The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #151 of 2,080
The best thing I can suggest is patience and a watchful eye on the FS/T forum. It took me a month before I found someone that was selling a pair of HD580's for me to try out (emphasis on "try out", originally I wasn't sure if I'd like them, but I decided to take the risk and audition based on my initial listenings of the HD650's, courtesy of Remilard and Born2Bwire). The funniest part was that one of the sellers I contacted said he sold his pair a year or so ago
smily_headphones1.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 22, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #152 of 2,080
Oistrakh said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee
received my HD580s after buying them on eBay for about $100 used.
/QUOTE]
how did you get them for that little? Whenever I search for HD580 on ebay, its all "buyitnow" and all around 160 or more!

Pretty much just patience. One night I did a search on ebay for HD580 and saw somebody selling his 1 year old used ones for $95 Buy it now. the auction had been up for less than 2 hours and so naturally I pounced on it.

there is one on ebay right now for $75 with "crackling problems.' It sounds to me like it needs to have the cable replaced, you can order the 650 cable from sennheiser for $12 + shipping, then you would have yourself a very nice pair of HD580s. Or it could be something wrong with the driver, in which case you'd need to spend $40-50 on a replacement driver from sennheiser...as always, caveat emptor...

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #153 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee
there is one on ebay right now for $75 with "crackling problems.' It sounds to me like it needs to have the cable replaced, you can order the 650 cable from sennheiser for $12 + shipping, then you would have yourself a very nice pair of HD580s. Or it could be something wrong with the driver, in which case you'd need to spend $40-50 on a replacement driver from sennheiser...as always, caveat emptor...

no, I'm not going to buy a defected HD580

and at audio lab in cambridge, they sell the HD580 new for 250 bucks!

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #154 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
no, I'm not going to buy a defected HD580

and at audio lab in cambridge, they sell the HD580 new for 250 bucks!

Well it just sounds like it's a defective cable, which from what I have read on here was a common problem with the HD580s.

you can get them for 150 shipped from JR.com

May 14, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #155 of 2,080
Yay, I re-bought Senn 580's that I used to own for about 7 years! What classic headphones. I'm listening to them through an 0404 and MINT amp it sounds incredibly good!

May 14, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #156 of 2,080
both hd580 and hd600 ( which I'm using more then a bit lately ) , recabled ( in my case with kimber cable ) , are still less capable about fine tune and nuances then a basic hd650 , but I overall prefer them to the hd650 still fot the more uncolored presentation , and they are a nice spot when I have to dismiss the Grado ps-1 , giving a lil more bright and spacy relaxed presentation .
By the way , even if hd600(580) is not on the same level of ps-1 for more then 1 sound reason my recable hd600 doesn't sound far dissimilar from my ps-1 on a good rig .. ; there's less bass impact and definition , less detail , but the nice and more relaxed slightly different stage are nice changes to have at hands some time .

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #157 of 2,080
I just received my HD580's here at work.

Snuck a quick listen to them from my ipod - Plistening to some hip-hop, metal & classical.

I will need to have a better listen when I get home on my home rig, but first impressions are very positive!!

Strangely enough - although I only listened to Verdi for 30 seconds, I could tell these babies had a sweet spot for classical.

Also suprisingly - the iPod drove these bad boys to a fairly reasonable level
blink.gif

Anyways, I will post a report later tonight after a longer listen!!!

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #158 of 2,080
Received HD580 (with hd600 grill and hd650 cable) yesterday. So far my experiences are generally positive (not as fun with rock but otherwise good). Due to a series of situations I'm without a dedicated amp though so they're being amped out of the headphone jack of my crappo sony receiver. Depressing.

I'm hoping to get them amped out of a class A tubey soonish. Must resist cable upgrades!

Some time in the future I'll do a more extensive comparison against the Alessandro MS-2. I've done a few amp minreviews for headfi and its embarrasing to only be able to review them with MS-2 (not the most amp dependant phone on earth), so I'll be glad to add the HD580 to the mix soon for a good comparison!

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #159 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekwinix
I just received my HD580's here at work.
Snuck a quick listen to them from my ipod - Plistening to some hip-hop, metal & classical.
I will need to have a better listen when I get home on my home rig, but first impressions are very positive!!
Strangely enough - although I only listened to Verdi for 30 seconds, I could tell these babies had a sweet spot for classical.
Also suprisingly - the iPod drove these bad boys to a fairly reasonable level
blink.gif

Anyways, I will post a report later tonight after a longer listen!!!

