 600 ones. They have a unique, almost art deco style to them. As for sound quality, I can see one being better than the other. Try listening without the grills and see if you notice anything.

I don't know... whether they make a difference, or not. I assumed they provided less air flow restriction... but... maybe not enough to tell any difference in their sound. I just prefer the "look" of the HD580s with the HD600 grills and the Beyer head band cover - the best looking Senns from my perspective, except possibly for the O60/O90s.

And... after... I found that mine sound identical to the "new" version HD650s I had... and... are the best sounding Senns I've had... I decided, my modded HD580s were a huge bargain at $180.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #1,038 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you find the beyer headband wrap?

cheers

Mine came on the phones.

But... you can buy it from Beyer direct. I don't know the model number. But... if you do a search, on this forum you'll find it. Or... you can just email Beyer and ask them. It's not expensive - about $15 I think? Though, you do have to remove the Senn pads to apply it.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #1,039 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine came on the phones.

But... you can buy it from Beyer direct. I don't know the model number. But... if you do a search, on this forum you'll find it. Or... you can just email Beyer and ask them. It's not expensive - about $15 I think? Though, you do have to remove the Senn pads to apply it.

cool thanks for the info. it does look pretty cool!

May 11, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #1,041 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the HD580 work decently unamped? Straight from the iPod? Or at least with a FiiO E3?

it will work unamped and out of the e3 and should still provide a satisfactory listening experience. with a proper amp tho, the hd580's really shine.

if you are on a budget, getting a pair of hd580's first and enjoying them without an amp is very possible. just know that when you do decide to get an amp, your hd580's will benefit very much and it will be like having new headphones again.

May 11, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #1,042 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it will work unamped and out of the e3 and should still provide a satisfactory listening experience. with a proper amp tho, the hd580's really shine.

if you are on a budget, getting a pair of hd580's first and enjoying them without an amp is very possible. just know that when you do decide to get an amp, your hd580's will benefit very much and it will be like having new headphones again.

Great help! That was exactly what I was planning to do... Look for a pair of HD580's and then save up for a decent amp.

Just for future reference, what budget portable amps work well with the HD580?

May 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #1,046 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by mutzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just joined the club. was wondering if i could wash the pads. the one that sits on your skull.

I've never tried to wash mine, but if I did: I'd take a wet washcloth and either put a little liquid laundry detergent or some Resolve carpet and upholstery cleaner on it. Blot the headband cushions with the washcloth and then let it air-dry overnight.

May 15, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #1,048 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never really listened to any music and been disappointed with my 580.

Big x2 for that statement!! I listen to my HD580's on just about everything and they are well suited as a fantastic all-around set-o-cans.

This is something you don't read too much about, and this holds true for the 580/600/650 Senns, but I do a lot of listening while stretched out on a sofa with my head resting on a cushion. The oval shape of the cups makes them better for this, because round cups hit the cushion and want to push them forward on my head. The Senn's narrow shape keeps them positioned on my head better.
I'm not all that hard to please when it comes to headphones. I can overlook weaknesses as long as they are not really annoying (or fatiguing) and comfort is really a priority for me. The Sennheisers are at least as comfortable as anything else I own, if not more.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,050 of 2,080
As I may have noted earlier in this thread... they're especially good with... the SA8001, or M24 CDP/DACs and Millet MiniMax, or WA6 amps... and a silver cable.

So... much so... that I doubt you'd ever want to upgrade - they do everything so well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back