The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,381 of 2,080
Thanks to this thread, I pulled the trigger on some HD 580's I found on kijiji for $80.  So far really liking them (no amp, using headphone out on my Outlaw RR2150).  I have already boxed up my HD518's I just bought so I can return them (they weren't bad, but trying to have only one headphone of a particular type).

The earpads are pretty worn though.  The seller did a DIY re-foam (I wonder if he got the idea from Head-Fi) but the actual velor material looks pretty rough.  Was thinking of getting the earpads for $30 from eBay (Hong Kong seller)... has anyone gone that route?

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,382 of 2,080
  Thanks to this thread, I pulled the trigger on some HD 580's I found on kijiji for $80.  So far really liking them (no amp, using headphone out on my Outlaw RR2150).  I have already boxed up my HD518's I just bought so I can return them (they weren't bad, but trying to have only one headphone of a particular type).

The earpads are pretty worn though.  The seller did a DIY re-foam (I wonder if he got the idea from Head-Fi) but the actual velor material looks pretty rough.  Was thinking of getting the earpads for $30 from eBay (Hong Kong seller)... has anyone gone that route?

I purchased a set of earpads straight from Sennheiser for my HD 600s.  I paid around $45, I think.  Included in the package are new foam disks (that cover the drivers) as well. 

The HD 580 is a premium pair of headphones that deserve factory OEM parts.  Just pay the extra $15 and buy them straight from Sennheiser.  Plus, you don't have to wait 3 weeks to have them shipped from China.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,383 of 2,080
  I purchased a set of earpads straight from Sennheiser for my HD 600s.  I paid around $45, I think.  Included in the package are new foam disks (that cover the drivers) as well. 

The HD 580 is a premium pair of headphones that deserve factory OEM parts.  Just pay the extra $15 and buy them straight from Sennheiser.  Plus, you don't have to wait 3 weeks to have them shipped from China.

True, true.  The Sennheiser USA site won't ship to Canada, so I sent an email to Senn Canada (no online parts store) and I'm just waiting to hear back.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,387 of 2,080
Nice !!  You should be all set now (unless you decide to swap out the grills next, LOL)  Enjoy your HD 580s !!

May 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,390 of 2,080
Hi!

I bought recently my HD580. I wanted them for years, but always they were something that I could live without (expensive stuff).

Now I have them and I want to buy grills from HD600, I live in Canada and I asked sennheiser support for parts. grills are $28.40 for each. Isn't it to expensive? I also want to buy cable from HD650 and it is $16.67. Is it wort it to pay over $80 for that parts?

Cheers,

Matt

May 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,391 of 2,080
Hi!

I bought recently my HD580. I wanted them for years, but always they were something that I could live without (expensive stuff).

Now I have them and I want to buy grills from HD600, I live in Canada and I asked sennheiser support for parts. grills are $28.40 for each. Isn't it to expensive? I also want to buy cable from HD650 and it is $16.67. Is it wort it to pay over $80 for that parts?

Cheers,

Matt

Personally I don't think hd650 cable is an upgrade. It weakens the airiness of hd580, whose stock cable costs more actually, which makes sense.

May 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #1,392 of 2,080
Hi!

Cheers,

Matt

I replied to your other thread, but I'll repeat it here too...

The grills/cable can be bought for £36 in the UK, so $80 does seem a bit steep.

I think the grills are a worthwhile upgrade, look better and make the sound a little airier. The cable made no sonic difference at all, as far as I could tell!

May 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,393 of 2,080
The HD580 cable is a POS though, the HD650 cable is so much more durable. Instead of ordering the HD600 grills when I had my pair, I DIY'd some of my own and made some cables for them as well. I did buy an HD650 cable though. My DIY cable building skills have improved since then haha

There was a lot of DIY in this pair of headphones.

May 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,394 of 2,080
Is there a guide how to make a cable? I know basic stuff, but is there anything special about them? I will maybe try to do the grills by my self. I don't want to pay ~$55 for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back