Nice! My Karma also drives HD580's to quite reasonable volumes. Not overbearing, but certainly not lacking either. But of course, the 'phones need juice, even low priced ampage can do wonders with them, from what I've heard.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
Received HD580 (with hd600 grill and hd650 cable) yesterday. So far my experiences are generally positive (not as fun with rock but otherwise good). Due to a series of situations I'm without a dedicated amp though so they're being amped out of the headphone jack of my crappo sony receiver. Depressing.

Sucks, eh? That's how it is with me sometimes as well, having to use my reciever to power my 580's. It's a Sherwood RD7103, and I imagine it probably sounds less shrill than most Sony gear I've heard out there, and isn't necessarily a bad match for my 'phones in a pinch.

Man, I love it when my threads get revived all of a sudden
smily_headphones1.gif

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #160 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Man, I love it when my threads get revived all of a sudden
smily_headphones1.gif

Because the HD580 are the real bargain in headphones atm. I have bought them a week ago on Ebay for 104 € new, after I owned them in last '90. I didn't remember the were so great, even if they ask so much for a good amplification to reveal themselves for true.

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #161 of 2,080
Hey Guys, Just plugged in the HD580's home setup.

The build quality is good. I bought a B-Stock off eBay and besides about 2mm of paint off the Sennheiser logo off the band these 'phones are perfect.

Comfort-wise they are slightly tight, but I'm sure they will climatise to my big head
biggrin.gif

Sound wise is a slight mixed bag. I tried a few albums - here are some impressions.

Queen - A Day At The Races: Probably the flatest sound I've heard. Very "veiled". Didn't excite me too much. This is probably because of the crap quality of the recording.

Outkast - Stankonia: One word. Slamin'. Maybe it's in the mixing of the cd - i.e. the exaggerated high's and bass, but this really works. DON'T EVERYBODY LIKE THE SMELL OF GASOLINE?

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium: This cd was ROCKING. Beatiful sounding, really good attack. L'via L'Vaquez was outstanding.

Tchaikovksy - Nutcracker Suit: Very nice for classical. I am a very big fan. Sound really magical.

So there you have INITIAL impressions. I doubt these cans or the Cardas cable are burnt in yet, but already I know there is something special about these bad boys.

I also realised how much a difference a well recorded cd will make
580smile.gif

ROCK ON

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #162 of 2,080
Rats! I want a Cardas cable for my HD580's so bad right now, since I've never been able to test the difference between them and stock for myself. I live in the same state where Cardas cables are made, and will be moving to Port Orford, Oregon- which is roughly half an hour from Bandon. I could literally go there and pick them up from the factory, but I don't know if they have a shop I could actually visit in person. Hmmm... I wonder?

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #163 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Rats! I want a Cardas cable for my HD580's so bad right now, since I've never been able to test the difference between them and stock for myself. I live in the same state where Cardas cables are made, and will be moving to Port Orford, Oregon- which is roughly half an hour from Bandon. I could literally go there and pick them up from the factory, but I don't know if they have a shop I could actually visit in person. Hmmm... I wonder?

600smile.gif
Abe

Go around reguarely and check their bins

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #164 of 2,080
Hey guys,

I'm doing A/B testing right now and can't tell the difference between stock and Cardas cable. I don't think I believe in burn in too much but we will see how it goes...

Another thing - my Cardas cable is actually grey with black plastic covers with the Cardas name in Gold. Is this a different cable to the blue cable i see around?

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #165 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekwinix
Hey guys,

I'm doing A/B testing right now and can't tell the difference between stock and Cardas cable. I don't think I believe in burn in too much but we will see how it goes...

Another thing - my Cardas cable is actually grey with black plastic covers with the Cardas name in Gold. Is this a different cable to the blue cable i see around?

The grey cable are the new ones. The older ones are blue... to my understanding

I've heard conflicting reports as to whether there is a change in sonics between the new and old models. Good luck with your testing. Be sure to post up an impression whether you notice a difference or not in the end. After all, the reviews and impressions we hear are generally only by people who like the gear.. people who dont like it just move along silently

I'm not a big beleiver in cables, but one thing I'll say is that you should do some extended listening with the cardas (a week or so) and then switch back to the stock cable. Switching back and forth can be a hard way to listen to subtle differences, but if you get used to the sound of one item (by listening to it for a while) then there's a chance you'll notice a bigger difference when you switch back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back