The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #166 of 2,080
I was underwhelmed with these, my first Hi-Fi cans at first listen tru a Dennon reciever, w/squeesebox source ... Of course; In comparison to the home set up of Klispch>Bi-Amped Digital 30watt monoblocks/100watt Digital JVC>Foreplay>Squeesebox being my source. A nicely loud,dynamic,warm mids with wonderful lowend...
Enter, Garys PA2V2 arrival today, a week to the day since my research here concluded I should order one....
Well, this set up now bests my home setup as would be expected, in terms of centering the sweet spot at the keyboard and overall simply better resolution than can be achieved IMHO with in room varriables tinkering and tweeking my sound, what seemed to be, every other song. Part of what is fun about this hobby, other than the obvious (to me, is love for the musical art) is something to practice this obsessive nature I suppose.
biggrin.gif

Anywhoo... The 580 experience now coupled w/PA2V2 offers to me a wonderful reference point with which to both enjoy the arts fully and to try to more closely emulate this, I fear, with my home system, at a far greater investment cost .

Of course, the PA2V2 is a nice tied me over, until it will be relegated to mobil use, once my Meier HeadFive #53 arrives.....
Both my thanx to Head-Fi and its posters ....
580smile.gif

But.........Darn you head-Fi.....!!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #167 of 2,080
Had a listen again this morning.

Still fairly impressed with it. The only problem really is a source problem - crap cd's really sound crap in my setup. I am pretty shattered that Queens "Day at the Races" sounds like crap.

More critically I'm getting the impressions -
* The 580's are slightly sluggish when it comes to any real attack
* Cable replacements/upgrades (i have upgraded to the latest Cardas cable) havn't really had much affect.
* Although maybe a great combo in the M^3+580, I might need something abit more "musical" amp wise. - Is it possible to have musical without sluggish?

Although negative, I am very pleased with them in general. I feel that their whole is greater than their sum.

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #168 of 2,080
Well I doubt I hold the record but I'm probably pretty close
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm still using my HD-580 II' s I bought from Headroom with their original Supreme amp back in December 1993. The headband and stock cable wore out and have been replaced but the cans themselves still sing
smily_headphones1.gif

I flirted with getting a pair of HD-650s but just never acted on it.

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #169 of 2,080
hey guys,

i'm in the process of writing a review for my setup at the moment - but just some initial things -

In all honesty - I'm not too impressed.

The music just doesn't get my foot tapping. The sound is "coherent" but not exciting or fun. What makes it so is the strange soundstage. The drums sound fine up front, but the bass guitar seems somewhat recessed.

What definately struggles is Guitars. Without a doubt guitars take a HUGE backseat and really spoils the enjoyment of alot of music.

Good things though - I changed opamps from a AD8610 to a AD843 and noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. More attack - more details. But the guitars were still boring!

I am seriously considering changing my setup - maybe going some MS Pro's or Grado RS-1's with a small PINT amp. The only thing is - my SR-80's kind of do grate.

Do the grado series become smoother the higher up you go??

I just want to get my foot tapping again! Anyone have any recommendations?

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #170 of 2,080
Ok,

These headphones are really starting to sound sweeter. But they still don't have the attack I am looking for.

I am hopefully going to remedy this by picking up an Eddie Current EC-01.

With my current setup I am really warming up to the sheer smoothness. I was listening to John Legend - Get Lifted and it just had AWESOME presentation.

Seriously, the can is just so god damned comfortable and the sound is kind of almost there. It's burning it right now at home - so we will see how it sounds when I get home to have a quick listen.

I think I might also try some AC/DC / The Darkness tonight and see how it all plays out.

Peace out!

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #171 of 2,080
Try some Guns N' Roses, Alice In Chains, and perhaps some of that new Wolfmother to get some real rawk out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #172 of 2,080
Hahaha.

I was listening to Queen's "A Day At The Races" yesterday and it was fairly different to my original impressions.

2. You Take My Breath Away
I really like this track. Freddy's voice is upfront and centre. The recording exagerates its presence but you feel like you are "right there". It's a very personal experience. I could literally feel myself in the recording studio.

3. Long Away
Brian May's voice isn't as strong as Freddy's and you can tell in the mixing of this song. It "works" but it is not very exciting - even though it sounds like a fairly accurate representation.

4. The Millionaire Waltz
5. You & I Listen Listen
6. Somebody To Love Listen Listen

The rest of these songs are the same(ish).

They literally show HINTS of brilliance. HINTS of aggressiveness, HINTS of intimacy, but overall it kind of falls flat. I want ATTACK. Some speed! Some intimacy.

Maybe the Senn is not the phone for me.

ONce again - I will be picking up a EC-01 and we will see how that plays out compared to the M^3. Hopefully its supposed aggressive nature it will kick some ass.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #173 of 2,080
What is the cheaper amplifier for a HD580 that would make some sort of spherical soundstage to appear? I feel like living in a two straight lines world with me in their intersection. Would be a m3 enough? Or there is nothing to do and that's simply the 3-blog-Senn-world?

EDIT: Yes, this is an appreciation thread, I know: I appreciate my HD580. It is my main headphone atm
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #174 of 2,080
I know I'm a month late, but this thread's been going for 10 months so nobody should mind
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my HD580's! People say that you need to stick them into a good source to drive them, but they sound better than my SR60's straight outta the iPod.

They just sound so sweet and pretty =).

They were my favorite thing to listen to until I purcahsed my Dynaudio monitors and firewire sound card, but that setup was close to $2k...

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #175 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfie
What is the cheaper amplifier for a HD580 that would make some sort of spherical soundstage to appear? I feel like living in a two straight lines world with me in their intersection. Would be a m3 enough? Or there is nothing to do and that's simply the 3-blog-Senn-world?

EDIT: Yes, this is an appreciation thread, I know: I appreciate my HD580. It is my main headphone atm
smily_headphones1.gif

Try anything in the HeadRoom line. Crossfeed will correct the "3-blog-Senn-world"

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.............I miss the 580's. Great can for the money. They really sing with an Equinox cable.......Definitely one of my favorite headphones.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #176 of 2,080
I thought I would make a return to this thread.

In all honesty I have forgotten all of the posts I made in this thread!
confused.gif

Ok - so I have been listening to the HD580's through an M^3. I am now on the opa627's - I find these opamps are THE BEST for the 580's. They do make them slightly more laid back but there is more detail (HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?).

In all honesty, it's kind of hard not to love these headphones. After listening for a few months you kind of fall into the sound, the comfortness of the phones and just all round pleasantness of the sound. I think the whole of it is greater than it's parts.

It sounds coherent and together. Although it doesnt go AWESOME **** BBQ THOSE GUITARS ARE MAKING MY EARS BLEED WITH AWESOMENESS, it does present a nice style of rock. I have been finding I have been listening to alot of Hip-Hop which these cans excel at, some soul, funk, and classical - thing's that benefit from the large soundstage. I even plugged them into my TV setup and they sounded quite good and detailed.

With all those praises I also have to throw in some negative ones. This headphone is not my "ideal sound". And because of this fact it is penalised by myself personally - although it may be perfect for others.

My "ideal sound" would have SLIGHTLY lesser soundstage, with the ability for more immediate midrange in the guitars so you can hear the power of a chord being strummed. I want to hear more details such as during Eric Clapton's live work, if he is picking with his thumb or using a nail. I feel as if the headphones presentation stop me from hearing this.

Last night I tried my 325i's... only wore them for 10 minutes. It felt as (as someone else here has already stated) - that I was IN the guitar cabinet, not listening to it. It's as if there is no soundstage.

ARGH Headphones! Why can't there be an effective middle man!?

Sorry bout the rant. I love the hd580's.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #178 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I think some HD600 grilles will pop up on the FS forums from time to time, but maybe if you drop Sennheiser an email and tell them you have dented grills that need replaced, maybe they'll send you some for a fee? Also, has anyone tried the HD580 with HD650 grilles? Aren't the HD650 grilles made to a higher spec than HD600?

I just ordered a pair of HD600 grilles from sennheiser for $19 and change shipped. Once I get my PA2V2, get used to the sound and get the grills, I can give a comparison to the HD580 grills vs the HD600 grills. I figured what the heck concidering 3rd party HD600 grolls go for more then $20.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #179 of 2,080
as stated before in my posts, the 580 is the Senn I keep around now, and used to be all about Sennheiser, tried them all it seems..these are something special

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #180 of 2,080
I'm enjoying my HD580 more now that Ive socket modded the foam. That foam sheet is the reason for a good portion of the "veil". I tried the de-foam mod (removing the foam all together) and it really smeared the image. I think the foam sheet does something to reduce reflections and other resonant artifacts, so I just socketed-out a small circle right over the driver cone.

I have some HD600 grilles on the way, and have some re-coloring mods in mind. With the HD650 cable they'll be ALL [size=large]BLACK[/size]

Pics coming soon of my darth sennheiser.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back